Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A friend suggested I may be able to deduct some of my recent remodeling costs on this year's taxes -- I'm not sure how. They couldn't explain why, and I can't think of a reason this would be true.

I'm assuming that these are major remodeling costs, not simple repairs to the property. If the remodeling was for the basement apartment, I'd say it could be depreciated as improvements to the rental unit. If the improvements were elsewhere in the house, they add to the basis of your personal residence, possibly reducing a taxable gain in the future.

Either way, you want to keep track of them, as they affect your taxes in some tax year - either currently or in the future.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.