UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61992  
Subject: A Global Bacon Shortage Is Coming Date: 9/26/2012 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm pretty sure bacon is a continuing theme on Campfire. I would have posted this there, but they probably have me on ignore. Maybe someone here can x-post there.....

Of course this post is tongue in cheek for me, but I believe that we will see shortages of all kinds of food as climate change rears its ugly head. Man may be able to change where they grow food in the future, but you can't just change that scenario over night. There are bound to be shortages as we experience extremes in weather. Just look at the massive drought and extreme heat this summer. This will be a growing problem with an ever increasing world population.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/26/start-hoarding-now-a-glo...
Start Hoarding Now: A Global Bacon Shortage Is Coming
<snip>
The European Union reports that pig herds around the world are “declining at a significant rate.” And this could lead to a serious pork (and most crucially, bacon!) shortage — a problem that Britain’s National Pig Association chairman, Richard Longthorp, now warns is “unavoidable.”
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45615 of 61992
Subject: Re: A Global Bacon Shortage Is Coming Date: 9/26/2012 12:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The European Union reports that pig herds around the world are “declining at a significant rate.” And this could lead to a serious pork (and most crucially, bacon!) shortage — a problem that Britain’s National Pig Association chairman, Richard Longthorp, now warns is “unavoidable.”

Cue someone agitating to remove restrictions on importing Chinese pork products... (It's cheaper to raise hogs on drywall, I'm sure...)

--FY

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45619 of 61992
Subject: Re: A Global Bacon Shortage Is Coming Date: 9/26/2012 3:35 PM
Recommendations: 1
I bought two big packages of really nice lean bacon at Sav-a-lot this morning for $1.59/lb. Each package weighed about three pounds. It was marked down. I also bought some butterball Turkey balogna, two 1 lb packages together for $1.19/each. Oh yeah, I also bought 1 10 lb packages of chicken leg quarters for $4.90/each at Sav-a-lot. I'm all stocked up now on bacon, luncheon meat, and chicken. I've also got quite a bit of boneless pork loin in my freezer, half a cured ham, and a whole turkey. God knows what else is in there. Think I've still got at least one corned beef brisket in there, several packages of hot dogs, etc. I might have to turn down a free deer if my friend at church offers me one.

I ate some baked chicken and noodles for lunch today with a homemade "olive" sauce. It was delicious.

I doubt I'll starve to death.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement