Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: path40a Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 95924  
Subject: Re: Game of the Year Date: 1/4/2003 5:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
A great game to be sure, and I just got back from Phoenix. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to the game (my Dad and brother went instead). However, I did watch all FOUR hours last night on TV.

It reminds me so much of the Fiesta Bowl I did have tickets to and saw in person fifteen years ago, in 1987. The similarities between the two games are incredible, though it was Penn (and not Ohio) State that was the two touchdown underdog in that game:

* both teams were undefeated going into the game with Miami #1 and their opponent #2
* both underdogs (PSU and OSU) had a great defense filled with All Americans
* both favored Miami teams had quick, talented, high & fast scoring offenses
* Miami had lots of turnovers, especially interceptions from their highly touted QB (Testaverde that time)
* Penn State also had a tough nosed, highly touted running back (D.J. Dozier) that scored the winning touchdown and virtually no passing offense (as usual;-)

and except for the Miami field goal that forced overtime last night, even the scores were similar (PSU won 14-10 in 1987).

I don't think last night's game was the best of the year, too many turnovers for that, but it was certainly exciting enough for me to stay up past my bedtime;-) I don't have an alternative to offer since I didn't watch too many this season.

However, I think we could have an interesting thread about the greatest college football games of all time. For instance, one of my personal favorites was my alma mater's upset of #1 (and 7-0) Virginia in Charlottesville, 1990 (the year we won the National Championship!). I was one of the few Tech fans in the UVA student section, decked out in my team's paraphernalia of course, and that game was filled with drama from start to finish (great plays by both offenses and both defenses throughout), though it did end with an anticlimactic field goal. BTW, if you're a Colorado fan, don't bother to reply that your team won the title that year (the Buffs got 5 downs to steal a victory from Missouri and got a gift from an official to keep Ismail's punt return TD from counting to beat Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement