Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
I just found this on the Football Board.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25248564&recscode=2

We have lost Charles, crobinso.

This is sad and shocking. Charles and I talked of food, drinks, and his beloved Redskins. When I worked for the Fool, and even now, he was always one of my favorite posters.

Gwen, please open a tab for everyone who is going to be mourning this great loss.

Gwen, in honor of Charles, please get me a Coors Extra Gold, and keep them coming.

To Charles!

Curt
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Gwen, in honor of Charles, please get me a Coors Extra Gold, and keep them coming.

To Charles!

Aw, cuss it all. I was fond of Charles and thought he'd been absent for awhile.

He wasn't all that old, was he?

Diet Coke, please, Gwen and my thanks to Curt. It's never easy being the bearer of bad news.

Prof
He wasn't all that old, was he?

I found my answer. Way too young:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25011114

Prof

I did a search and found this picture of him he linked to in his pride and joy, the Grand Marquis.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cwrob3/detail?.dir=27ad&.dnm=bfe4.jpg&.src=ph

Curt
Thx Curt.....I had no idea. Just thought my old "friend" Charles was MIA like me for awhile. BTW he was an IRS Agent, FWIW.

In my 8? years or so, I've lost 5 "friends" from these boards. Doesn't make it any easier to "take" - especially when you share personal details of life, and love with them. But I won't trade all those "conversations" over time past - for anything.

Charles was a true gentleman - one of the "great ones" - And I don't say that much these days -

No Gwenn, that tab's on moi today.

KBM (Friend of Charles) FOC
No. of Recommendations: 2
Sad news.

Charles was a favorite from the gitgo. He and I had this banter going about me being a skinny pasty-white geezer and he a very large black man. Chalk and cheese it would seem yet both of us love our grandkids and each of us wore our hearts on our sleeves about them and didn't mind everyone knowing that.

Lord, there's lots of anecdotes about Charles he shared. The time his neighbors mowed his lawn; Charles getting a new car and how he enjoyed it. Little things learned about a person that makes him personable and well liked.

Charles, a glass raised to you. You will be missed.

MichaelR

No. of Recommendations: 1
This day in History - for Charles -

1770: In the Boston Massacre, British troops fire on a raucous mob, killing five Americans and wounding six. Among the victims is Crispus Attucks, a seaman of African American descent.
Learn more about the Boston Massacre.

1897: The American Negro Academy is formed.
Learn more about African American history.

1922: Annie Oakley shoots 98 out of 100 clay pigeons, breaking the existing women's trap-shooting record.
Learn more about Annie Oakley.

1946: Winston Churchill, in a speech in Fulton, Missouri, declares that “from Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an iron curtain has descended across the
European Continent.” Learn more about Winston Churchill.

1956: The motion picture King Kong is shown on television for the first time.

Thanks Curt - to Charles, indeed!

He was a gentleman I wished I knew better.
Dang..... 52 is too darn young. Sad indeed. I wish all his friends and family a smooth transition from heartbreaking mourning to hearttouching memories...... a wise man told me that is when the memories can spark a smile with your tears.

Gwen, a Coors Extra Gold please..... Charles is the one guy, I'll drink one for. :-)

The world would be a better place if more people had Charles' big heart.

yeah, he was a good guy, definately a big big heart. even the occasional posts he would make on the PA board were consistently vitriol free.

sad ... he was younger than me, way too young.

I don't think anyone could say it better.

To Charles.
Wow.

Shock.

That's sad, sad news.

And here I thought he was taking a hiatus. My heart goes out to his wife and family, for the loss of such a congenial, good-natured soul will leave a big hole.

I don't think anyone could say it better.

This one's on me. Make mine an Aberlour with just a splash... it's under the register.

To Charles.

To Charles, may his memory serve as an example to us all.

Where have you been keeping yourself, cold?
To Charles! I am really sorry to hear this.
... at a lost for words. Rest in Peace Charles.
Thank you Curt for posting this here!

Thank you Fly2Retire for sharing this link with me!

Hey Everyone,

Obviously, I'm neither a poster nor a lurker here, but I've been a bit disorganized about all this (sorry) and wanted to offer some updated info.

Karen said she will not be checking Charles' e-mail until next week after things settled down a bit for her. If y'all have Charles' e-mail addy, you might wanna send an e-mail with his name in the "subject line" so that Karen will "see" that e-mail and check it as she might not go through everything...At least not right away.

I will be collecting mail to forward to Karen. I do not feel comfortable sharing her address with Fools I may not know, but if y'all e-mail me Offline, I will give you my address and will forward anything sent here to her.

Of course if you'd prefer, you should be able to send anything to her at the funeral home...Call them first to make sure though.

The funeral home info is:

Henry S. Washington & Sons Co., Inc.
4925 Nannie Helen Burroughs Ave NE
Washington DC 20019
(202) 398-6700

(I found out that they do not have a web site.)

His obituary is supposed to be listed in this Friday's Washington Post. The WP Online requires an account to read their obituary listings and I will link to it when I finally see it, on the BBQ Board.

If you'll e-mail me Offline on Friday, I will respond with the link to his obituary.

Sorry, but it's a bit difficult for me to keep up with all the e-mails and various boards.

However, I am collecting links to the boards that have posted about Charles and will send Karen all the individual posts so that she'll see just how much Charles is loved by his Fool Friends. Please know that I will not be responding individually to all Fool Posts...There are just too many.

And, if you see a post on another board about Charles, please send me the link so that I can collect these for Karen. Thanks!!

Bill a.k.a. ßillƒ

Board links collected so far: 77's Foolish House of Pigskin, All things Sci-Fi, Baby Boomers, BBQ, Art of, Fun(ky), The, Buying and Maintaining a Car, Christian Fools, Current Events, Gwen's Pub, Humor and Urban Legends, Major League Baseball, Skunk(s)
I'm a little late. Charles was a gentleman. He strikes as a man who rarely raised his voice, yet was heard most whenever he spoke. I'd rather he'd gotten over his Coors fixation, but hopefully he is now tending a big BBQ pit in the sky.

Gwen, Make mine a Coors,

Daniel
Advertisement