UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744361  
Subject: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/9/2013 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
Let there be no mistake they're coming for guns. I just saw a little snippet of Biden acting really serious that he's extremely concerned. That tells me some serious gun grabbing is coming. Tomorrow he might be whispering to a biker chick on his lap, but today he's somber and has conviction damn it:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/9/biden-executi...

“The president is going to act,” Mr. Biden said, speaking briefly before a meeting with gun safety and gun victims’ groups Wednesday. “There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken. We haven’t decided what that is yet. But we’re compiling it all with the help [of] the attorney general and all the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action we believe is required.”

Mr. Biden has been tapped by Mr. Obama tapped to head a task force on gun violence, which is scheduled to deliver recommendations to the president by the end of the month.

“We are vitally interested in what you have to say,” Mr. Biden told the group. “And as the president said, if our actions result in only saving one life, they’re worth taking. But I’m convinced we can affect the well-being of millions of Americans and take thousands of people out of harm’s way if we act responsibly.”

“I want to make it clear that we are not going to get caught up in the notion, ‘unless we can do everything, we’re going to do nothing,’” Mr. Biden continued. “It’s critically important we act.”

Mr. Obama has described Dec. 14 — when 26 people, including 20 young children, were shot to death at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. — as “the worst day of my presidency.” Mr. Biden expressed a similar sentiment Wednesday.

“I’ve been doing this a long time,” Mr. Biden said. “Of all the tragic events we’ve endured, I don’t think anything has touched the heart of the American people so profoundly as seeing those — learning of those young children not only being shot but riddled with bullets. Every once in a while there’s something that awakens the conscience of the country, and that tragic event did in a way like nothing I’ve seen in my career.”
--------------------------------------------------------
Maybe i'm a little cynical, but i think the whole faux concern routine is the biggest crock of **** since Obama said he was serious about our debt.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665433 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/9/2013 3:47 PM
Recommendations: 5
Maybe i'm a little cynical, but i think the whole faux concern routine is the biggest crock of **** since Obama said he was serious about our debt.

I think he is coming for the guns and he is coming hard.

I do not think he cares at all, but it can divide and it can distract. Blood and circus get used to it

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665486 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/9/2013 9:49 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think the gun shows are going to be shut down and why not?

Clips will be reduced in capacity as well.

Not sure how they address "assault weapons". That is a slippery concept.
A .223 is also a hunting cartridge. The shape of the stock and receiver is irrelevant. I don't think that anything will be done there.

Could you live with those changes?

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665492 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 12:01 AM
Recommendations: 6
On this issue Obummer and Biden are both as full of poop as Thanksgiving turkeys. I don't blame somebody like Gabby Giffords for getting in the middle of this, but Obummer and Biden ought to be ashamed of themselves for using such a horrible tragedy to advance their political goals. It's unconscionable that lefty politicians are making political hay out of 20 little kids getting shot up, but the evil sons of B's are doing exactly that, and they ought to roast in hell for it.

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665500 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 1:10 AM
Recommendations: 1
How is it a political goal to respond to a national crisis?

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665509 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 7:54 AM
Let there be no mistake they're coming for guns.

This is the lie that more than anything else brought us to the gun problems that we have today. You people thrive on fear and paranoia.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665522 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 9:17 AM
Recommendations: 7
This is the lie that more than anything else brought us to the gun problems that we have today. You people thrive on fear and paranoia.
---------------------------------------------------------------
War on women

They gonna put y'all in chains.

They're gonna push granny off a cliff.

They're going to end medicare as we know it.

Global Warming

There's much more but my fingers are getting tired and i need coffee.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665523 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 9:28 AM
Recommendations: 6
http://www.policymic.com/articles/21526/the-dianne-feinstein...

Gun control has been on the minds of our society and politicians over the past year after high profile shootings such as in Newtown, Conn., and Aurora, Colo. Just recently the summary of a new Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) being proposed by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) was released. It's more aggressive than the one that was passed in 1994, and it doubles down on the same failed policy that did little to address gun violence. Let's break it down.
d
'
u
h
We all know gun control politicians are aiming to ban guns to further their political agenda. This legislation does nothing to prevent the next Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech mass shooting as even Michael Bloomberg points out. I've already detailed in a previous article how the previous ban was not effective, and that this discussion is taking away from addressing the underlying cause of violence in our society. This legislation is just further proof that we need to question the motives of our politicians as this has nothing to do with public safety but everything to do with banning guns.
----------------------------------------------------------
Take one look at that Biden interview and tell me this isn't a gun grab trying to use emotion. It's so transparently a terrible acting job it makes me want to hurl.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665524 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 9:31 AM
Recommendations: 3
"I think the gun shows are going to be shut down and why not?

A .223 is also a hunting cartridge. The shape of the stock and receiver is irrelevant. I don't think that anything will be done there.

Could you live with those changes? "

Dealers at gun shows have to go through federal firearms approval. Period. ever hear of cellphones? Simple to send in the application and get it approved.

HOwever, if you already have a CFL (concealed firearms license), you've already been cleared by the feds and the FBI (background check). You don't even need to go through those steps. Same if you buy at a local store.

Reduce magazine capacity? Wow...from 18 to 10? BUt you can buy all the magazines you need? And it takes all of 3 seconds for a SLOW person to change magazines? So, instead of changing magazines once in CT, he'd have to change them 3 times? Wow...big difference.....remember, he was on the rampage for over 10 minutes.

SERIOUSLY< DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GUNS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

t.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665567 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 14
I think the gun shows are going to be shut down and why not?

I think hardware stores are going to be shut down, and why not?

Tack hammers should be the largest size sold. I mean, who needs a black smith hammer or heaven forbid a sledge hammer. I guess the length of the handle and weight of the head is irrelevant. I don't see too much being done there.

You do realize that more people were killed with hammers last year than firearms?

http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-rights/2013/01/03/fbi-more-peo...

JLC

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665686 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/10/2013 8:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
You do realize that more people were killed with hammers last year than firearms? - JLC

http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-rights/2013/01/03/fbi-more-peo...

--------------------

The article is actually comparing rifles vs hammers, not firearms in general.

Author: SooozFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665708 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/11/2013 12:15 AM
Obummer and Biden ought to be ashamed of themselves for using such a horrible tragedy to advance their political goals. It's unconscionable that lefty politicians are making political hay out of 20 little kids getting shot up, but the evil sons of B's are doing exactly that, and they ought to roast in hell for it.

Did you feel the same way about Republicans after James Brady, Reagan's press secretary, began advocating for reasonable gun control measures after Brady was seriously injured in John Hinkley's attempt on President Reagan's life? Should Brady, too, "roast in hell"? Or do you respect gun control advocates only if they've been shot? Do you advocate that all anti-regulation folks must shut up as well unless they, too, have been shot? Somehow I doubt it.

BTW, if you are scoring people's motives by who benefits, taking on the gun lobby is a costly thing to do politically. And the gun lobby makes a lot of profits on hyped-up sales after these massacres and the ensuing political dustup. But you don't apply your own who-benefits standard to the profit-makers, do you?

Author: SooozFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665710 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/11/2013 12:32 AM
Recommendations: 3

Your correct statement will not draw nearly as many recs as the incorrect claim that "more people were killed with hammers last year than firearms."

Facts -- why bother?

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665718 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/11/2013 1:16 AM
Recommendations: 0
Did you feel the same way about Republicans after James Brady, Reagan's press secretary, began advocating for reasonable gun control measures after Brady was seriously injured in John Hinkley's attempt on President Reagan's life?

Together with his wife, Sarah, who served as Chair of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, formerly known as Handgun Control, Inc., co-founded by N.T. Pete Shields, James Brady subsequently lobbied for stricter handgun control and assault weapon restrictions. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, also known simply as "the Brady Bill", was named in his honor.

Brady wasn't running for public office and had no place in politics per se. Big difference, in my opinion.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665720 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/11/2013 1:41 AM
Recommendations: 14
Your correct statement will not draw nearly as many recs as the incorrect claim that "more people were killed with hammers last year than firearms." Facts -- why bother?

Indeed...why bother? You certainly haven't bothered.

Violence in all its forms accounts for over 1.5 million deaths a year, some 90% of which occur in low- and middle-income countries. This total can be broken down into 52% (or 782,000) due to suicide, 35.5% (or 535,000) due to homicide, and just over 12% (182,000) as a direct result of war or some other form of conflict. Thus, most of the deaths due to violence occur in settings which are at peace and most perpetrators are the victims themselves or people who are close to the victim such as parents, intimate partners, friends and acquaintances.

By way of comparison, the 1.5 millions deaths a year due to violence is greater than the number of deaths due to tuberculosis (1.34 million), road traffic injuries (1.21 million), and malaria (830,000), but slightly less than the number of people who die from HIV/AIDS (1.77 million).

In the U.S. the number of violent deaths by firearms was 31,672 in 2010 for all races, both genders, all ages.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

Of that number, only a small percentage were killed by assault weapons. It's only because the incidences involving assault weapons are so shocking that they cause emotional angst and knee jerk reactions.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/c...

My point is, you're simply spewing. You haven't studied the statistics of the United States and you're not inclined to--so convinced are you that fewer guns means fewer murders. This is simply not the case.

http://factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665760 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/11/2013 9:23 AM
Recommendations: 5

Your correct statement will not draw nearly as many recs as the incorrect claim that "more people were killed with hammers last year than firearms."

Facts -- why bother?

More people were killed by medical malpractice last year than firearms.

Don't worry, Obamacare is getting rid of doctors.

JLC

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665835 of 744361
Subject: Re: A Hanging Followed By A Speedy Trial Date: 1/11/2013 12:22 PM
Recommendations: 1
Should we acknowledge that the U.S. Constitution is filled with “archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions,” and “extricat[e] ourselves from constitutional bondage” by cashiering the document?

“As the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that

the American system of government is broken,” argues Louis Michael Seidman, tasked with teaching constitutional law at the Georgetown University Law Center.

And the Constitution, he asserts, is largely to blame.

The Constitution, he writes, was adopted by a “group of white propertied men who have been dead for two centuries, knew nothing of our present situation . . . and thought it was fine to own slaves.” The Framers acted illegally in drafting the Constitution because they exceeded their power. Moreover, “[n]o sooner was the Constitution in place than our leaders began ignoring it.” And ignoring it is often a good thing: FDR did it for example, and so did the Supreme Court when it banned school segregation.

Read more: http://joemiller.us/2013/01/american-tories-attacking-the-fo...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement