Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tlbate Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6476  
Subject: A helpful easy tip Date: 11/6/2005 9:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
The mother of a friend of mine died recently at age 93. My friend Judy told me that her mother, a long-time widow, was incredibly organized and one thing she had done years ago was to add Judy's name to her checking account. This proved to be a big help when the older woman had an aneurysm and then a stroke and was hospitalized, because Judy was able to continue paying her mother's bills since her name was also on the checking account.

Other things to do that are helpful: make sure you have on hand your elderly parents' Social Security numbers, living wills if they exist, names of attorney and banker and financial advisor, funeral and burial plans, including any documents showing they are already paid for; the deed to the house and the title for the car.

Judy says it's been a tough time for her family emotionally, but they are all so grateful to her mother for making it as easy as possible on her children.

I think putting together these documents for your children and other family members is a good idea even if you are nowhere near elderly. None of us knows how long we have, and while we all hope to give a good long and healthy life, sometimes it doesn't work out that way. It seems to me to be a good idea to be prepared.

Terry
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement