Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tlbate Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6476  
Subject: A helpful easy tip Date: 11/6/2005 9:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
The mother of a friend of mine died recently at age 93. My friend Judy told me that her mother, a long-time widow, was incredibly organized and one thing she had done years ago was to add Judy's name to her checking account. This proved to be a big help when the older woman had an aneurysm and then a stroke and was hospitalized, because Judy was able to continue paying her mother's bills since her name was also on the checking account.

Other things to do that are helpful: make sure you have on hand your elderly parents' Social Security numbers, living wills if they exist, names of attorney and banker and financial advisor, funeral and burial plans, including any documents showing they are already paid for; the deed to the house and the title for the car.

Judy says it's been a tough time for her family emotionally, but they are all so grateful to her mother for making it as easy as possible on her children.

I think putting together these documents for your children and other family members is a good idea even if you are nowhere near elderly. None of us knows how long we have, and while we all hope to give a good long and healthy life, sometimes it doesn't work out that way. It seems to me to be a good idea to be prepared.

Terry
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 591 of 6476
Subject: Re: A helpful easy tip Date: 11/6/2005 11:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I also could sign on my mother's checking account. It was not a joint acc't, which might not be a good idea, but I was added as a signer. All her bills were sent to me and I was then able to take care of all her business even though I lived 800 miles away.

I had a care giver living with her and I was able to keep her at home much longer that way. I also sat in on her will making and knew where all the necessary papers were. I eventually did have to move her into a nursing home, but I was able to take care of the sale of her house with a POA and the help of her attorney.

Carol

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 592 of 6476
Subject: Re: A helpful easy tip Date: 11/7/2005 1:38 AM
Recommendations: 4
Other things to do that are helpful: make sure you have on hand your elderly parents' Social Security numbers, living wills if they exist, names of attorney and banker and financial advisor, funeral and burial plans, including any documents showing they are already paid for; the deed to the house and the title for the car.

It's also important to update these things now and again. I had been shown "the envelope" a good 20 years before my parents died. Mom had been very precise, down to which nightgown she wanted to be buried in. Only trouble was, by the time she died, she'd worn it out, and it was long gone. Tore the house apart, but Dad assured us that she'd continued wearing it.

The thing I remain most grateful to my parents for is the many difficult talks we had about health care decisions. Living wills are great for what they are, but they don't scratch the surface of what modern medical science may come up with between drafting and need. When my 89 year old mother's body "forgot" how to swallow, I didn't hesitate a second before suggesting an alternative feeding tube insertion point to the doctor. I was able to act clearly and quickly because we had discussed such things.

It's also important to remember that when you show up at a medical establishment their assumption is going to be that you want them to do something. There can well come a time that even seeking medical attention is beyond the scope of what you want done. In short, make sure that those who will speak for you when you can't will know what you want them to say.

Phil

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 593 of 6476
Subject: Re: A helpful easy tip Date: 11/7/2005 11:02 PM
Recommendations: 3
It's also important to update these things now and again.

Wish I could rec this several times...

Mom and Pop's original Will (c 1954) was updated in 1975. And had to be updated in 2005 to reflect changes in the laws, despite a review in 2002. And Mom's Living Will also had changes in wording to reflect interpretations in 2004. Nothing really changed in the intent or direction since the original '54 Will and 2001 LW, but the wording, to reflect changes in the Laws.

Lawyers are picky.
Laws are Laws.

jC

Author: LadyIanna Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4805 of 6476
Subject: Re: A helpful easy tip Date: 2/28/2011 9:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
I think putting together these documents for your children and other family members is a good idea even if you are nowhere near elderly. None of us knows how long we have, and while we all hope to give a good long and healthy life, sometimes it doesn't work out that way. It seems to me to be a good idea to be prepared.

Having lost my oldest brother (a healthy active person) suddenly in a skiing accident this past month, I can't emphasis this enough. I believe he had the fore-thought to take care of some of this, but I can't even imagine the paperwork that my SIL and nieces have to deal with along with dealing with their grief.

Please be sure to make your decisions now, while you still can, and not leave the burden to your loved ones.

Lady Ianna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement