Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zathrus1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23025  
Subject: A Kind word for the Fools Date: 1/11/2001 8:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 42
Hi Gang,

I just read through the last 100 or so postings, and it seems a lot of them were brimming for distaste of Fool ideas and concepts.

Well, I've gotta through a couple of thoughts in here.

First, I guess those of us who see the light regarding TA, Canslim etc, feel pretty darn smart at this point, at least compared to the Rule Breakers, Makers, Takers and Fakers. We do however, have to remember that this knowledge did not come as a divine revelation. It required a lot of work and study. In my own case, that work and study was only possible because of the things I had previously learned on the Fool boards. Personally, I looked at the Canslim board 2 years ago, and I had no idea what anyone was talking about here. The basic language and ideas were simply not comprehensible to me at that point. After I'd put in more time leaning Rule Maker methodology as well as Mechanical Investing, I came back and understood much more of what was being said.

At the risk of using a religious analogy, I was amazed because my wife's church did not believe in going door to door and getting recruits. I asked her minister about that, and his answer was perfect. "If God wants someone to come to this church, He'll take care of that". I think that makes sense. We can preach the gospel of TA as long as we want, but people will only hear that message if they are ready to. I came back here because I saw that the other methods I knew did not fair well in a downturn. I realized there had to be something better. I was ready for a different church. If Otter is not ready for this, that's his business. If other Fools are ready, they'll show up.

The other point I'll bring up is this: I cannot possibly express the gratitude I have for what the Fools have done. They told me that I was the only one who had to take ownership of my money. They told me that I was smart enough to do it. They provided a forum for all of us to learn from each other. They taught me to identify the well-dressed wise man, and resist his charms. You and I may not agree with all of the methods discussed on this web site, but I think we should be glad that we can discuss this and other issues, free of charge.

Just my $.02
Gary

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement