No. of Recommendations: 2
A large number of people simply don't make a lot of money (something like 50% households make under $50K, and 30% under $35K) so saving is much of an option. Not to mention many jobs may not provide any kind of 401K plans with matching money.

I've been lucky and done reasonable well but others haven't (in some cases their own fault but not always). Some people went into various trades and never expected them to end and when they ended it was late to find a new trade.

But yeah, I hope I'm never in that situation although health is always my big concern since there are a lot of things you can't control.

And there are too many people who simply spend money on needless things and live paycheck to paycheck on good salaries because they "needed" that large house and the expensive SUV, etc.

I try to tell some young coworkers not to waste a lot of money on financial advisors but too many say the guy is a family friend, etc. w/o realizing they aren't getting useful info and instead put into costly funds, insurance, etc.

A long time friend is going to retire (doesn't have to but the work place has gotten toxic to him) and he has had his money in a short-term U.S. Treasury securities for years and missed out on the market's gains. He was too worried about losing money. Fortunately he doesn't have any kids or wives to worry about but his retirement could have been much better with at least a diversified portfolio.

You can only do so much.

Print the post  

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.