Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8320  
Subject: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/8/2012 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I launched this board by requesting that TMF initiate it. I didn't realize it had been that long ago. It wasn't long after Enterprise had started and that was an early topic of conversation.

I'd missed the 2 hour first episode when it was broadcast, and never saw it back to back in all the years since. People were talking about was the show any good, people complained about breaks from canon, about what they saw as weak female characters and lack of diversity in the crew, etc.

So, I watched that opening episode tonight (streamed from Netflix) for the first time all in one viewing. IMO, it holds up very very well. Was the series uneven at times? Yes, but so were all the series, all of them had episodes that maybe shouldn't have been done.

I just thought I'd put this out there. Enjoy the upcoming movie!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8251 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 9:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I never got into Enterprise, although I had a soft spot for Dr Phlox. Ditto Voyager, the holographic doctor and occasionally B'lanna and Seven of Nine (or as a friend called her, CyberBoob!). What's worse about Enterprise is that I had to mute the opening music just like I mute commercials--ugh.

My favorite Treks are Deep Space 9 and Next Gen. TOS doesn't hold up that well these days either IMO, although I loved it at the time in my late teens/early 20s. I like the movie reboot and its cast--and Benedict Cumberbatch (sounds like a Dickens character-), but trailers for the new one don't look promising--hope I'm wrong about that.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8252 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 11:01 AM
Recommendations: 0
TNG is my favorite. HOWEVER, I have nothing but fond memories for TOS and where I was in life when it aired (and my then GF having a color TV which I did not). Hokey? Yes, often, but charming, and brave in what it was trying to do and did.

What amazed fairly non-social being that I was and am was just how many held the series in high regard to help trigger SciFi (with he help of Spielberg and Lucas to name two) later taking over the world of entertainment.

Ken

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8253 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 1:48 PM
All in all, I think Enterprise holds up better than Voyager. Vger had some really weak writing at times and weak character development. Can anyone tell me anything about Harry Kim's character? Other than that he was a wimp who played clarinet, I mean.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8254 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 2:02 PM
"Can anyone tell me anything about Harry Kim's character?"

He was inscrutable.

Ken

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8255 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 4:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Can anyone tell me anything about Harry Kim's character?"
------------------
He was inscrutable.

He was adorable!

my then GF having a color TV which I did not

IIRC TOS started my senior year of high school, but we weren't allowed to watch TV on school nights (yes, way!). I didn't have a TV at college, but caught a couple of episodes in my BF's suite on a b&w set. In the 70s I saw reruns on my 12" b&w TV. I went to a sci-fi shindig at a local college and saw my first TOS episodes in color--and on a movie screen--WOWEE! I had no idea what color the uniforms were <*giggle-giggle-snort*>. In the early 80s I got my first color TV (thanks, Mom) and finally saw all the reruns in color--kewwwwl.

ASIDE
Right about that time I heard an interview with Gene Roddenberry on the radio and he told the number of episodes (77?). Remember, I watched them entirely in reruns so I was always in hopes of seeing a new one whenever I tuned in. Although I don't know episdes by name, I know them by what happened/guest stars, and I quickly scribbled down every epi I could remember. Yup, I'd seen 'em all, many of them 2, 3 or 4 times. Boohoo! Luckily, we got new series, movies and toy tricorders. Yay!

=alstro, Trekkie (fave all-time Trek character is Garek)

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8256 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 6:34 PM
IIRC TOS started my senior year of high school, but we weren't allowed to watch TV on school nights

I was a bit younger. I remember sneaking out and crawling under the end tables next to the couch so I could watch it after my bed time. IIRC, I never got caught doing that. I asked my mom years later if I was really getting away with it or if they were just letting me pretend to get away with it. She didn't know what I was talking about so I guess it was a successful cloaking mode.

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8257 of 8320
Subject: Re: A little more than 11 years ago... Date: 12/10/2012 7:50 PM
Enterprise did start off nicely and did okay for a while. Then someone got a wild hair up the whatever and it really went off track until the final episode. It was the only part of the franchise that I could not relate to.

I still enjoy ST in it's many modes (minus the middle part of Enterprise), even unto the new alternate version. Including the cartoon versions that I still have on beta tape.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement