Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A living trust maybe a better option. It helps avoid the cost of probate but if she becomes disabled you can handle her assets for her.
It can be modified any time prior to her death.

Transferring the property to you would loss both her $250,000 exemption on the sale of a primary residence and lose the stepped up basis on inherited property. Currently she has no plans to move but she is only 57. Twenty to thirty years from now she may want to move.

The other issue is medicare. If she expects to need medicare to cover nursing home expenses then planning needs to be done.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.