Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: thebeast101 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35757  
Subject: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 11:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 110
Dear Parent:

Feel free to lurk and post here at will. It is a forum open to all that partake of TMF and you are welcome to do so. However, in order to maintain a bit of purpose and decorum, please abide by a few rules:

1) We have chosen not to have kids. This choice is not a question of your values or your choices, but rather a reflection of our individual circunstances, beliefs and desires.

2) We are confortable with our choice of being CF. Some of us are willing to discuss our rationale, reasons and motives, some are not. Either way, our choice has no direct impact in your life (unless you count the fact that we subsidize your kids education, and we pay more in income taxes because we do not get child tax credits, etc.) and therefore do not expect us to explain this choice to you or respond amicably when you question this choice.

3) Some of us actually like children. We have nephews and nieces as well as friends that have children. Calling us "child hater" or variations on the theme is not exactly adding to any discussion.

4) Some children (not yours, of course) will misbehave. we realize that and actually expect it. However, in these occasions we expect parents to take control of the situation and either make their child stop or remove the child from the public. This is not about hating children, this is about wanting to live in a civilized space and being able to share that space with total strangers.

5) While "children are our future", this works both ways, do you really want that brat at the grocery store running the company where you have invested for your retirement? Somehow I think that Ken Lay and company were spoiled brats as children.

6) Some of us chose not to become parents because we realize the extent of the responsibilities and duties of being a parent. We also realize the level and length of the commitment required to be a good parent and decided that this path was not for us. Therefore, when we see parents shirking the responsibilities that they either directly or indirectly chose to assume we get a bit upset. This board is a safe place where we can rant about these parents with people of similar values.

7) We don't (necessarily) think that we would be better parents than any of the ones we rant about however, we don't have to be. You see, we chose not to have children.

8) To various degrees, we choose to partake in activities where kids will not interfere. Be it at a romantic dinner for two or an adventure vacation for 10. There are times and places, even in a child centric world, where kids are not appropriate. We hope that parents can appreciate that.

So please lurk and post all you want, even give us tips on how to approach parents and (mis)behaving children, we are certainly looking for effective advice in living in a child centric world. But please, don't preach, cajole, condescend, or attempt to convert us.

Thank you

Respectifully submitted by one half of a CF couple,

Beast.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Sensormatic Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14669 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 11:09 AM
Recommendations: 1
So please lurk and post all you want, even give us tips on how to approach parents and (mis)behaving children, we are certainly looking for effective advice in living in a child centric world. But please, don't preach, cajole, condescend, or attempt to convert us.

This is a fair posting. I apppreciate you taking the time to make things clear for me on this board.

Darkside

Author: Jhereg Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14681 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 0
...So please lurk and post all you want, even give us tips on how to approach parents and (mis)behaving children, we are certainly looking for effective advice in living in a child centric world. But please, don't preach, cajole, condescend, or attempt to convert us.

OOoh, that was good.

I'm going to have to shamelessly steal it and adapt it in case my other favorite board (religion-themed) starts getting trolled.

Peace,
El

Author: Gimmeaminute Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14687 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:08 PM
Recommendations: 10
4) Some children (not yours, of course) will misbehave. we realize that and actually expect it. However, in these occasions we expect parents to take control of the situation and either make their child stop or remove the child from the public. This is not about hating children, this is about wanting to live in a civilized space and being able to share that space with total strangers.

That just beared repeating. Can't count how many times I have been sooooooooooooooooo tempted to grab someone else's child and remove them from the premises. Mine have been trained with counting, I say one......, if I say two they know they are to stop the behavior immediately since I have never said three, the punishment was handed out before that.

When everyone figures out how to approach the other parents of the children who don't/won't/can't behave without starting WWIII, please let me know too.

Deannda
tries to be a considerate parent and respect those who choose not to be parents

Author: Sensormatic Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14688 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:16 PM
When everyone figures out how to approach the other parents of the children who don't/won't/can't behave without starting WWIII, please let me know too.

This could as huge as Microsoft when first created. The possibilities are endless.

tries to be a considerate parent and respect those who choose not to be parents

I concur. Children can lean on that last nerve...

Author: carsonb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14689 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 6
>>>When everyone figures out how to approach the other parents of the children who don't/won't/can't behave without starting WWIII, please let me know too.<<<

Move to Europe. I lived in Paris for 10 years (ages 3 - 13), and it is common practice in France for pretty much anyone to correct the behavior of a bratty kid, whether the parent is present or not. Parents don't take offense to it; if their kid is being a monster and someone comes along and tells said monster to get his act together, the parent either seconds the idea or lets it roll off of his/her back. I've been going all over the world since I was an infant and I really have to say the only place I've seen parents take offense to someone else correcting their children is the U.S.

Author: LSRSilk Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14690 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:27 PM
Recommendations: 2
Rec, rec, rec, rec, rec, rec, rec.

Sorry, Beast, I could only do one officially. :-)

-Karen
(Who's sister has lodged a complaint against her for referring to her nephews, whom she does love, as "Little Critters".)

Author: cevera1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14691 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:30 PM
Recommendations: 82
Time for another little Mikie story. Please refer to my earlier link.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19040827&sort=username

My son Mikie, now almost 4, is a real b*****d. I ran short on beer last Saturday so I grabbed my little hoodlum and loaded up the Excursion (damn, that things big) and drove over to the grocery store. I whip the monster into a handicap spot and we are off. Now, Mikie, he lives for the grocery store. He loves nothing better than grabbing his own shopping cart and racing it down the isles. This also allows me to get my shopping done in peace. So, I'm comparing the price of a 12 shooter of bud light and coors when I hear this big crash and a howl of pain. With all the child haters in this world I figure I should go check on the brat, make sure someone isn't bullying him. Sure enough, some b**ch is talking harshly to my boy. She actually accused him of running into her.

"Hey woman, lay of my son……..he wouldn't do something like that"

"Your son is a bit young to be running around the store alone isn't he?"

"Is there a law against it?"

"He could hurt himself or someone else, not to mention causing damage"

"How many kids you got lady?"

"NONE? WHY Does it matter?"

"It's obvious you don't know s**t. Maybe you should be more considerate of the needs of families. You're a selfish b***h"

That shut her up. Anyway, little Mikie was upset so I opened a box of fruitsnacks for him to munch on….. He tasted one and spit it out. Hell, if he's not gonna eat them I'm sure as hell not gonna buy them….so I put them back on the shelf. Man, have you ever seen a 3 year old pick his nose? I swear, sometimes I think that kid has pulled his brain out. Anyway, He still wanted a snack so I let him go down the bulk candy isle. It's kind of like the McDonald's playland of the grocery store. He can actually touch all of the candy to see which he thinks is the best. He likes to open all the doors and collect all the those little 'shovels' and moves them all around. That keeps him busy for awhile so I go and checkout the magazine rack…. Anyway, I checking out the new issue of Guns and Ammo and some stock clerk interrupts me. It seems that Mikie is mixing up the different types of candy. The kid is so freakin cute, he's got chocolate smeared all over himself…..how can you get mad at something so cute? The clerk looks irritated so I figure we'll wrap things up (the game starts soon anyway…… ). We pass by the chip aisle (need some for game) and the boy beats up a few bags of Lays and Doritos……. They need to put those things up higher so they don't get all smashed up.

We get up to the check out counter and I'm pissed!!! Every register is full…….. Screw this. I'm using the express line. You know what would be a great idea: stores should create a family express line. If you have children and say less than 50 items….. You get to use that checkout. No kids, no sweat, the regular lines are still available….. And you can't possibly know what its like to have to take care of a family. Every little bit of time is important.

Thanks for listening everyone. Little Mikie will be starting school soon and I'm sure I'll have lots of stories for you. Have you noticed how high school taxes are? I'm getting the shaft on that deal.'

;^)
Cliff

Author: Gimmeaminute Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14692 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:51 PM
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

I really want this feature fixed, LOLOL!

Deannda
The sad part is that there are parents just like that

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14693 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:52 PM
Recommendations: 16
I lived in Paris for 10 years (ages 3 - 13), and it is common practice in France for pretty much anyone to correct the behavior of a bratty kid, whether the parent is present or not.

Then who teaches them to be arrogant, self absorbed, irrelevant asses when they grow up?

mick

Author: carsonb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14694 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 1:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
>>>>I lived in Paris for 10 years (ages 3 - 13), and it is common practice in France for pretty much anyone to correct the behavior of a bratty kid, whether the parent is present or not. <<<<

***Then who teaches them to be arrogant, self absorbed, irrelevant asses when they grow up?
mick***

That's not taught, it is genetic.

It is, however, a pleasure to go out to dinner in a French restaurant, from the perspective that there won't be screaming, ill-behaved children to ruin your meal.

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14695 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 2:06 PM
Recommendations: 4
That's not taught, it is genetic.
It is, however, a pleasure to go out to dinner in a French restaurant, from the perspective that there won't be screaming, ill-behaved children to ruin your meal.

I agree and the food is fabulous to boot, however the the pleasure of not having any kids there is pretty much eradicated by the rude, ill-behaved wait staff.

mick

Author: doubtit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14705 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 3:18 PM
Great post the beast101 !!

If I go to a new seafood restaurant that I like, I tell my friends.
Sometimes I forget, I tell a friend that doesn't like seafood.
====================================================================

I wish all people would carefullly study the contract before entering the business of being a parent or being a spouse.

I helped move my 86 year old mom into an assited living apartment today. My 18 year old son, my wife & my brother helped.

I am thankful for my parents, my wife, our children and my siblings.

Author: slaramee Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14730 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 4:53 PM
Move to Europe. I lived in Paris for 10 years (ages 3 - 13), and it is common practice in France for pretty much anyone to correct the behavior of a bratty kid, whether the parent is present or not. Parents don't take offense to it; if their kid is being a monster and someone comes along and tells said monster to get his act together, the parent either seconds the idea or lets it roll off of his/her back. I've been going all over the world since I was an infant and I really have to say the only place I've seen parents take offense to someone else correcting their children is the U.S.

Wow. That is the greatest thing I ever heard. In this country if you go near another bratty kid you usually have a choice of dealing with an expletive laden lecture from the kid's dad "Gus", or possibly at threat of fisticuffs for your well intentioned interference.

Now I have another reason to love the French. Interestingly enough, if you replace "bratty kid" with a current U.S. President, this story still holds true. Of course the result didn't quite work out the same. You know those bratty kids with the super rich and powerful parent....

-Scott

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14745 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/11/2003 9:07 PM
But please, don't preach, cajole, condescend, or attempt to convert us.

Oh, but they need to, because they need to justify their own existence and choices.

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14765 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 10:17 AM
Then who teaches them to be arrogant, self absorbed, irrelevant asses when they grow up?
mick

Out of curiousity, how many French people do you, personally, know?

Author: sharonl74 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14766 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 10:17 AM
Beast:

Great post!!! I followed the link from the "best of" page...

I have kids, I have friends without kids, I know it's a choice thing.

I work in a grocery store, and I have nooooo problem speaking firmly to a child (or an adult for that matter) who is being disruptive, or damaging the product.

On the other hand, you said:

unless you count the fact that we subsidize your kids education

perhaps you have forgotten that you are just reimbursing the system for the education you've already received?

Respectifully submitted,
sharon

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14768 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 10:23 AM
perhaps you have forgotten that you are just reimbursing the system for the education you've already received?

So what did the property taxes paid for by my immigrant parents go to?

CK

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14781 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 12:01 PM
My third and probably final post on this board.

Sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest. Here is a suggestion though; if you don't want visitors coming to this board then you might want to think twice before you recommend a post. The way that I got here was through the posts that were recommended on the “best of page”;

http://boards.fool.com/BestOf.asp

I am pretty sure that this is also they way that many other unwelcome people probably get here.

One final thought though;

If you don't like children, don't act like a child.

Greg

Author: precious1965 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14783 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 12:13 PM
Recommendations: 8
I disagree. I too found this board through the Best of list. However, I like to think that I respect the board culture in posting here. I can relate to the CF issue -- very, very much so. A review of my posts here might support that assertion.

This respect for board culture applies to all boards, not just this one. Whenever a poster discovers a new board, it is just common courtesy and manners to get to know thy audience.

I would like to see continued reccing to your (formal plural) hearts' content.

Precious1965
-- former breeder, awaiting insurance approvals, pre-surgery testing, and scheduling.

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14784 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 12:21 PM
Recommendations: 6
I visit the Political Asylum and the Atheist Fools boards from the "Best Of" lists. That doesn't give me the license to *post* there without checking out the board culture and being sensitive to it. That would be rude.

Know your audience.

CK

Author: DeathQuiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14786 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 12:23 PM
I disagree. I too found this board through the Best of list. However, I like to think that I respect the board culture in posting here. I can relate to the CF issue -- very, very much so. A review of my posts here might support that assertion.

This respect for board culture applies to all boards, not just this one. Whenever a poster discovers a new board, it is just common courtesy and manners to get to know thy audience.

Didn't I say something in an earlier post about some parent-posters knowing I appreciated their posts? I thought so, baby. ;)

DQ

Author: precious1965 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14788 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 12:26 PM
teeheee DQ, you know I lust after you.

-- mmmmmm, pecan mud-slide on a motorcycle trip

Author: Amphian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14795 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 1:14 PM

At least in my case, no. I went to Catholic schools and have a huge amount in loans from my degrees. I'm all in favor of educating kids, but not the way my district does it. When they ran four simultaneous, separate referendums asking to collectively double the high levy we had already approved, it was voted down. What did the parents threaten to sue the school district over - loss of subjects? increased class size? cutting extracurriculars? Nope - the fact that parents with kids closer than two miles to the school would now have to contribute to the cost of busing their kids. Obviously, we could afford to cut the budget from what it is now.

Amphian

Author: Amphian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14796 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 1:17 PM
Recommendations: 19
if you don't want visitors coming to this board then you might want to think twice before you recommend a post. The way that I got here was through the posts that were recommended on the “best of page”;

I am pretty sure that this is also they way that many other unwelcome people probably get here.

This sounds familiar.

"But, officer, if she didn't want my attention, she shouldn't have been drinking and dressed like that in a bar. "

It's called "Blame the Victim".

Amphian

Author: cevera1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14798 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 1:27 PM
Recommendations: 13
Sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest. Here is a suggestion though; if you don't want visitors coming to this board then you might want to think twice before you recommend a post. The way that I got here was through the posts that were recommended on the “best of page”;

http://boards.fool.com/BestOf.asp

well, I must apologize to the folks here if I 'brought' anybody to the board. I am familiar with many of the posters on this board from other locales within the fool community. I like to see their thoughts on different topics (by looking at their profiles), so I have ended up here several times.

I like humor.... and my posts were in good fun..... I haven't received any complaints so it irks me that you responded and used my post as an example. My post didn't bring you over to this board....and it surely didn't 'cause' you to stir up a hornets nest. When I see a 'best of' post for the LBYM board, I don't immediately run over there and tell them that they are cheap bastards..... I don't run over to the Atheist fools board and tell them they are going to hell. I don't run over to the Christian Fools board and tell them they are a bunch of ignorant sheep, either.

worrying about reccing a post because it might attract people who might disagree doesn't sound appealing to me.

maybe I should go back to writing humorous posts.

cliff

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14802 of 35757
Subject: Re: A message to parents who lurk and post here Date: 6/12/2003 2:52 PM
I like humor.... and my posts were in good fun..... I haven't received any complaints so it irks me that you responded and used my post as an example. My post didn't bring you over to this board....and it surely didn't 'cause' you to stir up a hornets nest. When I see a 'best of' post for the LBYM board, I don't immediately run over there and tell them that they are cheap bastards..... I don't run over to the Atheist fools board and tell them they are going to hell. I don't run over to the Christian Fools board and tell them they are a bunch of ignorant sheep, either.

worrying about reccing a post because it might attract people who might disagree doesn't sound appealing to me.

Your posts made me laugh hysterically - complaints? Heck no, they were hilarious!! I agree with you completely that while a "best of" post may cause me to investigate a new board, it doesn't make me go there and insult/upset/etc. the individuals there.

And as far as recs... your post made me laugh, I thought it was very much worth reading. I shouldn't rec it for fear that someone might read it then come here and cause problems? Um...no way.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement