UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1977252  
Subject: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 11:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 78
Not only was it rock moss, but a moss found only on an arctic Canadian island.

Years latter a chemical property from that moss was used in a drug call Gleevec which treats lukemia very effectively. In many instances Gleevec negates the necessity of the incredibly expensive and painful bone transplant therapies.

If idiot teabaggers ahd there way the original research would never have been done and we would have no Gleevec.

Teabaggers wonder why they get zero respect.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2ndHalf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868082 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am certain we will get similar results from the snail sex study.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868090 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 12:28 PM
Recommendations: 6
"I am certain we will get similar results from the snail sex study."

The Bible told you so?

I think scientists generally don't know what they'll get until they get it.

Have any of the scientists involved made any pubic statements of the purposes and goals of the study and potential practical uses? Or is it just the right wing spin feeding on itself as usual without seeking any relevant factual information?

Ken

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868092 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 29
I think scientists generally don't know what they'll get until they get it.

You're wasting your time Ken. You can't fix stupid.

They're still trying to tell me what we gained by peeing away two trillion, and counting, in Iraq.

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868100 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 2:09 PM
Recommendations: 1
Have any of the scientists involved made any pubic statements of the purposes and goals of the study and potential practical uses? Or is it just the right wing spin feeding on itself as usual without seeking any relevant factual information?

No ... they would be embarrassed to tell people they were studying snail sex

Bears

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868111 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 2:59 PM
Recommendations: 24

Years later a chemical property from that moss was used in a drug call Gleevec which treats lukemia
(emphasis added)

The scientific method (asking questions, proposing answers, testing those answers, rinse and repeat) and the applied science and engineering that complements it are the only things that keeps us out of caves, fearful of every night noise.

Basic research always pays off. This might be the only true absolute we as a species have learned.

The time frame for that payoff, though, is what's unknown.

Jim

Author: NoSeeUm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868141 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 8:04 PM
Recommendations: 2
.......a gazillion dollars to find a brain in the average Wingnut.

Jimbo

Author: olRoger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868149 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
TMFGebinr:

Basic research always pays off. This might be the only true absolute we as a species have learned.

Overall, basic research pays off.

When exploring the unknown, by definition one does not know what will be found. (This is not original, but I heard it at least 20 years ago) When looking where no one has looked before, possibly in ways not available before, no one knows what will be found.

1) Most things will not pay off, maybe other than new knowledge.

2) Somethings will pay off handsomely, but maybe not for a long time or until combined with other exploration; or possibly only by pointing to someplace else to look, that is as a signpost to riches.

3) If truly original, it is not possible, a priori to distinguish 1) from 2).

Returns are good for small investments. Large investments are often not looking in new corners, but may be following sign posts.

ol R

Author: ShouldKnowBetter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868150 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/29/2013 10:17 PM
If idiot teabaggers ahd there way the original research would never have been done and we would have no Gleevec.

Or maybe someone else other than the government could pay for it. The question comes down to what you can afford! Looking at it another way, you only have 100 dollars to spend. Out of that 100, you have to paid for housing (33), food(20), taxes (25). That leaves you 22 dollars to paid for:

Education 10
Security: 15
Heath: 12
Transportation: 5
Entertainment: 2

Where do you cut?

The above study falls in the category of education. Cut the wrong amount from one category and every other category loses 25-50 % efficient.

Good luck

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868155 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/30/2013 1:05 AM
Years later a chemical property from that moss was used in a drug call Gleevec which treats lukemia very effectively. In many instances Gleevec negates the necessity of the incredibly expensive and painful bone transplant therapies. If idiot teabaggers ahd there way the original research would never have been done and we would have no Gleevec.

The end result could have just as easily gone the other way--zip, zero, nada--and usually does.

If a private entity wants to spend itself into oblivion on any kind of moss, twig, grass or seed in pursuit of scientific miracles, that's their business--not the business of government.

Which is why drugs are so expensive.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868184 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/30/2013 11:56 AM
Recommendations: 39

Gleevec? Hell, penicillin!

Florey's team did not have the resources to manufacture the pure penicillin in large amounts. They grew the mould in milk bottles, bed pans, ad milk churns and turn it into pure penicillin using a process of freeze-drying devised by Chain. In October 1940 they tried it out for the first time on a human - a policeman, Albert Alexander, who was suffering from blood-poisoning and close to death. He began to recover after receiving penicillin, only to die when supplies ran out.

The curative qualities of the drug were now beyond question. But mass producing the drug for commercial use still remained a problem. Only large chemical companies, with their resources could solve the problem, but it was unlikely they would be willing to get involved. By this time Britain was deeply engaged in the Second World War against the might of Nazi Germany. The British chemical industry was too busy producing explosives to become involved in the manufacture of penicillin.

Florey realized that penicillin would be able to cure the deep infections caused by war wounds. He decided to visit the USA to try and persuade American chemical firms to invest in the mass production of penicillin. To begin with, he was unsuccessful. Then, in December 1941, the USA entered the war after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour. Soon the US government had made grants available to firms wishing to buy expensive equipment to make penicillin. When the Allies launched the D-day invasion of Europe there was sufficient penicillin to treat all the wounded and thousands of lives were saved. In 1945 the Americans estimated that almost a sixth of all wounded men were saved. They were given penicillin to avoid death from infected wounds.

Medicine Through Time, Nigel Kelly, Bob Rees, Paul Shuter; Heinemann Books

Would it have happened eventually? Sure, but tens of thousands of Allied soldiers would have died in the meantime. Pity all those dumb bureaucrats wasted all those good tax monies on unproven technologies just in the hope of saving people's lives. Don't they know how much better of people would have been with a few extra bucks in their pockets to buy comic books and licorice drops?

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868190 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/30/2013 12:28 PM

Penicillin? Hell, nuclear bombs!

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868192 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/30/2013 12:38 PM
f idiot teabaggers ahd there way the original research would never have been done and we would have no Gleevec.

Penicillin? Hell, nuclear bombs!

Because is the government does not pay for everything nothing would ever get done. If the reasoning were as sharp as the thinking of rock moss it would be a drastic improvement.

Heck were the government not paying us to breath we would not even breath.

Friggin Tea Baggers want us to not breath they must be stopped!!!!!!

I have this odd feeling the folks are so concerned about moss because they identify quite closely with it.

At this point it is hard to beleive that these folks do not have a mad teenage crush on Tea Baggers, this is really how a pre-teen acts among their friends about the cute red-haired girl

Hey, if you guys throw me a couple of bucks I can get you a chance to actually talk to a tea bagger.

What a group of uber-clowns.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868265 of 1977252
Subject: Re: A million to study rock moss Date: 3/30/2013 10:53 PM

Years latter a chemical property from that moss was used in a drug call Gleevec which treats lukemia very effectively. In many instances Gleevec negates the necessity of the incredibly expensive and painful bone transplant therapies.

So is Novartis giving the US taxpayer a piece of the $4,500 per month/per person Gleevec pie - or paying them back for that original $1,000,000 research investment?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement