Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bhellweg One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40850  
Subject: A modest proposal... Date: 7/14/2000 3:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 37
From reading the board here, it is very clear that the future viability of the F4 system is in doubt.
Several of the posters including snoop, qwerty and others have posted strong evidence that shows that the success of the F4 in the past was due to datamining.

In my view, a strategy such as this should be assumed not to work, until it is proven to work, rather than the other way around. Despite a lot of evidence that points to datamining, the official TMF position on the F4 is still that it works, although more testing into the theory is being carried out at this time.

During all of this time, the daily F4 column has been as positive and confident about the success and viability of the F4 as ever; it is as though the destructive rumbling of the message board are kept below the surface, like lava in a volcano about to erupt. The controversy about the F4's validity is referred to only very rarely, and only in passing, and is, in my view, not readily apparent to the casual observer.

There is some precedent for message posters writing the daily portfolio report. (e.g. GLSmyth writes the DRiP report sometimes) In addition, in keeping with the Foolish values of educating, amusing, and enriching, it certainly seems Foolish to point out that there is some question about the validity of the F4 method, and to at least present this information in a forum as visible as that promoting the F4. Finally, I can understand that as the TMF staff responsible for the FF believes in the FF, they generally write pro-FF articles.

Therefore I propose that once a week, the TMF publishes, as the FF port recap, an article by one of the many very intelligent FF naysayers who make this board so useful. I personally think that should they be willing, datasnooper or qwerty would be excellent choices.
I would hope that this FF-bear article would focus entirely on the FF investing method, rather than on TMFs promotion of the FF.

(I hate to ask for recs, but if you think this is a good idea, please rec this post)

Cheers,

Ben

PS> Are there any Volunteers, should the offer come?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement