Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Pituophis Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 971  
Subject: Re: Study hopeful for world's forests Date: 12/22/2006 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
A new technique for measuring the state of the world's forests shows the future may not be as bad as previously feared.

I'm WAY behind on reading this board but I had to add my 2c to this thread (this is a specialty of mine).

Are the world's "forests" growing? Let me answer that with this example. Historically the US southeast from Virginia to eastern Texas was dominated by 92 million acres of longleaf pine forests. As a climax community, a longleaf pine forests is often referred to as a longleaf savannah - widely spaced mature pines with a grassy understory. The longleaf ecosystem is a hotbed of biodiversity, averaging something like 40 species per square meter.

Today, only 3% of the historical longleaf forest remains. Does that mean that these areas are now unforested deserts? That depends on how you define "unforested" (and it also depends on how you define "deserts"). When the old growth longleaf forests was finally and completely cut over by the 1910s, it was replanted with faster growing species, mainly loblolly and slash pine. These trees are planted close together in rows after the ground has been prepared and all "competing" species have been eliminated with herbicides. In a few years the closely spaced trees form a closed canopy, and few species can make a living in the dark understory - wildlife biologists commonly refer to young pine plantations as "pine deserts". At about the age of 30 or 40 the pines are cut down again and turned into pulp and the process starts over. THAT is the "forest" that stands today in the place where the longleaf forest stood.

Is there more biomass - yeah, probably. But, imo, they're not forests. It's just agriculture. But if you just measure biomass and CO2 then yeah, forests are expanding. I imagine you can extrapolate this scenario throughout the world.

So let's cut down the rest of the tropical rain forests and eliminate 10s of 1000s of species, and then replant them in one or two species like eucalyptus or chinese tallow that grow really fast and in a few years we can all pat ourselves on the back that the problem of shrinking forests has been fixed.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement