UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eswan Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4927  
Subject: Re: Epistemology . . . Date: 8/3/2000 10:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
A number of times I have posted the following or something similar:

There is no truth in words. Words can be thought of as packets of energy that cause an electro/chemical reaction in the brain. All brains are different and electro/chemical reactions and connects are different.
Therefore the meanings of words within a human brain are inherently subjective. If this were true it would account for the tower of Babel that is a distinguishing characteristic of human communication.
You could assume that each individual's unique electro/chemical reaction was a valid reality for
that particular brain and not bother trying to mess with it.

Somewhat unrelated but possibly relevant for epistemology gambit:

The mind (cerebral cortex) is binary in it's functioning. It reacts basically positively or
negatively. You like or dislike, you approve or disapprove, you accept or reject. It is a two-force functioning environment. It is quite likely the nature of the phenomenon of the universe operates on more than two forces. To be very simplistic about it let's say three forces: positive, negative and neutral. If the mind is a two-force operating system, it is third force blind. Could this be a cause for, shall we say, some confusion in dealing with the world? From the minds point of view you could say you have what you like; dislike and the irrelevant or what is the truth, what is false and what does not make any difference. At least you could make a case that what your mind disregards as irrelevant or of no importance is actually of great importance because it is the interaction of the three forces that provide a more accurate explanation of the causation of unfolding events.

I could even suggest that a person who was interested in maximizing investment returns might spend more time paying attention to factors he considers irrelevant because it is at least as likely that change will come from this area as from a change in the factors currently concluded to be positive or negative.

Now if you have words reacting differently in unique brains that are, at a minimum, third force blind, you
could have a reasonable explanation for the human condition.

I would suggest hovever, that the reason that man has evolved in this manner is that it has had some very positive evolutionary advantages for humans. The functioning of the cerebral cortex is a nice problem-solving device for helping us figure out that it is better to climb a tall tree fast, than to try and out run a hungry lion. In addition it causes humans to think that they are separate from the environment so that instead of laying in the grass in the sun after eating and sex, they will think it is a better idea to mow the grass than lay in it.

While the cerebral cortex is a reasonable but limited problem solver, the main problem as I see it that it runs all the time. If the brain does not have a current problem to solve it will think of other problems to rehash or fantasize about new ones? Given the nature of the mind, I have decided paying attention to it's automatic runnings is a fool's errand. Best just to lie in the sun after food and sex and pay absolutely no attention to epistemology, what that is.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement