UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75530  
Subject: A Picky Plea from Pixy Date: 8/4/1998 11:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, all.

I've noticed of late an increasing number of responses to previous posts that simply make a one or two line comment in response to the original query-- whatever that original query might have been.

There's no paraphrasing of or quotes from the original message to indicate what the question was. This board receives quite a few posts on a daily basis, and it's tough for readers to keep up with them all. It's even tougher when they don't know what was in the previous post that gave rise to the response.

So pretty please, folks, have a heart and act on this picky plea from Pixy.

When responding to a prior post, please quote the part you're addressing so the rest of us know what the Sam Hill you're talking about!!!!!!

Thank you very much. I'll now fade away into the night.

Regards.....Pixy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rjm1cc One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4926 of 75530
Subject: Re: A Picky Plea from Pixy Date: 8/8/1998 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I understand your point but that is why you read the board in a thread.

However I sometimes switch to the unthread version so I don't reread the posts I read.

I would like to see just the new posts when I log on. Skip the repeats at the beginning of each post. The board could carryforward the original post so it will be easy to find and reread before going to the replys.

If it is important to carry forward the original post why not do it automaticaly. Let the reply go before the repeat. That way you do not have to hunt for the answer and do have the original post for reference.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4929 of 75530
Subject: Re: A Picky Plea from Pixy Date: 8/8/1998 9:14 PM
If it is important to carry forward the original post why not do it automaticaly. Let the reply go before the repeat. That way you do not have to hunt for the answer and do have the original post for reference.

In a word, the reason not to mirror the original is "newbies". There will always be a lot of newbies, and they will use whatever the default is. A default that mirrored the entire original in the reply would result in very lengthy messages containing a lot of text I've already read. Even if TMF can afford the server space, I'd be out of here because of the slow dialup connection to my ISP.

Yes, I generally read the boards in post order rather than thread order. My solution to replies that don't quote what they're replying to is to ignore 'em. I gather that's not an option for Pixy.

Patzer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement