UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wcaseym Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 90338  
Subject: A plan for "long war" and ... Date: 2/14/2006 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
... conflict with China: a 20-year scenario of fatalism! Read all about it here => http://www.defenselink.mil/qdr/report/Report20060203.pdf

C.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: nospam4me Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38026 of 90338
Subject: Re: A plan for "long war" and ... Date: 2/14/2006 8:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hope it's a good plan. My 'puter went Ding and didn't download the 113-pager. Of course, we can't win the war, regardless how nice the 20-year plan might be. The military problem: China has got MAD aimed at us and our Pacific Rim allies, and we have MAD aimed at them. Were the war not to go nuclear, our superior force quality would be hard pressed to deal with the quantity of conventional force China can bring to bear in the Far East (no, we don't have to worry too much about The Horde sweeping into California). What we DO have to worry about is China's ability to destroy our currency and China's ability to buy what it cannot invade. That's what we get for allowing the colossal twin deficits (trade and budget) to grow forever. China can do serious damage to the US by refusing to buy any more of our Treasuries. China can do even more damage by dumping its Treasuries on the open market. The resulting world depression or similar economic mess might wreck China, too. Thus, we may have economic MAD as well as nuclear MAD.

Should be a fun couple of decades, with Peak Oil occurring somewhere within the first one.

cassandra

Digging that bunker as i type

/**/

Author: wcaseym Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38035 of 90338
Subject: Re: A plan for "long war" and ... Date: 2/14/2006 8:37 PM
Hope it's a good plan. <...> Of course, we can't win the war, regardless how nice the 20-year plan might be.

Only history will tell for sure!

Anyway, ... here is germane harangue:

Why China scares the US
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2006/02/11/2003292563

By reading this piece, ... I can't banish this one thought out my head:

What would happen if American companies simply decided to move their HQ's, say, to Beijing and Hong Kong, ... for example?

C.

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38036 of 90338
Subject: Re: A plan for "long war" and ... Date: 2/14/2006 8:44 PM
>>China can do even more damage by dumping its Treasuries on the open market. <<

That's what the "starve the beast" crowd wants, because it will give them an excuse to cut off Social Security and Medicare.

Steve

Author: nospam4me Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38055 of 90338
Subject: Re: A plan for "long war" and ... Date: 2/15/2006 6:30 AM
That's what the "starve the beast" crowd wants ...

The "Starve the Beast" crowd are gonna get a surprise when their ports go down in flames with the economy.

cassandra

/**/

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement