Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey, I found a post on the RE Home Page that addresses the topic of maxing out tax deferred acounts vs. taxable accounts. What do you guys think about this ?

This post is by workwayless:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21438606

I returned to work after retiring and my current savings strategy are totally different than during my pre-FIRE accumulation days.

In the past, I tried to accumulate as much tax deferred savings as possible—especially the kind that reduced my taxable income. Therefore I maxed out my 401k contributions and the bulk of the rest of my savings were taxable funds. I didn't put much money into traditional or Roth IRAs.

There have been tax changes since I last worked and next year I'd be able to take advantage of a “catch-up” clause to make higher 401k contributions than ever before.

However given my current situation, I don't think that maxing out my 401k is still a good idea. The whole purpose of the taxed deferral component of defined contribution programs was that most people would enjoy lower tax rates during retirement than in their working years. After reading experts like Scott Burns, I now question whether or not that will still be true.

So here's my current strategy:

I will only contribute enough to my 401k to take full advantage of my employer's match and to reduce my taxable income to so that it's under the maximum for Roth IRA eligibility.

The rest of my money will go into purchasing real estate, Roth IRA contributions and conversions, and of course taxable savings. I don't know what the percentages will be because it depends on how quickly I purchase the new real estate.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement