Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A quick and, hopefully easy, question. Probably the most difficult part is for me to word it so it is easily understood.

If I were to have $100K of long term cap gains in a typical year and decided to do some part time work would the wages from this work be taxed starting at 28% (married filing jointly) or would they push up the starting tax rate on the capital gains? In other words, when you stack up the total, do you start with income or with cap gains? Now that I have that straight, were do I stack (add in) dividends and interest?

Thank you for your time and consideration. Regards, pmcw
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.