Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445759  
Subject: a reassuring tweet from Zach Braff Date: 10/7/2012 5:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
.. don't worry ..

http://i.imgur.com/V4871.jpg

nl
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410522 of 445759
Subject: Re: a reassuring tweet from Zach Braff Date: 10/7/2012 8:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Is Braff's number anywhere close to right? 5000 gods are being worshipped as we speak?

Well, it turns out that the website adherents.com claims to have 4300 distinct current religions or "faith groups" listed in its database. Many of these are wildly polytheistic, but if we allow an average of only, say, five gods per religion, then we get an estimate of 21,500 gods that are being worshipped today, somewhere in the world.

Statistics: www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html#NotIncluded

I have no idea whether adherents.com has an accurate count, but if it is anywhere in the right ballpark then there are a lot of gods out there. But as Braff says, we need not worry. Only ours is the "right" one. Long live the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

(Pastafarians are not listed in adherents.com, so their count must be off by at least one. They should beware the revenge of the noodly appendage.)

Loren

Author: kenora Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410529 of 445759
Subject: Re: a reassuring tweet from Zach Braff Date: 10/8/2012 9:00 AM
Recommendations: 1
Only my god is real and the rest of you are blasphemers who will burn in hell. My god told me that, so it must be true.
BTW - my god is a loving god who loves me and will toss the rest of you into the burning hell...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement