UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 785  
Subject: Re: Wondering Date: 7/15/2004 9:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
a revocable trust sounds interesting. what all is involved in creating such a thing?

It's not that complicated, but you need an estate planning attorney to get it all set up. In our case, we have a revocable living trust that we keep everything in. In a simple sense, it means that we each own half of our assets, and when one of us dies, that half goes into the trust thereby preserving the lifetime exemption which I think is around a million dollars right now. Then, when the 2nd spouse dies, their half of the assets go into the trust using their lifetime exemption before estate taxes kicks in. By doing it this way, either spouse actually gets to have the benefit of all the assets, but they also each get to use their lifetime exemption to reduce taxes. This doesn't matter between spouses since a spouse can inherit any amount without having to pay estate taxes, but it makes a big difference to the kids.

The other thing that really drove us to the trust is that a trust is private and no one gets to know the terms. This is unlike probate which is public and would allow anybody to contest it. I'm sure that a trust could be challenged, but it is not easy and probably not likely to be successful. In our case, we fully expect DH's sister, the ambulance-chasing attorney, to contest our wills to get custody of our children and access to their money, which will be a large pile when we both die. The trust eliminates that as a risk.

I know I've probably butchered the explanation, and someone who is more knowledgable can probably do a better job, but this is the general gist.

But it needs to be part of the entire estate plan, so you need to find an estate planning attorney if it's time for you do such things. If you were in MA, I could recommend someone that we have been using for about 10 years now. In that time, we set up the trust, and we just did our first amendment. My expectation is that we will probably change the trust one more time before we do an irrevocable trust, but that won't happen til we are advanced in age. At this point, there are too many things that could change so we are not yet ready to do the irrevocable trust yet.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Happily Ever After -- Financially Speaking
Eight Foolish tips for couples investing.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement