UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1977475  
Subject: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 105
There are two famous tea parties that I can think of.

The first, of course, was in Boston Harbor, where a group of revolutionaries dumped someone else's property into the Boston Harbor to protest the tax on it, the rationale for the protest being "Taxation Without Representation." (Well, actually there's a lot more to it than that, but that's become the popular meme.) Economic terrorism and property destruction at its best! I'm hoping today's protestors aren't calling on that historical precedent, but I could be wrong.

The other famous tea party, and one more closely attuned to today's events is the Mad Hatter's tea party from "Alice in Wonderland." You know the one, where the Mad Hatter (sponsor of the tea party) talks in nonsensical poetry and unanswerable riddles, changes positions at his whim, and fulminates against the Queen or any other imagined slights without bothering to give solutions, evidence, or anything else. He's great at slogans, however.

Perhaps the most appropriate part of the story involves the Mad Hatter asking the riddle: "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" After much discussion, it turns out he doesn't have an answer to his own question. I can't think of a better metaphor for the Right Wing inspired and Fox News promoted astroturf campaign we are seeing played out among the babbling goobers who have only complaint, historical revision, and memory lapse when it comes to the politics of the past eight years.

Love those signs, though.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376413 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 11:45 AM
Recommendations: 0
and memory lapse when it comes to the politics of the past eight years.

Actually not just the last eight years, but they've forgotten the last twenty five years. When they are reprised of the facts they hold their hands over their ears and go "Na Na Na, I can't hear you."
Ronnie the Raygun told them such a nice story that they just can't make themselves come to believe it was hogwash.

Author: OneWhoWaits Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376414 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 11:48 AM
All signs point to this Tea Party being of the "Mad Hatter" variety. The question being; what kind of drugs have they ingested, and how long will they last?

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376419 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 11:59 AM
The first, of course, was in Boston Harbor, where a group of revolutionaries dumped someone else's property into the Boston Harbor to protest the tax on it, the rationale for the protest being "Taxation Without Representation." (Well, actually there's a lot more to it than that, but that's become the popular meme.) Economic terrorism and property destruction at its best! I'm hoping today's protestors aren't calling on that historical precedent, but I could be wrong.

I wonder where the teabaggers are targeting their angst for the second act, "John Malcom Revisited".

I don't think these people are going to be satisfied with a stupid little one-day protest after seeing those crowds at the McCain / Palin rallies.

MV

Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376421 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 12:00 PM
Recommendations: 3
Sheesh guys, get a room if you're going to have a love fest like this.

Author: Thetis Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376476 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 1:17 PM
Recommendations: 23
I was invited to the local teabag event yesterday. The woman told me she was a Republican but was fed up with everyone. I'm also fed up but declined.

As a Libertarian, I've stood out in the rain (it always seems to rain here on Tax Day, as it is today) at the main post office on April 15 for most of the past 30 years, most of the time with the usual 6 or 8 other people.

I think it is interesting that now HussainObama (secret muslim) is president, the goobers are up in arms. Where were all these teabaggers when Bush and the neocons were busy destroying the economy and looting the treasury for their buddies?

I'm sympathetic to the "mad as hell and won't take it anymore" feeling, which I share to a degree. But I don't believe these guys are coming from a good place. It would be wrong however to merely laugh. They laughed at the Nazis too.

Regards. Thetis.

Author: MrCynic Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376529 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 2:07 PM
Recommendations: 4
Right Wing inspired and Fox News promoted astroturf campaign

There you go with that lie. What a bunch of liars the left wingers are. There's not a scintilla of evidence that the tea party protests are being organized by Fox or any other corporation. Show us the evidence otherwise or shut up.

Lies about astroturfing, lies about radicalism, attempts to ignore then belittle the protests, attempts to misrepresent and smear the participants. This movement apparently has left wingers frightened out of their minds. It reminds me of their hysteria over Palin.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376579 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 2:50 PM
This movement apparently has left wingers frightened out of their minds.

More like "rolling on the floor, laughing our a$$es off."

As for the proof- how bout this?

Two hours after Rick Santelli gave his rant in February on CNBC about "tea parties", slick wingnut websites went active with this Tea Party thing.... and the sites were paid for in advance by Dick Armhey's Freedom Works, which is funded by the usual SwiftBoat Suspects.

Fox didn't organize this, and nobody is claiming that.

But they are the offical recorder and propagandist for the event, with FOX's own Glen Beck hosting a 500 dollar a plate fundraiser for it. Go ahead.. turn on FOX RIGHT NOW. I'm at work, so I can't.

But if the current programing on FOX is NOT about the Tea Party sham, send me your address and I will send you ten bucks.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376583 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 2:55 PM
Two hours after Rick Santelli gave his rant in February on CNBC about "tea parties", slick wingnut websites went active with this Tea Party thing.... and the sites were paid for in advance by Dick Armhey's Freedom Works, which is funded by the usual SwiftBoat Suspects.

And what about slick George Soros?

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376591 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 3:10 PM
And what about slick George Soros?

Although George Soros is obviously behind anything that goes wrong in the entire universe, I doubt seriously that he had anything to do with this "Tea Party" thing.

Bill Z

Author: ghdude Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376594 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 3:15 PM
Although George Soros is obviously behind anything that goes wrong in the entire universe, I doubt seriously that he had anything to do with this "Tea Party" thing.

Maybe he's setting up some sort of giant strawman. File it under counterrevolutionary agitprop.

Derek

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376597 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 3:20 PM

Bill Z

It is obvious that you see nothing wrong with his bought and paid for agitators, that's what is obvious.

And as long as you see things that way, your mortal enemies, "the demented slobbering right" is going to hit back.

I take it you subscribe to turn the other cheek, unless it's your cheek.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376598 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 3:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
It is obvious that you see nothing wrong with his bought and paid for agitators, that's what is obvious.

And as long as you see things that way, your mortal enemies, "the demented slobbering right" is going to hit back.

link any post of mine in which I have called folks "the demented slobbering right" (or anything similar)

I take it you subscribe to turn the other cheek, unless it's your cheek.

You would be engaged in a bit of fantasy if you believed that.

Author: Windchasers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376641 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 4:41 PM
Where were all these teabaggers when Bush and the neocons were busy destroying the economy and looting the treasury for their buddies?

We were busy changing our party affiliation away from "Republican".. seems we left a lot of loonies behind, though.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376665 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 5:41 PM
Maybe he's setting up some sort of giant strawman. File it under counterrevolutionary agitprop.

Actually, he's planning a Strawberries and Cream Day, for sometime in June, when hoards of people dining on strawberries and cream (and not attending Wimbledon) will enter yacht clubs, marinas, private golf clubs, and other bastions of the Republican rich to welcome them back to the land of the tax-payer.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376667 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 5:43 PM
Recommendations: 4
There's not a scintilla of evidence that the tea party protests are being organized by Fox or any other corporation. Show us the evidence otherwise or shut up.

OK.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#30217505

You must sit through a 30 second ad to get to the video, but I'm sure you'll put up with that minor inconvenience, since the proof you requested sits in the batters-up box right on the other side of it.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376683 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 6:34 PM
link any post of mine in which I have called folks "the demented slobbering right" (or anything similar)

I didn't say you said it, I said you saw nothing wrong with those who do, who are bought and paid for by not only Soros, but other billionaires.

It seems to me.

And you have expressed anyone that points that out to you as paranoid.

They aren't paranoid, they are fighting back, without blowing up buildings.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376687 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 6:47 PM
SW wrote:

I didn't say you said it, I said you saw nothing wrong with those who do, who are bought and paid for by not only Soros, but other billionaires.

Yet my response was generated by:

First, I have no mortal enemies.

Second, suggesting that I seen them as mortal enemies and "the demented slobbering right" suggests that if I didn't say it, I certainly felt that way.

As far as Soros goes, his old bones have been dragged out and rattled so many times, that if he truly paid out the sort of cash that folks think he has, he has none left for himself.

Has he injected himself into American politics? Yes. Is he the puppetmaster of the Democratic party? No.

Bill Z

Author: ghdude Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376690 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 7:03 PM
First, I have no mortal enemies.

Except for the Uzbeks of course. They think their potassium is the best... but it is NOT!

Derek

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376692 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/15/2009 7:15 PM

Except for the Uzbeks of course. They think their potassium is the best... but it is NOT!

Derek

Those goat eating, dirty, lying Uzbeks!

The Costa Ricans have the best potassium.. bananas.

Bill Z

Author: slowwhizz Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376844 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/16/2009 12:43 AM
Yea, well this babbling goober thinks your post with all 88 recs is a load of crap. Smooth, smug and snot and crap nevertheless.

Author: 55Kevy Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376872 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/16/2009 5:19 AM
"babbling goobers" - what condenscending snark.

Kevy

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1376887 of 1977475
Subject: Re: A short note about tea parties Date: 4/16/2009 7:54 AM
Yea, well this babbling goober thinks your post with all 88 recs is a load of crap. Smooth, smug and snot and crap nevertheless.

Thank you.

I am in awe of your command of the language, and compliment you on your skills of debate and argumentation. I have rarely seen reason and logic employed quite so well.

By a self-professed "babbling goober", I mean.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement