Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know this is probably a silly and simple question, but consider me a dummy when it comes to tax. My question is how do I figure out how to not have the IRS take so much of my paycheck during the year (so that they can have their interest-free loan until next April 15)? I know that in the tax-bracket I'm in (low), with my itemized deductions, and with the new child tax credit, I'll be receiving $ from the IRS come tax time. Obviously, however, I'd like to be receiving that money currently. Do I just change my withholdings number? Is there a worksheet that would help me estimate how much I should cease to withhold?

Sorry so naive, but any help would be appreciated!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.