No. of Recommendations: 1
Sounds interesting. Has anyone here had a magic mushroom experience--that you want to talk about? I bet Art would enjoy magic mushrooms.

Users who had a "mystical experience" while taking the drug showed increases in a personality trait dubbed "openness", one of the five major traits used in psychology to describe human personality. Openness is associated with imagination, artistic appreciation, feelings, abstract ideas and general broad-mindedness. None of the other four traits – extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness and conscientiousness – was altered.

Under controlled scientific conditions, researchers gave 51 adults either psilocybin or a placebo in up to five eight-hour sessions. They were told to lie on a sofa with their eyes covered and listen to music while focusing on an "inner experience".

More at: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/single-magic-mushr...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I ate mushrooms a few times many, many moons ago. It was like a shorter, much less intense version of acid--about six to seven hours of being wired, a few tracers and visual distortions, and a whole lot of laughing. Of course, knowing what you're eating makes it pretty disgusting, but if you can get past the 10 seconds of your life to endure that, it was a pretty fun ride.

When you're 20.
When men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is movin' low

Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead

I only tried it once back when I was a wayward youth. We were driving across of bridge. The stoplights were eyes, the area between the guard rails was the mouth, and the road was the tongue. I was freaking out because I thought we were driving into a monster's mouth to be eaten.

Whenever I think of magic 'shrooms, I think of the above song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0
Ok, I'll confess. When I was in college many decades ago, I took a tab of psilocybin while on a trip to another college campus with some friends. It was the single worst expeience of my life. I used a lot of pot back then, and that was really nice, but the psilocybin was a real bummer. The halucinations were intense for about 10 to 12 hours. Then I was very stoned for another 24 hours (but that actually was nice). I can still recall today being on the floor and seeing the legs of tables grow into legs of table monsters. Other things would glow and grow into what appeared to be living things that would move all around. I didn't know what was real versus what was not. I took a shower, and it was like standing under a flood of sparklers. It was something else. I never took any halucinagentic substance again. I guess this might explain why I come to TMF now, where all the furniture monsters hang out.
"I never took any halucinagentic substance again. I guess this might explain why I come to TMF now, where all the furniture monsters hang out." - ResNullius

I smoked a little pot a few times in college, like 4 or 5 times, and I never did any other illegal drugs. All I remember about smoking marijuana was that it made me feel like everything was right with the world.

I've never done mushrooms, just read about them.

Art
I must be missing some neuro-receptor. I was never curious enough to try ANY drugs. I always wondered what the point was. Pain medication dulls the pain but really doesn't do anything else. The day I had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted, came home, my mom made me take a pain pill before the local wore off, an hour later I was at the gym working out. Alcohol, no fuzzy warm feeling, no relaxation, if I have too much I feel dizzy but don't get all happy nor angry.

JLC
I must be missing some neuro-receptor. I was never curious enough to try ANY drugs. I always wondered what the point was. Pain medication dulls the pain but really doesn't do anything else. The day I had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted, came home, my mom made me take a pain pill before the local wore off, an hour later I was at the gym working out. Alcohol, no fuzzy warm feeling, no relaxation, if I have too much I feel dizzy but don't get all happy nor angry.

I was never one to go for the numb, I had some friends who loved downers, never really understood the thrill, tried them, but eehhh.

Now Acid or Cocaine? very different. Both make you feel sharper, one leaves you looking at things in a very different way, the other hits the intensity switch; used to love going bike riding or playing basketball on coke -- no wasn't any better but you just had a feeling you were.

Any introspection pretty much leaves you after a while knowing they are essentially a waste of time with a longer recovery than they are possible worth, but they do give a different perspective and sometimes that is refreshing.

A whole lot of the recreational drugs have no commonality with pain killers.
Now Acid or Cocaine? very different. Both make you feel sharper, one leaves you looking at things in a very different way,

Tried coke once through my nose. The only thing I felt was like I had a big hole in my face.
No. of Recommendations: 4
"Under controlled scientific conditions, researchers gave 51 adults either psilocybin or a placebo in up to five eight-hour sessions. They were told to lie on a sofa with their eyes covered and listen to music while focusing on an "inner experience"."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I have aged, I have come to the conclusion that nothing can
beat a nice nap.

Howie52
When I was a Freshman in college, a guy in the room next to mine use to take LSD several times a week. We called him Tripper for obvious reasons. He was ROTC at the time, but by the following year he was in such a drugged haze that he dropped out of school and got drafted to Vietnam. Tripper use to get 3 or 4 drugs together, smash them up, then fill up capsules with the brew. He was something. I never heard from him after he got drafted. I can't imagine him being given a weapon and set loose on the general population of any country.
I never heard from him after he got drafted. I can't imagine him being given a weapon and set loose on the general population of any country.

There's a wall in Washington that can probably tell you his fate.
I never heard from him after he got drafted. I can't imagine him being given a weapon and set loose on the general population of any country.

I was thinking that he just became Secretary of State.

mcb

I was thinking that he just became Secretary of State.I

Say what you like about the man, but I always liked his theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-a8kLtJSJ4

---------------------

I always liked this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-4lX0QyZc

arrete

---------------------

I always liked this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-4lX0QyZc

Well yeah, but I can't see Theresa hooking up with David Lee Roth. Although, after seeing Kerry try to pull off that absurd wind surfing ensemble, I guess he might be dressing like him at home.
No. of Recommendations: 12
I never had the opportunity to try mushroom although I had read about them way back when. If it had been available through druggie friends/acquaintances back then I would have tried it.

My drug use was pretty small in comparison. Smoked pot for the first time at my high school graduation. We were drinking too so other than the fact I was smoking an illegal substance, I really didn't notice anything. I got drunk as a skunk on pop wine.

With friends I made on the CB radio(they couldn't see I was obese, so they got to know "me" and it was easier for me to communicate with them), I met a few and went to parties where smoking dope and drinking were the unifying factors. I started buying pot in bulk to save money and to sell to these same acquaintances. I worked but nights and weekends, I was drinking and smoking dope. My motto was more is better which is the same with eating food. Volume was the goal. I smoked hash, was injected with crank twice at two different parties...kinda of speedy feeling but with pot and alcohol use, its effect was minimal.

Since I had had my deviated septum fixed, I completely crossed off cocaine, not that I knew anyone who sold it, but I read in a drug book about people using it compulsively and burning holes in their nose cartiledge so I knew that would happen to me if I did it so x marks that spot. :)

There was a spell where my "friends" liked to use valium in quantity so I did it too. We would of course, use pot and alcohol too and it was pretty ridiculous when I thought about it, sitting around like old folks in a nursing home, not conversing, just zonked out. Nuts but for a lonely girl who had no real friends and didn't know how to make or be a friend, this was it for me. Very sad.

I did like the whole rebel thing.....it was all illegal and risky and chit like that. I shake my head at that but it was part of my life and learning.

The pot dealer I used got busted by the state police and I didn't trust that guy, so I buried what pot I had left in the back yard during the winter...thinking at the time they couldn't somehow see the holes I dug. ROFL The guy got jail time and around this same time or maybe earlier. I had lost a lot of wgt and started running and developed other interests like ham radio...amateur radio which at the time required that you learn Morse code and basic theory. I took classes and practiced and traveled to North Carolina one weekend to get my Novice license. Anyway, I couldn't stay stoned to do all that.

One weekend, I was putting together a transceiver I bought at Radio Shack. It takes concentration to solder all those doohickey's and I was expecting a pot delivery at the same time. These friends kept calling me on the phone bugging the chit out of me to see when I got the dope. I remember thinking that these people were such losers with no lives and I really saw my life clearly at the time...that using drugs was a waste of time, money and brain cells. Smoking pot also burned the heck out of lungs too and I really paid the price running the next day. Ack!

After the guy got busted, I stopped dealing and if I bought it was just for myself.

I last remember smoking dope in my bedroom when my daddy was dying of brain cancer, but it comes back to me now that I did smoke after he died and it made me extremely paranoid and I heard things.....something must have been in it or I was at the end stage of pot addiction. I dunno...it didn't take a whole joint to make my eyes red and my off feeling. Strange.

Then in 1986, I started going to Adult Children of Alcoholics/Al Anon meetings and started learning about myself, my upbringing and emotions for the first time. I used all those substance to cope with feelings and I started with using food as a kid. That will always be my drug of choice.

Okay I'm done, time to finish breakfast and COFFEE!
No. of Recommendations: 2
Steve Jobs said that if Bill Gates had taken some LSD he would have made better software.
Advertisement