Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/19/2012 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I finished the second of two cross stitch pieces I was doing for my sister-in-law. They won't be framed in time for her birthday, but I will have them in time for Christmas. I took them to a shop here in the Denver area that specializes in needlework supplies and framing needlework projects.

I was ready to start my next project (a gift for my mother-in-law) and had to place an order online for supplies. I ended up ordering four more patterns! I did download an app for my iPhone for keeping track of your floss, and was pleased to see I had only duplicated two colors (black and white) in my order.

Last night I sorted through my supplies and I found a half complete project I know I'm never going to finish (no longer like the design, very dated) and tossed it and a pile of mangled patterns that I know I won't do a second time. I think I have a couple patterns and kits that I may donate to Good Will and see if someone else wants to do them, they just aren't my style anymore. I think once I discovered the variety of stuff available online and the smaller publishers, I've become disenchanted with the big publishers like Dimensions where a lot of stuff is geared towards the beginner. Bless the internet for making it easier to find other designers and learn more technique.

I do have some completed projects that I never framed. I don't know what to do with those. I know my husband would be against tossing something I made, but some of them were early pieces before I really got my technique down, and one was a very advanced piece that I tackled too early, so while other people might not notice problems with it, I'm hyper critical of the final look. Why spend a couple hundred getting it pinned, matted, and framed if it isn't perfect? Maybe it will look better to me after I iron it.

Lara Amber
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7274 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/19/2012 10:28 AM
You may already know these patterns, but I've always liked Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum's work.

http://www.tiag.com/

Nancy

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7275 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/19/2012 11:21 AM
Thanks. I wen to that link and then got all distracted by the link at the bottom to the handmade stands. I admit I've never used a stand, I've always stitched with a hoop. I wonder if I would like a scroll bar setup or if I wouldn't find it tight enough.

Lara Amber

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7276 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/19/2012 11:53 AM
I don't know. I've always used one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Q-Snap-SF17-Lap-Frame-17x17/dp/B000YQM...

I haven't done any cross-stitching for a while. I was distracted by knitting. But I still should go back and finish that last piece, which is this one:

http://www.tiag.com/designs/LL-31.html

Nancy

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7277 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/19/2012 12:02 PM
I've seen some people say they swear by q-snap. Does it keep the fabric evenly taut? What kind of fabric were you using? Do you have it in a stand or do you hold it?

Lara Amber

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7278 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/19/2012 12:23 PM
I seem to have mostly used Aida, although I think there was also a linen piece. I loved the snap frame. It held the material taut and was much easier to use than the regular hoop, because you don't have to hold all the material taut at the same time. You snap one side in, then another and another, each time holding just one side of the material. And you can have the degree of tautness you want. If you think you're stretching the material you can adjust it a bit.

It's also easy to take apart when you want to. I held mine in my lap.

Nancy

Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7279 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/20/2012 8:54 AM
I have several completed pieces in a large under-the-bed plastic tub where they can lie flat until I can figure out what to with them (some have been put away for 15+ years, but I don't want to throw them out). I don't like to put my needlework under glass, I frame some pieces with batting underneath to give a slight pillow effect.

As for stands, I have been looking at them for years. I stitch in-hand, but sometimes my pieces are rather dirty by the time I finish and I have been looking at stands to solve that. I would just leave the needlework in the stand and not have to continually fold and unfold and put away in a bag and less handling by hands that aren't always as clean as I think they are!

Barbara

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7280 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/29/2012 9:10 AM
I have such a hard time getting rid of stuff I bought long ago that I no longer like. Or half finished projects.

It's something I'm really working on, because I don't want to wind up being a hoarder like my mom was at the end.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7281 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/29/2012 11:44 AM
Come over to Cross Stitch Forum. They have a whole section devoted to trading and giving away stuff. I just got rid of several patterns/kits by posting them online. You might have an easier time letting go if you know they are going to someone who wants it.

Lara Amber

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7282 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/30/2012 11:58 AM
Mine is all knitting and sewing.

Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7283 of 7313
Subject: Re: A smidge of organizing. Date: 10/31/2012 2:39 PM
Nancy,

I did that cross stitch pattern! I used to complete large scale projects, approximatly 1/year. I always used the blue hoops. Also I solved the dirty hands issue (or to my satisfaction anyway) but rolling the fabric with the back side up when I was working. Then if I hadn't washed my hands enough it didn't mar the front of the work.

I now sew and crochet... Yarn and Fabric. My floss and CS patterns took up much less room!!!

n

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement