Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: avjo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5085  
Subject: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 5/17/2006 6:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Health care seems to be one of the big hurdles when you FIRE due to it usually being a young age with many years before medicare kicks in.

So, thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to names of places that will provide employee healthcare for part time employees. Hopefully, this might make FIRE more a possability to someone out there.

I'll post more as I find them :)

So, I'll start with who the places I know:

Citgo/FoodBag (gas station)
Friendlies (resturant)
Starbucks (quick serve)
Petco (pet store)
REI (retail sports store)**note regardless of # hrs!

**Dollar General has some interesting benefits for part time**

**Also, colleges offer limited health care benefits that (might) be cheaper then buying it privately - think community college for a course might be fun :)

***I did look up crate and barrel - only get health if full time, but does have 401k for part time

***Winn Dixie (south) and Shaws (new england) -(both grocery) does say it offers it but doesnt specfically say to part time employees

P.S. My basic point is most people live close to one of these stores, and part time could only be a day or two a week of your time, and in theory a very low stress job to pass the time
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3823 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 5/17/2006 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My basic point is most people live close to one of these stores, and part time could only be a day or two a week of your time, and in theory a very low stress job to pass the time

That is a recommendation that I made to my dad, as he has commented that he would like to retire and move out to their lake house on a FT basis. He said the one concern about retiring was the healthcare. I told him that some companies offer benefits to PT employees and mentioned Starbucks. Since he loves coffee and socializing, I am sure that wouldn't feel like a job to him.

Another company that I am pretty sure offers benefits to PT employees is UPS. However, the available jobs may be on the loading/unloading (warehouse) side of the business. I haven't really investigated it.

This is a nice list to start.

dt

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3824 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 5/17/2006 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 1
<<Citgo/FoodBag (gas station)
Friendlies (resturant)
Starbucks (quick serve)
Petco (pet store)

>>

Paying $600/month for my individual health insurance suddely starts looking like a DEAL!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3826 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 5/23/2006 5:29 PM

We have an REI here in Madison and I've considered the idea of taking on a part time job to get more people interaction and income after FIRE. This would be a great group of employees to join for the active lifestyle they are likely to have. An added benefit would be an employee discount at a store that we like to spend lots of money already :)

This reminds me to check my wife's employer retirement benefits. She works for a health care provider so there may be continuing coverage after retirement.

-murray

Author: MoneyPenny06 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3830 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/18/2006 6:33 PM
Recommendations: 3

There's always the ever popular driving a school bus option.

My stepfather is retired and while he's eligible to purchase healthcare through his previous employer - he gets a better deal by driving a school bus.

He doesn't have one of those twice-a-day gigs.

He's on call to pick up special needs kids and bring them to school.

He works maybe 10 hrs/week and gets time off whenever he needs it and all summer too, of course.

Remember that these jobs go begging in many locales because the type of person who is willing to take this job is usually someone already....retired.

MP

Author: Rhodnius Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3836 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/21/2006 2:41 PM
> There's always the ever popular driving a school bus option.

I'll second that. My uncle, 62, retired from professional work due to stress-related and other health problems a few years ago. He's quite content with his new job as a school bus driver, and the union makes sure that good benefits are available including health care. I think he's got a regular twice-a-day gig for the driving.

- Erik

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3837 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/22/2006 1:20 AM
I worked for shaws part time for a while, they do offer it to part timers, you need to work a certain number of hours. I don't know how many or the costs, as i was still on my dad's plan at the time and was just working for spending money.

Author: avjo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3839 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/23/2006 3:18 PM
Another trend I've noticed in New England at least, is larger temp agencies offering a health benefit plan. While I am pretty sure it is not a great plan, it is something. You do have to work a certain number of hours over a given time frame.

Also, all of the colleges I have seen here offer health insurance to their students. This includes community colleges and ones that offer distant learning - so another reasonable option and could provide coverage for all of the family.

P.S. on a slightly different note, at least Connecicut health care for children under 18 is available for free through the HUSKY plan

and

Both my parents had cataract surgery and that was covered undre their aarp health program - which is relatively inexpensive.

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3840 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/23/2006 7:15 PM
I worked for Kelley Services for a while, and they did offer health insurance. Again, i don't know what the requirements are hourwise.

What if a retiree goes back to college? Would he be able to get the health insurance offered through them, or is it limited by age.

Author: avjo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3841 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/26/2006 2:04 PM
For the plans I have seen offered by universities and community colleges in Connecticut it is not limited by age, just that you are at least a half time student. So 6 credits and your are allowed no matter what your age etc. Also, they do offer a full 12 month year (not just the in school time) for a cheap price. However, the cheap price also means the coverage isn't that great. It is something though.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3842 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/27/2006 7:32 PM
Recommendations: 5
Health care seems to be one of the big hurdles when you FIRE due to it usually being a young age with many years before medicare kicks in.

So, thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to names of places that will provide employee healthcare for part time employees. Hopefully, this might make FIRE more a possability to someone out there.

May I play the devil's advocate for a minute? The only trouble with this approach is that health insurance might become your new "golden handcuff." If you want to work after FIRE that's fine. However I recommend that you don't rely on your employer for insurance. Sure working at a low stress job might be fun for while. But the day may come when you are sick of working, too young for Medicare, but old enough to accumulate enough maladies to place affordable health insurance out of reach.

Author: avjo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3843 of 5085
Subject: Re: A step closer to FIRE if health care... Date: 6/28/2006 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
I agree. I think this approach would work well for someone who either doesn't want to actually quit working just take it slower. Or someone who is very close and would just like to push it to make it possible. I think it is also a reasonable approach for those very close to medicare and wondering how to meet this need while collecting social security.

Of course best planning would be enough wealth in place to not have a need to do any of this. However, even with this wealth in place at least their are options if one would like them. Basically, it might be an eye opener for someone who doesn't realize full time work is the only option out their for workers to get health insurance. I think if someone has enough ways to think outside of the box and have options to consider if something doesn't work out in their favor they will be best off.

So, at least this could be a plan B.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement