UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58837  
Subject: A story for gardeners and fishermen Date: 5/2/2013 12:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I took my morning walk to get my metabolism going. As I walked past my neighbor's house, I noticed AGAIN all the leaves. Well, for years I have been ignoring the fact that those leaves (and pine straw) are probably from my trees. So this morning I decided to rake them up. Under the top layer of fresh leaves was dirt, sand and decomposing leaves and pine straw. Also in the mess were worms - tons of worms. I immediately thought of my Dad.

In the 1960s Art, our beekeeping brother John, our Dad and I would take our little wooden boat to Lake Lanier and fish. We would snorkel, too, and Art used to spear fish. My Dad was such a frugal person he would dig his own worms. Both my brothers are that way, too. But I'm a gardener, so I saw a lot of potential for this stuff. I had a wheel barrel full of dirt and worms, so I dumped it in some of the bare spots around my yard. I live up on a small hill so most of it was probably from my yard anyway. Maybe it will all wash down to her property again, but I certainly hope not. It was wet and heavy, so I'm hoping the grass and weeds around the spots will help hold it in place.

Also I have been putting out tomatoes and onions. I found a bag of white starter onions bulbs in Tennessee for 99 cents. That was an amazing deal. I bought a little 4-pack of Beefsteak tomatoes that had 7 tomatoes in it. Another great deal. I still have to plant more parsley and basil. I'm not doing much more than that. Oh, except that I am growing Cholula peppers from seeds I saved from last year's peppers.

I hope you are enjoying your Spring. It has been amazingly cool (60F right now at Noon) here in Georgia, perfect for gardening.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement