Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Cashemco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 166627  
Subject: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/25/2006 8:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 96
A true story written by Michael T. Powers

"A Tale of Six Boys"

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC, with the eighth grade class from Clinton, WI where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me.This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial.This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, "Where are you guys from?"

I told him that we were from Wisconsin. "Hey, I'm a cheese head, too! Come gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story."

(James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who has since passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington, D.C., but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.)

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak. (Here are his words that night.)

"My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin. My dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called "Flags of Our Fathers". It is the story of the six boys you see behind me.

"Six boys raised the flag.The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They were off to play another type of game. A game called "War." But it didn't turn out to be a game.

Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are generals who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old.

(He pointed to the statue) "You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph ... a photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for protection because he was scared. He was 18 years old. Boys won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys. Not old men.

"The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the "old man" because he was so old. He was already 24. When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

"The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona. Ira Hayes walked off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero.' He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?' So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of our classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes died dead drunk, face down at the age of 32, ten years after this picture was taken.

"The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky. A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epsom salts. Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning. The neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

"The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised. My dad lived until 1994, but he would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers, or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say, 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back.' My dad never fished or even went to Canada. Usually, he was sitting there right at the table eating his Campbell's soup. But we had to tell the press that he was out fishing. He didn't want to talk to the press.

"You see, my dad didn't see himself as a hero. Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and on a monument. My dad knew better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a caregiver. In Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died in Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed in pain.
"When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero.. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. Did NOT come back.'

"So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time."

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero. Maybe not a hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism and all the wars in between that sacrifice was made for our freedom. Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also pray for those still in murderous unrest around the world. STOP and thank God for being alive and being free at someone else's sacrifice.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: am4u Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84442 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 8:13 AM
Recommendations: 5
Hard to read a post when the tears are making it hard to see.

am4u

Author: spacetofill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84445 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 10:35 AM
Recommendations: 2
Wheres the joke?

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84446 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 11:00 AM
Recommendations: 0
"Wheres the joke?"

Isn't it obvious?

Ken

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84448 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 11:29 AM
That is the most powerful prose I've read on Motley Fool this year.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting this.

If there were an Honor Roll for Greatest Posts of all time on Motley Fool, this would make the list.

Thank you for sharing.

Author: vexas1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84461 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 1:01 PM
I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape.

Wheres the video?

Author: vexas1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84462 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 1:03 PM
Recommendations: 10
True story but last paragraph is bogus:

http://www.snopes.com/military/sixboys.asp

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84465 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 1:36 PM
Recommendations: 54
True story but last paragraph is bogus:
http://www.snopes.com/military/sixboys.asp

-----

It figures the religious right would try to conscript it, detestable lot that they are.

Author: JYRebel Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84485 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 4:58 PM
Recommendations: 67
bogus
conscript
religious right
detestable

Strong words tenworlds. I read the thread and frankly was surprised at your anger. I agree that the additional paragraph should not have been attached without disclosing it was written by a second author. This is clearly dishonest, but not worthy of your obvious anger and contempt.

So I went back and reread the offensive paragraph:

Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism and all the wars in between that sacrifice was made for our freedom. Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also pray for those still in murderous unrest around the world. STOP and thank God for being alive and being free at someone else's sacrifice.

I haven't posted much on TMF in a while because I am sick of the anger and intolerance of the loud extreme left majority here. I stick to stock and humor boards for the same reasons. Because I haven't posted in a while I should let you know where I'm coming from. I am a proud American. I believe in God. I am not a Religious Right fanatic, but in my experience the vast majority of Christians are not fanatic religious zealots. Certainly not as fanatic as our critics.

You however interrupted my enjoyment of this board so I am compelled to respond. I see nothing in this paragraph that is even slightly offensive. The writer urges thanks for the individuals that fought and died for our freedom. The author then urges prayer and thanksgiving to God. I would obviously agree with your fear and anger if the author had threatened jihad or other violence to require compliance, but instead the author simply gave an opinion.

Lighten up tenworlds, your agenda is showing.

Have you forgotten?

JYRebel

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84492 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 8:33 PM
Recommendations: 47
So you have to be on the left to be an atheist? That's what I'm getting from what you're writing. Couldn't be further from the truth.

It may be that the vast majority of those of the religious persuasion aren't zealots or fanatics, but enough are that atheists get looked at like they're second class citizens. Or, in the words of George Bush Sr, not citizens at all.

Mark, small gov't, fiscally conservative centrist and atheist.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84498 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 10:07 PM
Recommendations: 159
I am a proud American. I believe in God. I am not a Religious Right fanatic, but in my experience the vast majority of Christians are not fanatic religious zealots.
You however interrupted my enjoyment of this board so I am compelled to respond. I see nothing in this paragraph that is even slightly offensive. The writer urges thanks for the individuals that fought and died for our freedom. The author then urges prayer and thanksgiving to God. I would obviously agree with your fear and anger if the author had threatened jihad or other violence to require compliance, but instead the author simply gave an opinion.
Lighten up tenworlds, your agenda is showing.
Have you forgotten?
JYRebel

-----

Excuse me? EXCUSE ME?

Of course you see nothing offensive. You believe in God. I don't have a problem with that. The problem I have is when 'God' is added to every blasted thing that is good about America. It has nothing to do with my political leanings either. (BTW, you don't see the religious left wrapping everything in the flag and claiming 'God did it', do you?)

I felt the same way as poster 'am4u' when s/he said,
"Hard to read a post when the tears are making it hard to see."
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23886606
and it wasn't your God that brought those tears. It was "the most powerful prose" as 'freethinkerkeywe' mentioned http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23887059

Don't preach to me about agendas. No, I haven't forgotten, and don't expect to anytime soon. Especially since it is belief in God that usually gets us into these messes in the first place.

"I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. DID NOT come back."

So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps.

That is what the story is about. The unnecessary deaths of those six boys, those 7000 boys and all the rest. You'd think Ira Hayes would've attracted your God's attention for his actions and been spared the rejection of a white christian society who used him then tossed him aside because he was 'just a Pima Indian'. Crap, if this God was all his followers claim he is, World War II would never have happened.

I'm a proud American too. Hell, I even fly the stars & strips every day (I put up my own flagpole). I don't however, believe in God. Those things don't make me any more or less an American than you.
I give thanks to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice so I can live free. Our troops today have my utmost respect and support. Their skills and training will see them through to do their sworn duty.
God, Allah, Zeus, the Wizard of Oz, ... none of them will have anything to do with it.

So don't, don't dare lecture me on fear or anger, or being a proud American. My post didn't have anything to do with an agenda, or politics, or God. It has everything to do with loving my country and the secular system of government "of the people, for the people, and by the people" that made America what it is today, and an acute awareness of the religious nutjobs who've hijacked my country.

Rich

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84503 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 10:56 PM
Recommendations: 15
BTW, you don't see the religious left wrapping everything in the flag and claiming 'God did it', do you?

What makes you so sure that this bogus paragraph wasn't the religious left conscripting the essay?

My post didn't have anything to do with an agenda

Of course it did. What the hell do you think an agenda is?

Author: hyakunengeezer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84504 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/26/2006 10:56 PM
Recommendations: 59
Tell him, Rich. You are certainly not alone. I'm another atheist (a little bit Buddhist) and very much conservative Republican type. I also served my time in the Marine Corps and in Vietnam, and have been shot at more than some people have been shouted at. I have never met a hero. There is no glory. There is in fact no brotherhood. Harry Truman's proudest moment was bringing home everybody in his artillery company alive from WWI. That's my kind of guy.

My sister doesn't believe that the two little scars on my arm were from some flying metallic object while a lot of small arms fire was audible all around me. As proof, she says I have no Purple Heart. I say that the two fragments penetrated only the skin, and I scraped them out with a dirty fingernail and they healed slowly, hence the scars. We had real casualties that day, of the type that needed medevac, and I just put a field dressing on those little dings and the bleeding stopped almost immediately. I get more blood on my toilet paper than that.

Of all the crap awarded by our military, the Purple Heart was the only one I certainly didn't want. The Purple Pump would only prove that I was unlucky or wasn't paying attention. If somebody reading this would like to tell me what Vietnam was really like, I say "Don't try to tell me unless you were actually there, and not just as a REMF".

Hyakunen (who also never heard anybody praying in Vietnam, and certainly never had time for digging foxholes)

Author: OCTperry Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84510 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 2:49 AM
Recommendations: 3
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

damn. ok, then...

tenworlds is already one of your Favorite Fools

damn it!

Three cheers for tenworlds!!! woohoo!! hooray!!

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84511 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 7:03 AM
"...Hyakunen (who also never heard anybody praying in Vietnam, and certainly never had time for digging foxholes)"

---------

Does this include the times you scraped the ground with your steel pot to get down a little lower, which technically isn't a 'foxhole'..?

Author: hyakunengeezer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84513 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 7:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
Didn't do that, never saw anybody do that. I generally didn't wear a steel pot anyway. I have wanted to crawl into my steel pot sometimes,
but the Marine Corps is heavy on "fire and maneuver".
Our point man stepped on a mine one day, and the corpsman running up to help him stepped on another one just about a yard from the first one. The Captain heard the explosions and ran forward to check it out. He stepped on the third mine. Apparently they were laid at that gap in a hedge row in a cluster, very effective don't you think?
The point man's helmet bounced back near to me, so I picked it up and wore it back to the fence later. I didn't really want to take another step in that area, but they would have left without me apparently. I took that step and the next one was easier. Hyakunen (have you actually scraped the ground with a steel pot?)

Author: otter6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84515 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 8:03 AM
Recommendations: 10
Especially since it is belief in God that usually gets us into these messes in the first place.

yes, wouldn't it be nice if you were tolerant enough to "ignore" what you don't like instead of making it into an issue... just like you expect others to "accept" your views without making them into an issue...

Author: it409 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84516 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 8:15 AM
Recommendations: 4
Hyakunen (who also never heard anybody praying in Vietnam, and certainly never had time for digging foxholes)

Maybe that's because you were hearing only what you wanted to hear (most of the time you don't hear someone when they are praying). By the way if you would have heard some young men praying, would you have been against them doing so?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Whoever said money can't buy happiness,
has never sent their kids to a summer camp.

Author: otter6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84517 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 8:35 AM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/25/MNG6OHU6RR1.DTL

so much for tolerance for opposing views. Some city officials say, "not welcomed here"....

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84520 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 9:00 AM
"so much for tolerance for opposing views"

What does that mean? Seems to me you expect tolerance and freedom to propagandize whatever you're believing in at that moment, and want to keep others you disagree with from having their opportunity to speak or to counterprotest.

Ken

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84521 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 9:02 AM
I apologize for the my post #84520 in this thread. Lost track of what board I was on, as, seems to me, did the poster to whom I was responding.

Feel free to FA it if you want to remove it from this board.

Ken

Author: otter6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84524 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 9:12 AM
What does that mean? Seems to me you expect tolerance and freedom to propagandize whatever you're believing in at that moment, and want to keep others you disagree with from having their opportunity to speak or to counterprotest.

Ken

now did I tell him he can't have opposing views KEN???

there are a lot of things I may disagree with, but I dont' go around attacking those that have those views.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84527 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 10:04 AM
Recommendations: 33
vexas1 True story but last paragraph is bogus:

Totally agree. Bogus.

Try this closing paragraph:

Let us never forget that war is the worst solution to a problem that one can ever imagine. War is wasting young people whose lives have only begun and parents who will never return to their children. War is destroying the proudest achievments of humanity and holding your guts in your own hands. War is the last resort when you are backed into a corner. Let us pray that in the future the United States is the last to go to war and never the first.

Peter

Author: hyakunengeezer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84529 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 10:10 AM
Recommendations: 18
I was trying to say that I never ran across a chaplain, never went to church, never thought about religion during that 13 months, nobody around me in my little unit ever mentioned it. Come to think about it, I never knew when it was Sunday. War continues, you know.

No, I wouldn't have been against them praying. My wife is Buddhist and prays twice daily for about ten minutes. I took her and the boys to church every Sunday morning in Japan and I just found something else to do while they enjoyed themselves. I went for a walk, listened to the radio in the car, sat on the church steps in the sunshine.

I often went to temples and shrines in Japan alone, to relax in the quiet atmosphere. The smell of incense is sweet and nostalgic in my nose, and the construction techniques that allow unpainted wooden buildings to survive almost without maintenance for hundreds of years are fascinating.

The old places (800 years old or thereabouts) were put together without mechanical fasteners, using post and beam construction techniques far more sophisticated than used in Europe or America, sort of like the way wooden puzzles are constructed with hidden mortises and tenons, keys, wedges and the like all beautifully done by hand. I laid on the outer porch made of bare wood planks worn smooth by centuries of bare feet and looked up into the rafters. As my eyes got used to the darkness, I could spend hours admiring the loving thought put into the effort.

The people were polite to me, and would explain when I asked questions but never tried to proselytize at all, in contrast to the Mormon Missionaries I ran across from time to time in Japan. Why would you imagine I would be against someone praying? I was referring to the old adage that there are no atheists in foxholes. That is simply untrue. Hyakunen

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84531 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 10:41 AM
Try this closing paragraph:
[...]
Peter

-----

Why add anything at all? James Bradley said all that needed to be said.

"When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero.. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. Did NOT come back.'

"So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time."

Take from it what you will, but nothing needs to be added.

Rich

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84535 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 11:16 AM
Better version:

Let us never forget that war is the worst solution to a problem that one can ever imagine. War is wasting young people whose lives have only begun and parents who will never return to their children. War is destroying the proudest achievments of humanity and holding your guts in your own hands. War is the last resort when you are backed into a corner. Let us pray that in the future as in World Wars I and II, the United States is the last to go to war and not the first.

Peter

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84537 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 11:27 AM
Recommendations: 6
Spam it all you want, but the original message said nothing about praying, God, or anything else religious, and your add-on is irrelevant and sickening to me.

Author: TycoonGamer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84538 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 11:42 AM
It's so nice to see the nastiness from other boards has come to this board.

Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84539 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 11:49 AM
Recommendations: 12
Excellent post, Rich.

I am a veteran, a freethinker, and not aligned with any party or religion.

I am a big critic of the One Party Rule and the Christian Taliban.

The prose was spot on in its description of what war does to survivors.

It's refreshing to know the original piece was minus the God and flag paragraphs at the end. It makes the story all the more powerful without the histrionic ending.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84542 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 12:16 PM
Mark Spam it all you want, but the original message said nothing about praying, God, or anything else religious, and your add-on is irrelevant and sickening to me.

Ooopss... :-)

Trying again:

Let us never forget that war is the worst solution to a problem that one can ever imagine. War is wasting young people whose lives have only begun and parents who will never return to their children. War is destroying the proudest achievments of humanity and holding your guts in your own hands. War is the last resort when you are backed into a corner. Let us hope that in the future,as in World Wars I and II, the United States is the last to go to war and not the first.

I must agree with Rich that in terms of the original essay, it doesn't need a conclusion. Tell the story and let people draw their own conclusions.

Peter

Author: TraderJim3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84543 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 12:21 PM
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23858781

Author: FoolinSC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84551 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 1:04 PM
You however interrupted my enjoyment of this board so I am compelled to respond.

You chose to read Tenworld's post. Unless that post is a pop-up ad, your enjoyment was not "interrupted".

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84552 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 1:15 PM
Recommendations: 20
If I may add to the story, under the title of "urban legend":

The picture, the story, and the statue are all true. It all happened pretty much the way it's laid out, except for one thing, which is almost always omitted from the story.

The picture, the story, and the statue are of the raising of the second flag on that spot. The first flag was put up several hours earlier by a detachment which fought its way up Mt. Suribachi before the "six boys" ever got there. As they looked around for somewhere to anchor the flag they had brought, an enemy grenade landed nearby and several of them scattered, including a photographer on hand to capture the event. He went over a 50 foot cliff and smashed his camera up, but he was OK. There were no photos of the first flag raising.

Eventually the flag was raised on a steel pipe, it was seen across the island and gave a great morale boost to the other Marines down on the plain who were under withering fire from the elevated hillsides of the mountain.

One General, whose name escapes me at the moment, elected as how the flag wasn't big enough and sent another much larger one up to replace the original. That was done, and AP photographer Joe Rosenthal happened to catch the iconic picture just as the second flag was being raised. (He almost missed it, he says he was fiddling around with his camera when another photographer (motion picture) yelled "There it goes" and Rosenthal lifted his camera and snapped it.) The picture was a sensation around the country, and later won the Pulitzer Prize.

There was even a controversy about the picture, because Rosenthal sent his film back from the field undeveloped (of course), and the roll had many different pictures on it, including one of the "six boys" standing around the flagpole arm in arm smiling for the camera. Rosenthal was contacted by his editors by radio and asked "Was the picture staged?" He replied "Yes", thinking he was being asked about the smiling group shot, and several stories went out saying that the picture was great but inauthentic.

It was only many days later, after Rosenthal saw the picture of the flag being raised, and a story claiming it was "staged", that he attempted to correct the story, which by then had followed the original picture throughout the media around the country.

And that's how the true story wound up having some "urban legend" attached to it.

Author: pondee619 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84554 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 1:45 PM

No, not really.

Author: pondee619 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84555 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 1:52 PM

o

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84560 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 2:27 PM
TG It's so nice to see the nastiness from other boards has come to this board.

I certainly wasn't trying to be nasty, but I do understand the purpose of this board and will make sure I don't say anything political here for quite a while.

Peter

Author: techie23 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84563 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 2:44 PM
I certainly wasn't trying to be nasty, but I do understand the purpose of this board and will make sure I don't say anything political here for quite a while.

Peter

And make sure you don't say anything funny over on PA either.

Author: Kez2006 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84578 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 6:05 PM
Lost track of what board I was on.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heck! it's been kinda heavy here at HURL lately and had to check to see if I was in the right place.
Not just this thread.

Phew!

BTW: The OP is brilliant.

You guys can get, errr!!!! - very passionate with views, from time to time.

Now, can we get back to some fun? HURL Board is way too good for this mess.

KEZ

Author: topdraftpick Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84579 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 11

tenworlds added to your Ignored Fools list

This message was written by tenworlds, an author you chose to ignore.

Click here to unignore this author.

I am free of your anger.

Take a coupla aspirin, will ya?. Such anger, bad for your heart

If you think the religous nuts are controlling the country, you'd better clean your bifocals.

Joy and peace,
tdp

Author: SockPuppetMan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84580 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 6:22 PM
"The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky. A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epsom salts. Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning. The neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

The military does not inform a person of the death of a loved one by telegram or messenger boy. They do it in person...

Although a toucing story, please be more careful to check on your facts and decide on how you plan to post a made-up story so that it can accuratley reflect how some of these events are dealt with.

-_- Alex -_-

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84586 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 7:28 PM
Recommendations: 9
This message was written by tenworlds, an author you chose to ignore.
Click here to unignore this author.

-----
Can't make up your mind? :-)

I am free of your anger.

-----
Hell, I'm not angry, just tired of being treated as 'not quite American' because I don't believe in God, that's all.

If you think the religous nuts are controlling the country, you'd better clean your bifocals.
-----
Sorry, I see just fine. I see people like Falwell and Dobson mixing religion and politics in high places. If you don't think they have any influence, and use it, it isn't my vision needs to be checked.

OJ:
"Dr. James Dobson, the founder of the conservative Christian organization, Focus on the Family, claimed in a speech Tuesday that the cartoon character SpongeBob Squarepants is gay, and is being used in a pro-homosexual video designed to brainwash kids. And yet he gives that carpet-muncher Dora the Explorer a free ride." --Tina Fey(SNL Weekend Update)

Joy and peace,
tdp

-----

Thanks, and Namaste' to you.
Rich

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84588 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 7:40 PM
Recommendations: 11
The military does not inform a person of the death of a loved one by telegram or messenger boy. They do it in person...

Although a toucing story, please be more careful to check on your facts and decide on how you plan to post a made-up story so that it can accuratley reflect how some of these events are dealt with.

This is inaccurate. But perhaps you can take your own advice.

Here is one of many references to the War Department using telegrams to notify family members of servicemen deaths:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11147506/

Author: SockPuppetMan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84593 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 8:55 PM
Hmm, after further research, you seem to be correct. My apologies.

Informing a person of the death of a loved one by telegram seems very impersonal...

-_- Alex -_-

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84594 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 9:07 PM

When I was a kid during WWII - girlfriends, wives and mothers lived in terror of the Western Union delivery boy with that telegram.

cat

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84595 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 9:08 PM
Informing a person of the death of a loved one by telegram seems very impersonal...

According to the Arlington Cemetary site they are now using email.

Author: hyakunengeezer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84599 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 10:08 PM
The death itself usually seems very impersonal too. Hyakunen

Author: SockPuppetMan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84600 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 10:13 PM
E-mail? That's horrible! :-O I'd hate to be checking stock quotes, jump to my e-mail and find out that I've won a million dollars, again, that I can enlarge my $#@& and that my wife has died defending the country.

-_- Alex -_-

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84604 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 3/27/2006 10:56 PM

That is true... but... starting when?

Author: Watashi13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85053 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/5/2006 12:27 PM
Recommendations: 6

I am free of your anger.

You should look again, TDP. The post that you replied to made "Best of" for the entire month. Rich is one of the most intelligent and fair-minded posters here, with a rec to post ratio of 58--thus the crown.

Enjoy life in that cozy little box that you've created for yourself. The religious nuts are controlling this country and other religious nuts are the only ones who haven't noticed.

Wes -another Atheist veteran sick and tired of having God and patriotism conflated, even on a bleeping humor board!

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85276 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/9/2006 2:34 PM
"tenworlds added to your Ignored Fools list

I am free of your anger.

If you think the religous nuts are controlling the country, you'd better clean your bifocals."

"You should look again, TDP. The post that you replied to made "Best of" for the entire month. Rich is one of the most intelligent and fair-minded posters here, with a rec to post ratio of 58--thus the crown.

Enjoy life in that cozy little box that you've created for yourself. The religious nuts are controlling this country and other religious nuts are the only ones who haven't noticed.

Wes -another Atheist veteran sick and tired of having God and patriotism conflated, even on a bleeping humor board! "

Can't we all just get along? At least on the humour board.

While you're one of my favorites, on this particular issue I just can't agree.

We don't have prayer in school anymore, abortion is still legal and anyone with money can get elected and stay there, even if you were in the KKK.

Some historical traditions continue and while they're a cause for disgruntlement for some, they aren't coming to get ya, and the chances of Falwell or the other guys with big bucks from their TV religious cable shows geting in office is nil.

As for recs, in most cases they don't mean anything except some folks can cut and paste others' materials and get responses and 'positive strokes' for those efforts.

All imnsho.

Author: topdraftpick Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85422 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/11/2006 1:32 PM

Hi Wes,

Interesting data you use to back up your claim.

The number of recs on a humor board on a stock website. Certainly a broad brush of America's philosophical and intellectual elite.

Let's take a look at the condition of today's society as controlled by the religious right.

Abortion is non-existent (whoops, wrong about that one).

My children pray to God daily in school (whoops, missed that one, too).

The ten commandments are posted in all government buildings (hmmm, wrong again).

Same-sex marriage is banned and not even open to discussion (gosh, can I get one of these right?).

Care for the poor is the duty of the church, not the government (0 for 5).

Informed discussion in school would include intelligent design and evolution (I've read Origin of Species and Darwin's Black Box, have you?)

CIA Motto: For ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Oh no! Government sanction of holy writ! I guess you're right, the nuts are in charge, I do question their religiosity, however.

I am happy in my cozy little box, at least it includes thought and reason, not merely pithy aphorisms.

tdp

Author: Watashi13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85432 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/11/2006 3:51 PM
Abortion is non-existent in South Dakota and under attack in all 50 states.

My children pray to God daily in school, just not out loud and they way they don't have to argue about which gods to pray to.

The ten commandments are posted in all government buildings (hmmm, wrong again). Let's see if Roy Moore lands in the Senate.

Same-sex marriage is banned and not even open to discussion (gosh, can I get one of these right?). It is illegal in my state and several others dominated by religious nuts.

Care for the poor is the duty of the church, not the government (0 for 5), but the government is handing out millions of dollars a year to support churches who just happen to care for the poor in some way.

Informed discussion in school would include intelligent design and evolution in a class on mythology and religious faiths of the world.

I am happy in my cozy little box, at least it includes thought and reason, not merely pithy aphorisms.

You might want to look outside once in a while. Read a book or a newspaper...maybe even use the web to learn something.

Author: hyakunengeezer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85435 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/11/2006 4:10 PM
"The number of recs on a humor board on a stock website. Certainly a broad brush of America's philosophical and intellectual elite."

Top, this is Humor and Urban Legends, and you certainly know how to irritate everybody who comes here for Humor and Urban Legends. Is that what you came here for? It's just soup for dinner tonight, so GET THE FORK OUT OF HERE!! Hyakunen (who used to get paid for biting sarcasm)

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85467 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/12/2006 1:41 AM

Let's take a look at the condition of today's society as controlled by the religious right.

Ah, but the original claim was that the country is controlled by religious nuts.

WHICH religious nuts, was not specified.

Author: samgooberfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86105 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/22/2006 1:54 AM
tenworlds added to your Ignored Fools list too.

Sam - Just loves these holier-than-thou athiests

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86184 of 166627
Subject: Re: A Tale of Six Boys Date: 4/23/2006 7:47 PM
tenworlds added to your Ignored Fools list too.

Sam - Just loves these holier-than-thou athiests

-----

That's pretty funny, considering I don't claim to be athiest, nor atheist either.

Hmm... would a 'holier-than-thou athiest' be the athiest atheist?

Rich
-just loves these world class conclusion jumpers

OJ--

A woman was at the beach with her children when her four-year-old son ran up to her, grabbed her hand, and led her to the shore, where a sea gull lay dead in the sand.

"Mommy, what happened to him?" the son asked.

"He died and went to heaven," the mother replied.

Her son thought a moment and then said, "And God threw him back down?"

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement