No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's a question for you techies:

Why isn't the little "submit" button erased immediately after it is pressed?

I've heard horror stories about people purchasing 5x as much stock as they had planned because they kept pressing the submit button. It seems like this could be handled on the client side, as opposed to waiting for a response from the server before the next screen comes up.
Print the post Back To Top
mcgilicutty wrote:

Why isn't the little "submit" button erased immediately after it is pressed?

[...] It seems like this could be handled on the client side, as opposed to waiting for a response from the server before the next screen comes up.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

:) I always wanted to say that. Actually, the classic design of the HTML browser was merely intended for use in viewing static documents (possibly containing hyperlinks) over the internet, a very passive activity. Although modern browsers may be intended to do everything from washing the laundry to taking out the dog, the options for interactivity are still pretty limited.

I don't know which on-line broker you are using, but depending on whether they are using HTML forms or Javascript or something else, you will find various levels of interactivity, none of which are satisfactory. I guess I don't have any good answers for you.

John
I've heard horror stories about people purchasing 5x as much stock as they had planned because they kept pressing the submit button.

They are probably just "internet legends". I work with ESchwab and Ameritrade and such a mistake is impossible.

A given order has a transaction number associated with it. Pressing submit multiple times would issue multiple orders with the same transaction number and therefore the server would reject the additional submissions.

My online orders tend to be ORDER, CONFIRM, ACKNOWLEDGE. That three step process eliminates most problems like you refered too.
Advertisement