UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24798  
Subject: A theory Date: 2/23/2001 11:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I am floting a theory here,and expect a lot of snoballs to get thrown at it.Keep an open mind but don't let your brains fall out (I have a problem with that):).

The Hovin theory;(paraphrasid)

Way back when,the earth was containd by a sphere of ice.Somewhere betwean us and the moon.At that time the
earth was much smoother (no mountains) and the oceans were not as deep.(yes,less water on earth).This would
make earth like a greenhouse.Palm trees growing on or near the
south pole,etc.

Noa is about done with the ark.And a whole messa little comits (I can't remember part of it here).Are attractid to the magnetic poles of the earth.They smash
the ice (which turns to rain) and smack into the poles.
This causes a great deal of plate dissrupshon all by itself.But now the poles freez real fast.And the wolly
mammoths think "Hey what's goin on" as -200 degree "snow" is falling on them.

Now it's raining like crazy.The poles are freezing.And noah lifts off.A global flood.

The pressure of the water combined with the smaking
and freezing cause massive shifts as to solid ground.Mountains and vallys are formed in a short time.
Also the earth is "all shook up" hmm,hmm,oh yea yea,and
re settles.Or should I say restratifys.

The waters aswage (interisting word and mispelled I am sure) and the ark parks as solid earth rises and vallys (oceans) deepen.

Chris

PS Yes I know that the pressure of the water would have 0 effect on plate shift after the planit was covered.But massive amounts of water in low areas as the flood is beginning is something to consider.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 216 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/24/2001 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
Palm trees growing on or near the south pole,etc

Chris, if the Earth were surrounded by a sphere of ice, wouldn't it make sense that this would block some of the sunlight, therefore making the Earth colder? Unless there was some mechinism for re-directing heat, the poles would still be cold, because they receive less energy from the Sun. The poles are covered with ice because they are cold; they're not cold because they are covered with ice.

And a whole messa little comits (I can't remember part of it here).Are attractid to the magnetic
poles of the earth.

There is no evidence that comets contain any signicant amounts of metal, so it is unlikely that a magnetic field would affect their path. Even if the comets were metal, the Earth's magnetic fields are weak enough that a comet moving slow enough to be re-routed by the magnetic fields would not be moving fast enough to cause much damage.

"Hey what's goin on" as -200 degree "snow" is falling on them.

Actually, they would be more likely to get scalded. As the water fell, it would be giving up a great deal of potential energy, which would be converted to heat. Absent a layer of cold air, it is unlikely that it would still consist of ice.

The pressure of the water combined with the smaking
and freezing cause massive shifts as to solid ground.Mountains and vallys are formed in a short time.

If all the mountains were formed at the same time, why are the Appalacian mountains so much more eroded than the Sierra Madre mountains? You can't claim that it is because there is more rain in the east; even the Alps are much less eroded than the Appalacians.

Also the earth is "all shook up" hmm,hmm,oh yea yea,and
re settles.Or should I say restratifys.

If the earth re-stratifies, we would expect fossil remains to be evenly distributed through the layers. But this is not what we find; instead, only very simple life forms are found on the lowest layers; as you move up in layers, you start to find more complicated life forms. It is only when you get to the very uppermost layers that you start to find evidence of modern animals.
Also, you would expect the layer to be rather homogenious. This is not what we find. Instead, the layers are sometimes of rather different materials. In addition, sometimes layers are not parallel, reflecting changes in the orientation of some of the rocks in early times (eg, an upheaval in the Earth's crust lifts up an area, tilting it. Over time, the vally fills in with sediment. The place where the new sediment meets the old layers forms a discontinuity, where the layers are at angles.)

David

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 218 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/25/2001 12:58 AM
Recommendations: 1

David,

It sounds like you think this is my theory.It is not.
I saw it on a vidieo tape produced by Dr.Kent Hovin.

<"Hey what's goin on" as -200 degree "snow" is falling on them.

Actually, they would be more likely to get scalded. As the water fell, it would be giving up a great
deal of potential energy, which would be converted to heat. Absent a layer of cold air, it is unlikely
that it would still consist of ice.>

The "snow" is a byproduct of the comets.The ice is in
space (I gess) but still close enough to be drawn in by
gravity.My assumsion would be that it would evaporate
long before becomming rain,saturate the atmosphere with
moisture and then rain...Yes comets are not very responsive to magnetic forces.And they they go really
fast.Maybe one big one smaked into something going the
other way (yes near impossible) broke up and fell on the poles.I dunno.

I was throwing the theory (what I remember of it) out
as a what if? So we could toss around ideas and
speculate as to maybe, rather than, it does not agree
with what I believe.I have always thought "why not" and
looked from that direction.Some people get real mad
when I do that.But it's my nature.

Chris

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 220 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/25/2001 2:28 PM
It sounds like you think this is my theory.It is not.

I wasn't completly sure, but there was enough stuff I had heard before that I wasn't going to blame you for coming up with it ;-)

I have always thought "why not" and
looked from that direction.

You ask "why not?", I try to answer (I don't claim to have them all, or even most of them, BTW). Nothing to get mad about. Besides, we can't learn without questioning. Actually, I like things like this, because it is a good exercise to figure out what is wrong with them.

David

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 231 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/26/2001 11:32 AM
I don't know that much about the vapor canopy hypothesis, but i know plenty about Kent Hovind. The guy is a fraud with a slew of fake degrees and a phony evolution "challenge" that attempts to mimic James Randi's. He's one of those guys who's so far out there that he thinks dinosaurs are still walking the earth somewhere today, just really well hidden.

Here's some general funny stuff on Kent Hovind:
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~stear/hovind_fractured_fairy_tales.htm

About Hovind's phony challenge:
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/9917/evolution/challenge.html
http://holysmoke.org/hovind5.htm

And regarding the vapor canopy hypothesis, the old reliable talkorigins.org of course provides this page:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/canopy.html

Author: OldFatherHubbord Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/26/2001 11:36 AM
Hey!

Don't you watch "The Lost World"?

Lets not forget about the birds too.

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/26/2001 11:43 AM
Don't you watch "The Lost World"?

No, but I'll bet that's where Kent Hovind gets his science education from. That and "The Flintstones".

Author: nf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/26/2001 11:43 PM
Recommendations: 0

Kazim,

<He's one of those guys who's so far out there that he thinks dinosaurs are still
walking the earth somewhere today, just really well hidden.>

Yes he does.He makes a lot of good points but a lot
of his stuff is WAY out there.

The living dinos are in lok ness and a huge swamp in
africa,,he says.

Chris

Author: chkarnes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 248 of 24798
Subject: Re: A theory Date: 2/27/2001 12:17 AM
He's one of those guys who's so far out there that he thinks dinosaurs are still
walking the earth somewhere today, just really well hidden.

Yes he does.He makes a lot of good points but a lot
of his stuff is WAY out there.

The living dinos are in lok ness and a huge swamp in
africa,,he says.

Chris

And in the swamps of Florida; they're called alligators, and they're not all that well hidden.
Charlie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement