Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 194
I have just received some very sad news. JohnGaltII, AKA Foolishly Free has been killed in a car accident. His father called me and said he was driving home in the rain and lost control of his vehicle. It went over a median and he was hit by a truck. He was pronounced Dead on Arrival at the hospital.
If you would like to send condolences, please contact me and I will give you the addresses.
Kathleen
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
A very, very sad day indeed...
We've all lost a friend & a standard-bearer for reason.

Perhaps the Fool can complete his post of FAQs as memorium.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20924060

Here's sending condolences & support to those who survive him.
Dave
No. of Recommendations: 1
In tribute I ask "Who is John Galt".

Sad news indeed.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wow. This is shocking and sad news. I've never met him, but I feel like I have. He will be missed.
No. of Recommendations: 3
He was an inspiration. I loved seeing his name on the roster, knowing that there'd be a good read, well reasoned, with just the click of a key. I'll miss his wisdom, and would like his family and loved ones to know how appreciated he was.

Abba
He and I got into a riff back in Gwen's Pub just a few days ago, now I just feel bad for "shouting" at him, so to speak, in our heated debate.

I knew he meant well, we were just a couple of guys strenuously arguing our points.

And he held up and supported points quite well.

It would have been more interesting had I known him in person. I probably coulda had a beer with him at a bar.

Damn.

Duck
It would have been more interesting had I known him in person. I probably coulda had a beer with him at a bar.

Damn.

I doubt it, Duck. He didn't drink <grin>. He was a really great guy. I'm procrastinating greatly on telling my children. They are both going to be heart-broken, as my husband and I are now.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Godspeed Galt (as a totally secular figure of speech of course (-:)

To everyone who called Galt family or friend, my deepest felt sympathy to you. I appreciate the time I spent reading his posts on various boards. The personality of some of those boards will change in his absence.......they just won't be the same. I did not know him in real life. But, the integrity and conviction he showed on the boards, I always respected (even on the rare occasions and few issues we didn't agree (-:). And the sharp humor, I thoroughly enjoyed.

Kathleen, Please email me contact info. I sense you have lost a dear friend. My condolences to you, and your family. I hope fond memories wash out the sense of loss in time.
"I have just received some very sad news.

My condolances to his family and friends. I never met "JGII" in person, but after several posts and emails off the boards he invited me to join him for dinner if I was ever in his area of the country. I was looking forward to that meeting... very sad.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 18
I've known Ken (JohnGaltII) for years, and had many a stimulating conversation with him about mechanical investing strategies. He organized the Mechanical Investing conferences; we first met face-to-face at the one in Atlanta several years ago. Although we come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, he and I actually agreed on more than we disagreed. I'll miss his random late night phone calls, and his passion for politics and economics.

This is a huge loss for the Motley Fool community. I hope Kathleen will encourage his family to check in with this board, to share a few memories and to hear how much we valued his presence and contributions.

Loren
No. of Recommendations: 9
Liberty has lost a friend and a defender.

Todd
Oh no.
Deepest condolences to friends and family. Their loss is greater than ours who knew him only through his posting.

He will be missed.

An Appreciative Lurker
I have just received some very sad news. JohnGaltII, AKA Foolishly Free has been killed in a car accident.

Sad, sad news indeed. John and I had our disagreements, but I am now so glad that John and I had "made up". I had great respect for his detailed analyses and commented on his recent "Health Care" post that he had "raised the bar for everyone" and added him to my "Favorite Fools".

A great loss for the TMF community. He will be sorely missed.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Very sad news. Although, I didn't know him personally, I looked forward everyday to reading his thought provoking posts on a variety of subjects. You could always count on him to back up his thoughts with evidence and to always keep the discussion on a civil level.

He will be missed.

Eric
Wow. I read this yesterday and I still am not sure I can believe it yet.

Kathleen, I hope you will tell us more as you are able. I hope you are communicating to his family the extent of the response this very bad and sad news is getting at the fool.

I'll miss him. I'll try to learn something from this. I think he would have liked that.

Mike/R:)ph
No. of Recommendations: 24
"I'll miss him. I'll try to learn something from this. I think he would have liked that.

Mike/R:)ph"

Hi Mike,

1) Pituophis said, " Sad, sad news indeed. John and I had our disagreements, but I am now so glad that John and I had "made up".

There is one lesson to learn, clean things up as you go. You may not have the chance to do it later.

2) Many years ago I received a call in the night, my 13 year old son was dead. I had no chance to say good bye, to tell him I loved him...

That is a second lesson, tell those you love them how you feel. Don't assume they "know" it. Even if they do, they'll like hearing it.

3) Don't count on tomorrow, you can only do it "today".

Learn these three lessons and you may save yourself a lifetime of regrets that can never be undone.

Regards, Ken
I havent posted here much but I know John was a true Liberterian so I thought this was appropriate here...

Over on the Current Events board the Obituary has been posted...

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20950293

If you follow the link it will take you to an online guest book where people can leave condolences for the family.

So sad, so young and so sudden.

spacetofill
I was just becoming introduced to his commentary and liked his willingness to discuss. Few like him on the Fool, less interesting will be the discourse. I think the best memorial would be to keep up rational dialog.
I met Ken years ago and was immediately impressed with his energy and incredible intelligence. I have learned much from debating him on these boards and reading his debates with others. And I know that many, many others learned from him as well.

He will be greatly missed.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 5
I had the chance to meet Ken through the MI board and in particular through his work on setting up the MiCON events.

He was definitely a great person who I will miss dearly.

From the posts I can tell there are some of you who know him from just this political board and a couple feeling guilty about your deferring political views. Let me tell you from the little I knew Ken I can tell you that he loved politics and he loved debating. When we talked on the phone we would have some fun and interesting discussions. I can also tell you that Ken was the type of person who would have never had hard feeling over someone getting into it with him hard on politics. His MI name Foolishly Free definitely fit and he was a little of a free spirit. I gaurentee you if he ran into the person he had been debating the hardest with at a bar he would be buying you the drinks before you could get him that one.

So rest assured that FF had no hard feelings and I am sure felt enhanced with all those who would debate and discuss politics with him.

Moe
If any of you are able, please sign the guest book for his family here:
http://www.legacy.com/atlanta/Guestbook.asp?Page=Guestbook&PersonID=2366247
It would be wonderful for his family to see how many people he touched.
Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 6
I can't add much to what everyone else has said, only that reading this thread's first post hit me like a ton of bricks and I didn't know what to do, think, or say. Dr. Ken has influenced me in the same way he has many others - with his intellect and eloquence in the defense of liberty and personal responsibility. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will feel deprived of his example in the years to come.

Jason
Here's a direct link to the obituary notice

http://www.legacy.com/atlanta/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=2366247

Kenneth Meyer
Family-Placed Death Notice

Dr. Kenneth Meyer entered into rest on Friday, June 25, 2004 at the Boswell Memorial Hospital, Greensboro, GA at the age of 42. Funeral Services will be Monday, June 28, at 11 A.M. from the Chapel of Elliott & Sons Funeral Home, 1134 Telfair St. with Rabbi Sanford Marcus officiating. Interment will follow in Westover Cemetery, Augusta. Survivors include his parents, Leon and Anita Meyer, Augusta, brother, David L. Meyer, Newark, DE, two nieces, Leah F. Meyer and Deanna S. Meyer, Newark, DE. Dr. Meyer was a member of the Walton Way Temple. He received his M.D. in Pediatrics in 1994 from the Medical College of Georgia attending from 1990 to 1996. Before this, he had received a Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautics in Astronautical Engineering from Purdue Univeristy, Lafayette, IN. Memorial contributions may be made to the Children's Medical Center at the Georgia Medical College of Augusta or Children of Israel Congregation 3005 Walton Way, Augusta, GA. Services are under the direction of Elliott & Sons Funeral Home, 1134 Telfair St. Augusta, GA 30901, 706-722-5566.

Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on 6/27/2004.
Though I only knew Ken for a short time through the MF and email correspondence, I am stunned and saddened by news of his sudden death.

It is interesting that he had combined my father's career (aeronautical engineer) with mine (physician). I am only a few years younger. Perhaps that explains our like minds.

In a brief time, I learned much from Ken and gained a friend. I had looked forward to further intellectual discourse and greater friendship.

Sadly, this will not be so.

As a physician in a busy emergency department, I am confronted with our mortality on a daily basis. I have cared for many whose lives were cut short by such a tragic end. News such as this reminds me of their humanity and our duty to care for our fellow humanity.

I offer condolences and prayers to Ken's family and friends.

David (aka wolvy)
Unbelievable....

Was behind a few weeks on the board... just finished skimming through, focusing on JohnGaltII's posts and threads as usual...and wham I felt like I hit a wall.

His presence will be missed by many.

--
whyohwhyoh

No. of Recommendations: 13
This is a crosspost from CE - sorry about that, but I'm a man on a mission. I thought Ken was writing a book, probably encapsulating his Libertarian perspective, and am wondering if he communicated that to anyone on this board. My CE post on the subject:

------------------------------------------
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20957288

Author: exoracle
Number: of 79855
Subject: Re: A thread for JohnGaltII

"Just a few days prior to his death he was cross-posting some of his posts that he clearly had spent some time and research writing, asking for our comments, inviting debate so that he may strengthen and clarify his position." - Luce

I always thought Ken was writing a book. I had the impression that he was working on a book late at night while multi-tasking on these boards (It only took a small percentage of his attention to beat my late night arguments into submission). I think he used the MF boards as a sounding board for the themes in his book and to refine his thinking exactly as LuceLu suggests.

His reply in this thread was part of the reason why I think this:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20347530

Posts like this are probably draft chapters:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20918101

The fact that he was posting these essays now might indicate that he was close to completing the work.

Meant to ask him about it, but never did. I did not have any off-board communication with Ken, to my regret. Did anyone else ever hear anything from him about a book?

If there is a Ken Meyer book out there, in whatever state of completion, I hope it is not lost. Ken lived and loved the written word, and a book of his thoughts and analysis would be a fitting legacy. I, for one, would love to read it. - exoracle
exoracle,

Posts like this are probably draft chapters:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20918101
The fact that he was posting these essays now might indicate that he was close to completing the work.

Meant to ask him about it, but never did. I did not have any off-board communication with Ken, to my regret. Did anyone else ever hear anything from him about a book?

Hmmm... interesting observation. Ken was known also for his erratic spelling. I think the thoughts he was expressing were so much more important to him than the mechanics of writing that he just let that part slide.

I was very impressed with the post you linked to (above). I went through and proofread it, and emailed him privately a copy with the spelling corrected, double words removed, and so forth. His last email to me, June 20th, read:

Okay. I thought you had changed the wordings, not proofread it. ;^) I do appreciate the effort. Those errors did not seem to come to life. I will be posting it elsewhere, and I will use your proofed edition.

Again, thanks!

Ken

I thought the "posting it elsewhere" was a little odd, since he'd been posting links to the original rather than doing multiple postings. Maybe he was intending it for part of a book, and didn't want to announce that yet. Or maybe he just meant posting to some other message board system.

Phil
I always thought Ken was writing a book.

I, too. And if not, he should have been... and would have eventually, I've no doubt. I would have bought it. I plan to write a book (or three) someday soon myself... and could think of none better to vet my logic and presentation. But the great resource that was Ken's beautiful mind is lost to us.

-NGR
Or maybe he just meant posting to some other message board system.

He had an affiliation of some sort with a developing liberty-minded website. I ran across a link around the boards somewhere that took me there. I got the impression that maybe it was his website.

-NGR
He had an affiliation of some sort with a developing liberty-minded website. I ran across a link around the boards somewhere that took me there. I got the impression that maybe it was his website.

I'm pretty sure it was his website - and I've been trying to find a posted link to it, but can't seem to. Can anybody provide it?

JT
No. of Recommendations: 10
A very sad day, indeed.

:(

I was just getting to know him, but was impressed with the little bit I saw.

IJL

I don't believe he was actively working on a book, but it was quite likely something he was looking at doing in the future. I know at the moment he was building an airplane as a show for PBS. Sort of a "See, you can build a plane, too" or "This is how a plane is built from the ground up" show.
"I don't believe he was actively working on a book, but it was quite likely something he was looking at doing in the future." zsimpson

Thanks Kathleen - Based on your relationship with Ken in the real world, I accept and appreciate that you have an insight that I do not. My fear is that there is a PC/Laptop with his work on it, and a family that has no real sense of his on-line world and how important that was to Ken (Cripes - I cannot even explain to my wife why "Motley Fool" is on the screen every time she walks in - she is convinced I am having a cyber-affair with someone named Motley). I am imagining a conversation in the Meyer family - "What do we do with Ken's computer?" - "How about give it to Bobby, He needs a computer for school." And then Bobby cannot make head or tails out of Ken's Linux Operating System, reloads Windows, and his work is gone.

Also - thanks Radish and Hewler for your posts. I was not aware of his website under construction, and now suspect that pursuitofliberty.com was the actual intended destination for his essays. Seems more Ken-like, self published and on-line immediately. Too bad that he did not get it further along. - exo
This is a crosspost from CE - sorry about that, but I'm a man on a mission. I thought Ken was writing a book, probably encapsulating his Libertarian perspective, and am wondering if he communicated that to anyone on this board. My CE post on the subject:

exoracle, I think I can safely say he was not actively working on a book. He may have had one planned in the future, but he was not working on one at the present. He was working on televising the construction of an airplane for PBS, along with tons of other stuff, including building his medical practice and a few other things.

I thought the "posting it elsewhere" was a little odd, since he'd been posting links to the original rather than doing multiple postings. Maybe he was intending it for part of a book, and didn't want to announce that yet. Or maybe he just meant posting to some other message board system.

He had a few websites, some of which were dedicated to libertarian principles. I do not have the links, I'm sorry. I'll try to dig them up.
Thanks Kathleen - Based on your relationship with Ken in the real world, I accept and appreciate that you have an insight that I do not. My fear is that there is a PC/Laptop with his work on it, and a family that has no real sense of his on-line world and how important that was to Ken (Cripes - I cannot even explain to my wife why "Motley Fool" is on the screen every time she walks in - she is convinced I am having a cyber-affair with someone named Motley). I am imagining a conversation in the Meyer family - "What do we do with Ken's computer?" - "How about give it to Bobby, He needs a computer for school." And then Bobby cannot make head or tails out of Ken's Linux Operating System, reloads Windows, and his work is gone.

I'll talk to his mom and dad and ask them about the writings he has on it. His family is very sweet and trust me, he came by that brain honestly. His dad was a Georgia Tech Engineer, his brother is a pilot, and his mom is no slouch, either.

The funeral was yesterday, and after the cermonoies and such, we went back to his parent's house. I showed them the various threads offering condolences, and they were quite impressed. I think it really helped.

BTW, his mom was really proud that he got to be a delegate at the National Convention. I know one of the guys on here in particular helped a lot in that, but I cannot remember what the man's name is. Whoever you are, thanks.
http://www.pursuitofliberty.com/

Thanks hewler - it's bookmarked now so I won't lose it.

JT
BTW, his mom was really proud that he got to be a delegate at the National Convention. I know one of the guys on here in particular helped a lot in that, but I cannot remember what the man's name is. Whoever you are, thanks.

The only guy to come to mind is JohnnyX - he attended the convention as well but I can't recall if he was also a delegate...

JT
The only guy to come to mind is JohnnyX - he attended the convention as well but I can't recall if he was also a delegate...

That's who it was!! I knew if I saw the name, my brain would start working again.
Thanks lots.
No. of Recommendations: 9
I just found out about Ken's death -- hadn't been to the board in a while. I'm sitting here, just stunned. Nothing I'm working on seems to be so important anymore, obviously. I know these things are bound to happen when we all converse with so many others here -- the law of large numbers and all that. And I know that I never actually met Ken in person. But those things don't make it hurt any less. Ken was a genuinely good guy. Yes, he held his views strongly, but he was always respectful to others. That respect, along with his clarity of thought, will be greatly missed.

Dean
No. of Recommendations: 8
Someone, somewhere along the line asked me to put up some pix of JGII. I'm not sure whether it was here or the Current Events Board, and I'm just getting to it now. My apologies for the lack of speed.
I just wish there were more. We lost a lot of them in a crash last year.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kmsimpson2000/album?.dir=/0196
I got a chance to meet him in Atlanta over Memorial Day weekend. He seemed like a very good egg. He'll no doubt be missed.

Yours truly,
Mr. X

...sad...
Advertisement