Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a 25 yr old single mom. I LOVE walmart, Target and TjMax. In one trip to wal-mart i spend over 300.00 bucks on things we HONESTLY don't need. At target it's about double that and TjMax is just atrocious. My question is in reading a post I read that Wal-mart is 'off limits' and should be 'avoidied' at all costs. Why? Can one not live beyond your means in Wal-mart?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Can one not live beyond your means in Wal-mart?

I suppose, but why chance it? You are going to have to rub elbows with the homeless and how long are you going to have to wait for the valet? I don't think I want an old guy parking my Bentley. Aren't the greeters there to go fetch items for you? It's not like I am going to walk and get what I need. I never understood them.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I suppose, but why chance it? You are going to have to rub elbows with the homeless and how long are you going to have to wait for the valet? I don't think I want an old guy parking my Bentley. Aren't the greeters there to go fetch items for you? It's not like I am going to walk and get what I need. I never understood them......

A Valet at Wal-Mart? (scratching head) I have never heard of such a thing. I would NOT want some old person touching my tampons, diapers and the cute panty and bra set
A Valet at Wal-Mart? (scratching head) I have never heard of such a thing. I would NOT want some old person touching my tampons, diapers and the cute panty and bra set

You seem able to Live Beyond Your Means with ease. Some of the other posters, myself included, have to work at it. Walmart is not helpful to me in my endeavors.

rad
No. of Recommendations: 3
I shop there just for the eye candy.

Perhaps you're not tipping them enough. You don't want to look like some Section 8 skinflint.

Sunrunner4 - always helpful.
I am a 25 yr old single mom. I LOVE walmart, Target and TjMax. In one trip to wal-mart i spend over 300.00 bucks on things we HONESTLY don't need. At target it's about double that and TjMax is just atrocious. My question is in reading a post I read that Wal-mart is 'off limits' and should be 'avoidied' at all costs. Why? Can one not live beyond your means in Wal-mart?

$300.00 worth of stuff you don't need from Walmart takes up a LOT of space. Think about it...that $300 could by a pair of Gucci sunglasses http://www.gucci.com/us/us-english/us/fall-winter-07/sunglasses/ or a Coach purse http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=10175&category_id=1191 or a Portuguese Water Dog http://kamolotkennels.com/id28.html or a Bulova watch http://www.epinions.com/Bulova_Diamond_98R34_Wrist_Watch.

It just seems like a lot of effort to get that money spent, the way you're doing it.

No. of Recommendations: 2
I shop there just for the eye candy.

You know, one time in college, I was at the local Wal-mart, and I had a guy in overalls whistle at me through his tooth.

Was that you?

;)
You know, one time in college, I was at the local Wal-mart, and I had a guy in overalls whistle at me through his tooth.

It's possible.

Were you the one wearing the XXL sweats and filling your cart with giant boxes of snacks?

mick
It just seems like a lot of effort to get that money spent, the way you're doing it. - sofaking

I agree with sofaking. If you're going to live beyond your means, then at least buy nice quality things with the money and maybe try to get some items that will actually appreciate (gold, silver, etc). Wal-Mart, Target and TJ Maxx are not the way to go.

I honestly don't see why you would want to continue to live beyond your means if you're conscious of it. If money is simply burning a hole in your pocket so that you just HAVE to go shopping, then try setting up an automatic investment plan so you don't have the money available to tempt you.
No. of Recommendations: 4
If money is simply burning a hole in your pocket so that you just HAVE to go shopping, then try setting up

You don't get this board.
I honestly don't see why you would want to continue to live beyond your means if you're conscious of it. If money is simply burning a hole in your pocket so that you just HAVE to go shopping, then try setting up an automatic investment plan so you don't have the money available to tempt you.
DITTO.

Are you sure you're really living beyond your means? I mean if you got the money to spend and your future is secure, is that living beyond your means? Now if you’re spending the rent money, or can’t buy the babies’ diapers, you definitely got a problem ;). However, if I had money like that to spend I would rather invest it. Think of it this way… what investment can I buy into this week… :).

I am able to save a fair bit, and I'm tempted to spend all the time. I just decided I would buy myself one thing a paycheck to content my material wants - like a $15 DVD... built quite a collection that way. The rest I’m saving and learning about investing, so soon I can do so.
Nevermind. Just got the whole idea of this forum... oops. Ha.
No. of Recommendations: 3
. I just decided I would buy myself one thing a paycheck to content my material wants - like a $15 DVD

Next time hire the band. And don't forget to tip.
Advertisement