UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726193  
Subject: Re: What is your goal in life? Date: 10/11/2012 9:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
A week ago, my wife and I were being shown around a CCRC (retirement community) that is closer to the Medical Center where I'm being treated for the same thing: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy. We don't plan to move anytime soon, unless I go back on the transplant list, which I came off of because my Ejection Fraction moved from 10 up to 35-40 after a year and a half on the meds and a CRT-D (Biventricular pacemaker and cardio defibrilator) being implanted. My main doc doesn't know how long I'll stay at this level before going back down again, but it could be days or it could be years, nobody knows. I still get short of breath and fatigued with minimal exertion, but I've been getting use to it. Anyway, during the tour, the rep for the place asked me what I had been doing since I stopped working two and a half years ago, and I said "just trying to stay alive." She looked totally flustered, but recovered and continued the tour. While we were walking, I told my wife that I regreted having said what I said, but that it was in fact the first thing that popped into my mind, and it's in fact what I have been doing for the past two and a half years. I don't plan on saying it again, but life frequently sends us some huge challenges, and we simply have to confront them and deal with them as best we can. Having read your posts for a long time now, you seem to have what it takes to recover and get back on track. Maybe a new med might help, so you should certainly tell your doc how you've been feeling. Nobody else walks in your shoes, so it's up to you to find out how your want to answer the question when you're asked, "Hey, what have you been doing for the past few years." I think we all can do better than saying, "just trying to stay alive." Personally, I want to find new things that bring pleasure into my life so I can better enjoy whatever the future brings. Good luck.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement