No. of Recommendations: 10
A while back this thread was focusing on who might be an appropriate cult figure, best representing the inflation of today's market. I remember that Tiddman mentioned The Motley Fool as a potential candidate. It just occurred to me just how awful this would look in retrospect if the Rimpinths did hit the fan, so to speak. I mean, you can see the books circa 2030 talking about the cult hero that symbolized the days of internet mania.

[note by the way, that I'm generally a huge fan of the Fool, which provides much more than Rule Breaking investment philosophy; this is just one of those I can just see it dream sequences...]

Before the second great crash, one popular hub of amateur investing, in an articulation more prescient than even the most ardent of bears, actually went ahead and declared itself and its followers to be raving fools. Actively repelling both wisdom and professional guidance, this group seemed to actually covet the insanity of day. Soon, millions of one click business owners were diddling away their productive working hours milling about a massive message board pep rally, bragging to each other about what complete and utter fools they all were. The foolish mantra included stock picking criteria that actively sought issues that were generally considered "grossly overvalued" and had most appreciated in price over the last year, and mocked risk as an investment consideration.

For a time after, rumours persisted that these foolish proprietors were actually the implementers of a secrete experiment gone awry between an unknown arm of Xerox PARC, the National Security Agency, and the Federal Reserve, intended to initially show that a small number of newsletter subscribers could be swayed to become admittedly idiotic participants in a bubble. It is hard to fathom that nothing ever came of such accusations, as it means that millions of literate citizens openly disgorged their hard earned hours and dollars with the admitted goal of becoming monetary fools. At least the Dutch didn't lose their life savings capriciously bidding up the prices of actual bubbles.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement