Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442472  
Subject: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/11/2012 9:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 95
http://www.ericgarland.co/2012/11/09/letter-to-a-future-repu...

PF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412797 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/11/2012 9:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
That belongs on "Conservative Fools". See how long it takes someone to start name-calling (there are a few who wouldn't, based on my limited exposure...but many would).

Author: goaltender95 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412799 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 12:10 AM
Recommendations: 0
OMFG that was pure awesomeness!!!

Author: Balderan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412800 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 6:10 AM
Recommendations: 6
Nah, he doesn't fit the GOP profile: he's educated...

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412803 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 8:57 AM
http://www.ericgarland.co/2012/11/09/letter-to-a-future-repu...

PF

Just love it, thanks for sharing this!

Singling out a favorite excerpt (there are SO many goodies here):

"Perhaps if everyone in your generation didn’t take the period of 1978 – 1995 to start surreptitiously banging their neighbors and coworkers, only to abandon their kids because “they just weren’t happy,” I would take your defense of marriage more seriously."

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412808 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 10:26 AM

"Perhaps if everyone in your generation didn’t take the period of 1978 – 1995 to start surreptitiously banging their neighbors and coworkers, only to abandon their kids because “they just weren’t happy,” I would take your defense of marriage more seriously."

well... I think I'm part of that 'generation'
and think he got that wrong:
more like "1968-1994"m

& some if us werent all that 'surreptitiously'
NTTAWWT

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412810 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 10:42 AM
Recommendations: 40
Great post. The problem is, he missed something critical. He is *not* the target of the GOP.

First, he got some learnin'. That's just too much schoolin' to not turn into a capuchino-suckin' liberal elitist.

Second, he's been to other places. He actually can sit down and compare a chart of health outcomes from other nations, and cast a discerning eye on the results, and they line up with his experiences. Everyone knows that the Devil is waiting to getcha if you go outside the US border. Why do you think so many people want to come in? So he's an impure heathen.

Third, his wife's a doctor, but doesn't hate Obamacare. She's probably in on the conspiracy. I bet she chairs a death panel.

Fourth, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of how many guns he owns. By God and Sonny Jesus, that's a Big Red Flag.

Fifth, speaking of God, He is notably lacking in this man's life...not even a footnote!

There is no way the GOP would take this guy, despite his race!

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412811 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 3

Was there a generation that didn't?

Like someone's comment about sex, every generation thinks it's the first to discover adultery.

rj

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412815 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 11:15 AM
Happy Balloons Day, JT!

AM

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412817 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
There is no way the GOP would take this guy, despite his race!

So, you're saying he's a WINO - White In Name Only? :-)

--FY

Author: thezfunk One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412819 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 12:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
I have an actual response from an 'actual' Republican...you know...the kind that disregard all facts as 'leftist, hippy, God, gun & America hating Commies'.

" ...this guy is a white liberal pretending he's a Republican. I don't think he hates American...but he certainly doesn't understand the proper role of government. His unquestioning support for Obamacare is evidence enough of that. People like him are propaganda used by the left to sucker people. He uses correct assertions to draw false conclusions (yes, the GOP as a party fails to throw out the people that can't stop talking about rape). But his demand is to moderate the party. Anyone that has looked at the data knows that the reason Romney got 1.5 million fewer votes than McCain is because the hardcore conservatives of the party failed to show up because Romney wasn't conservative enough. This man a Joe Scarborough, a guy that thinks the party is too conservative when it's not that the party is too conservative, he's just not a Republican. End of story. I could go on and on about how wrong this whole article is but I'll just leave it at that."

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412820 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 11
This man a Joe Scarborough, a guy that thinks the party is too conservative when it's not that the party is too conservative, he's just not a Republican. End of story.

Remember when people were wondering whether Republicans would learn anything from this election? I guess there's your answer.

--FY

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412822 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 12:57 PM

Happy Balloons Day,

thanks AM.. almost scary how long we've been here

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412823 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 1:00 PM
Remember when people were wondering whether Republicans would learn anything from this election? I guess there's your answer.

Then there's a good chance they'll get spanked even harder in the next one. (Wouldn't it be fun if mid-terms showed a reversal in the House??)

For some reason my favorite definition of "insanity" is coming to mind...

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412825 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 1:07 PM
I imagine non-white races are wondering "how's that 'paper bag' rule working for you now?".

Author: Gordon66 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412828 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 40
Wow. As someone who has almost the exact same white male profile as Garland, and is not a GOP voter for exactly the same reasons, I have to say I especially liked the part expressing offense at the modern GOP's insinuation that if you don't love the GOP you must be shiftless, lazy, of poor moral character, etc. That frikkin' drives me crazy, especially coming as it so often does from hypocritical grifters who wouldn't know a genuine moral value if hit them in the face.

Gordon66

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412837 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 5:17 PM
Happy Balloons Day,

thanks AM.. almost scary how long we've been here

--------

I know... but thanks to this place we actually met each other.
And a bunch of other good folks. Way cool. Made a difference for me, for sure! :)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412844 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 5:57 PM

And a bunch of other good folks. Way cool. Made a difference for me, for sure! :)

and thanks to investment advice on boards
we're now independently wealthy!

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412845 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/12/2012 6:01 PM
and thanks to investment advice on boards
we're now independently wealthy!

--------

LOL!

AM

Author: FoolishVintner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412889 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 36
"...Anyone that has looked at the data knows that the reason Romney got 1.5 million fewer votes than McCain is because the hardcore conservatives of the party failed to show up because Romney wasn't conservative enough. This man a Joe Scarborough, a guy that thinks the party is too conservative when it's not that the party is too conservative, he's just not a Republican. End of story."

The only story that's ending is the Republican's hopes for a conservative in the White House, if that's the lesson you are going to keep deriving from being spanked down by swing voters every time.

Or have you forgotten that that was exactly the kind of sour grapes you had about John McCain too? He wasn't "conservative enough?"

The hardcore conservatives showed up, in fact they were more motivated to show up this time according to the pollsters (you know, the ones guys like you thought were liberally biased, but who ended up being 100% right). You are in deep denial if you think you can win any national elections on the basis of the "hardcore conservative" vote. It wasn't the Moderate Mitt that lost Florida and Virginia, it was the bungler who said he wanted to abolish FEMA (??!!) during the primaries to impress "hardcore conservatives." It wasn't Moderate Mitt who lost Ohio, it was the bungler who opposed the (successful) auto bailout to impress "hardcore conservatives." And it was the Tea Party, your "hardcore conservative" rape guys, and Mitch McConnell was lost it everywhere else.

It's not just the demographics, which have *permanently* shifted federal power away from the angry white vote (Nixon's southern strategy is now officially, undeniably more of a liability than an asset). No, it's your party's increasing ideological disconnect - not only with the core values of this country today, but of your own party history. When all you can do is attack the president for enacting stuff that YOU GUYS INVENTED, AND SUPPORTED UNTIL JUST A FEW YEARS AGO (cap and trade, health care mandates, etc.), and when Ronald Reagan becomes a symbol of compromise and moderation on the left, and you know the GOP has some serious self-reflection to do. Judging by posts like this, partisan Democrats can take comfort in knowing that rank-and-file Republicans are going to have to go through a decade or two of this kind of electoral shellackings before that happens.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412909 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 3:00 PM
Recommendations: 7
Anyone that has looked at the data knows that the reason Romney got 1.5 million fewer votes than McCain is because the hardcore conservatives of the party failed to show up because Romney wasn't conservative enough.

I've looked at the data and I don't think that's true. The Republican base self-reported as being hugely energized, and there's no reason to think they weren't. However, the Republican base was smaller in 2008 than it was in 2012. Mitt Romney and virtually all of the conservative pundits looked the voter enthusiasm numbers and believed them. And then they looked at the very same polls that showed the number of self-reported Republicans was decreasing and assumed that was because Baghdad Nate Silver was lying to them.

The Republican war on math and science is coming home to roost. The Romney campaign cherry picked numbers they liked and dismissed the ones they didn't. But it was all the same data. The whole campaign was based on wishful thinking, and AFAIK, no Republican ever tried to talk them down out of the tree. Not one of them had the intellectual depth to point out the mistake they were making. At least not in public. A pretty expensive lesson to learn. I wonder if they learned it?

Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412911 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 3:24 PM
I've looked at the data and I don't think that's true. The Republican base self-reported as being hugely energized, and there's no reason to think they weren't. However, the Republican base was smaller in 2008 than it was in 2012.

I'm not sure whether you meant to say that the GOP base was smaller in 2012 than 2008, but I think that the poster is corret that the GOP did experience a base turnout problem.

Take Ohio. In 2008, total turnout was about 5.6 million voters, with 35% self-identifying as conservative. That's about 1.96 million conservative voters going to the polls. In 2012, total turnout fell to 5.3 million, but still only 35% self-identifying as conservative - for about 1.85 million conservative voters. Thus, about 110K fewer conservatives went to the polls in Ohio in 2012 than in 2008.

That's very inconsistent with what the GOP told itself about this election. They were clearly surprised at how good the Obama campaign was at returning its own supporters (self-identified liberals actually turned out in slightly higher numbers in 2012).....but suffering an absolute drop in your own base like that isn't affected by your opponent's GOTV.

Albaby

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412914 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 3:53 PM
Take Ohio. In 2008, total turnout was about 5.6 million voters, with 35% self-identifying as conservative. That's about 1.96 million conservative voters going to the polls. In 2012, total turnout fell to 5.3 million, but still only 35% self-identifying as conservative - for about 1.85 million conservative voters. Thus, about 110K fewer conservatives went to the polls in Ohio in 2012 than in 2008

But albaby, that means fewer liberal voters turned out as well (since the proportion remained the same, but the absolute number of voters declined). So, at least for Ohio, the drop in based hit BOTH parties (based on your numbers).

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412915 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 3:55 PM
I'm not sure whether you meant to say that the GOP base was smaller in 2012 than 2008, but I think that the poster is corret that the GOP did experience a base turnout problem.

Take Ohio. In 2008, total turnout was about 5.6 million voters, with 35% self-identifying as conservative. That's about 1.96 million conservative voters going to the polls. In 2012, total turnout fell to 5.3 million, but still only 35% self-identifying as conservative - for about 1.85 million conservative voters. Thus, about 110K fewer conservatives went to the polls in Ohio in 2012 than in 2008.

Sorry, I indeed meant the base was smaller in 2012 than in 2008.

We might be talking past each other. I'm saying that their turnout problem was because the base shrunk.

That guy seems to be saying they had a base turnout problem because the base decided to sit at home rather than vote for a moderate.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412918 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 4:31 PM
The only story that's ending is the Republican's hopes for a conservative in the White House, if that's the lesson you are going to keep deriving from being spanked down by swing voters every time.

And interesting statistic:

Republicans have not garnered more votes than Democrats in the Presidential race since 1988.

Clinton: beat Bush
Clinton: beat Dole
Bush: lost to Gore (popular vote)
Bush: beat Kerry
Obama: beat McCain
Obama: beat Romney

You'd think they might start to see a pattern. One win in two decades? More Conservative, less Conservative, doesn't really seem to matter. Perhaps it's because they're wrong on so many issues?

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412925 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 5:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
The Republican war on math and science is coming home to roost. The Romney campaign cherry picked numbers they liked and dismissed the ones they didn't. But it was all the same data. The whole campaign was based on wishful thinking, and AFAIK, no Republican ever tried to talk them down out of the tree.

IMO, the Republican take on the polls was a lot like making lutefisk: you take your basic, dried fishy product, soak it in lie, neutralize the result, and call it good.

rj

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412932 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 6:02 PM

soak it in lie,

heh

Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412956 of 442472
Subject: Re: A white male schools the GOP Date: 11/13/2012 11:46 PM
Thus, about 110K fewer conservatives went to the polls in Ohio in 2012 than in 2008.

Possible and very probable...if your base is composed of angry old white males you should expect to be losing them, i.e. death, and shrinking your party.

The problem of pi$$ing of women (who live longer), rejecting anyone who is educated, or of mixed heritage, and/or poor is not a real good strategy long term.

md

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement