No. of Recommendations: 0
Alcoholics Anonymous founding document sells for $2.4M

Irsay, who was clearly excited about obtaining the manuscript during a telephone interview, said he considered remaining anonymous about purchasing the manuscript, but wanted to go public to try to relieve the stigma of alcoholism and addiction.

"The only way we stay sober is to give it away," Irsay said.

"I think it'll help a lot of people," he said. "That's the reason I'm doing it."

He said he attended his first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting 25 years ago, and marvels at the reach of the organization and what its founders built.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alcoholics-anonymous-founding-doc...

I never would have thought, before surrendering, that one who didn't love but, rather, held hostages.....would totally understand the statement "The only way we stay sober is to give it away".

But the "promises" keep coming true....a day at a time....even when faced with tougher life consequences than ever faced (or avoided) while active in my disease.

I am, and hope to always remain, deeply grateful for the gift of desperation that finally broke through the wall of denial......and grateful that the 2 men who came to pick me up for my first meeting, saw this character sitting on the trailer steps in so bad a shape that they drove by and stopped at the end of the road and had a serious conversation; which ended being resolved by the Principle: "When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there. And for that: I am responsible." They turned the vehicle around and stopped and picked me up....despite their misgivings. Both were 20+ year sobriety individuals, so one might be able to infer from that, what kind of shape I was in....

Thank you Doctor Bob and Bill W., for without you I would have died (if I was lucky) and because of you helping each other and reaching out, I've had so many good years in a life that I hated almost from birth, but in recovery have learned to love.

Helping others proves the rest of the promises

" If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
[page 83-84 of the Big Book]
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement