UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Solidago One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46811  
Subject: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 1/29/2004 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently got a special offer to join AAII at a reduced price. I can either select the regular membership or the enhanced membership, which costs almost twice as much, but comes with the Computerized Investing newsletter. What got me interested in AAII was their stock screens that include several value oriented screens.

My two questions are:
1. Is the membership to AAII worth while?
2. If so, is it worth the extra money to get the enhanced membership with Computerized Investing newsletter and its special site?

Solidago
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFDj111 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28167 of 46811
Subject: Re: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 1/29/2004 8:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
1. Is the membership to AAII worth while?

I was a member of AAII for five or six year until about 10 years ago.
- They offered a lot of good services
- Their monthly magazine was top-notch
- They offered their own conferences as well as information about other organizations' conferences
- The one time I called member services, the representative was effective, efficient, and polite
- I found AAII to be academic (on the one hand this, but on the other hand that)
- No particular reason for allowing my membership to lapse. My interests moved to other areas.
- You can get a reasonably good idea of the products and services you'll receive as an AAII member by poking around their web site. The good stuff is in the members only area, but there's a good sampling in the public area:
http://www.aaii.com/

2. If so, is it worth the extra money to get the enhanced membership with Computerized Investing newsletter and its special site?

I didn't subscribe to their computerized investing newsletter. I'm more of a buy-and-accumulate a few good issues investor, rather than a hunt for stocks meeting thus and so criteria investor. You might find some folks who subcribe to the current version of the newsletter on the Mechanical Investing discussion board:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100093

David Jacobs
TMFDj111

Author: jimpiccard Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28180 of 46811
Subject: Re: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 1/30/2004 1:08 AM
AAII's stuff is the dryest investing info journals around....and the ones with no real agendas, per se, other than the individual investor. That essentially means, they are probably the most trustworthy..and least colorful (do those always go together??) of investor stuff around.

So I finally gave in and just forked over the few hundred for lifetime membership; and the Computing one, too.
BUT...my biggest complaint...the turkeys are anti-investor in one very important area: they are truly anti-Mac compatible. The fact that millions of folks use Macs; that an even higher proportion of investors use Macs than the general population...doesn't move their grand poo-bah of computing one bit. That's the one, clear area where they do a disservice.
It's one thing to always start off with the platform that is (unfortunately) the most widespread; it's quite another to ignore all the others...and the millions that use them...and still claim to be 'for the investor'.

jp

Author: tlpriest Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28194 of 46811
Subject: Re: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 1/30/2004 11:13 AM
I'm an AAII member and feel it's worth it. The journals are dry (but my January issue came in color - a big change from the black and white of years past!) but provide what has always appeared to me to be unbiased information. I'd liken it to reading a medical journal, if I read such things.

January's table of contents:

Portfolio Strategies ... pg. 4
(Makeover for a Bear-Mauled Portfolio -- actually seemed a little untimely to me for this issue)

Stock Screening ... pg. 10
(Some folks at AAII have been tracking the performance of various stock screening methodologies, like Buffet and O'Neil, for about 10 years now and post yearly updates. They highlight a screen almost monthly and have the collected research on their web site for members - I find this information incredibly instructional, but your mileage will vary.)

Portfolio Manager Interview ... 17
(Brian Rogers, T. Rowe Price Equity Income Fund)

Mutual Funds ... 20
(Scandal and what to do about it)

A Matter of Opinion ... 24
(AAII Shadow Stocks Portfolio -- The Foolish 8 of the AAII world)

Stock Strategies ... 27
(When to sell and nail down profits)

Stock Strategies ... 31
(How Conference calls help investors to read the tea leaves)

I've not made it to one of their conferences yet, although I wanted to go to the one in Vegas last November.

Travis

Author: eeii Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28212 of 46811
Subject: Re: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 1/31/2004 12:29 AM
I too am a member of AAII.

I enjoy the journal and the computerized investing periodical as well. (Computerized Investing dissects different methodologies and how to implement them in their stock screener).

The Stock screener is a very flexible screener with lots of parameters and the ability to make custom parameters you can use in screens. It is based on a FoxPro database. Every month AAII sends a CD update or you can download (weekly) updates of the database. If you get the stock screener and want to download the updates (esp the full updated) a broadband connection is a big plus.

AAII local chapters have investment club "like" meetings used for educational activities. These are not "real" investment clubs where everyone kicks in real $$$, but they discuss investment ideas, give presentations etc. I have joined a local chapter (and given presentations).

They also sponsor lectures / presentations that cover a variety of topics (stocks, mutual funds, financial planning...) by professionals typically on a monthly (or every two months) basis.

ee

Author: Rijer One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28297 of 46811
Subject: Re: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 2/2/2004 12:14 PM
I am also a member of AAII and subscribe to the Computer Investing Newletter.

Note that the back isssues are all on their website in pdf format. It is worthwhile to review the back issues and catch up on the articles of interest.

Author: Solidago One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28304 of 46811
Subject: Re: AAII Membership - Opinions wanted Date: 2/2/2004 2:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I decided to just get the basic membership for now. I need to save as much money as posible in the next coming months, since my family's income has dropped more than 50%.

Solidago

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement