Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JenZen Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19372  
Subject: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/17/2007 4:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello All:

Am new to the board but since I'm newly retired, hope to be participating now that I have the time.

I'm 62 so of course health insurance is a big issue right now. I'm currently using Cobra. I am considering the AARP plan after that.

Does anyone have this insurance or experience with it?

Regards.

Jennifer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11328 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/17/2007 6:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Am new to the board but since I'm newly retired, hope to be participating now that I have the time.

I'm 62 so of course health insurance is a big issue right now. I'm currently using Cobra. I am considering the AARP plan after that.

Does anyone have this insurance or experience with it?

I don't know about the health insurance, but my dentist recommended that I get the AARP Delta Dental plan when my Cobra dental runs out. (My old firm continues medical insurance for 5 years service and 60 years, so don't have to worry about that. When medicare eligible medicare becomes primary and company insurance secondary -- not literally a medigap.)

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11329 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/17/2007 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
I am considering the AARP plan after that.

I don't know if you mean after you become eligible for Medicare, but once you start on Medicare, there are a lot of good companies offering Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) insurance and many of them are a lot cheaper than the AARP plan with the same coverage.

It pays to find a good agent or agents who offer plans from different companies so you can find the best fit for you. It's an advantage to compare plan rather than just defaulting to AARP.

Carol

Author: tilnow One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11330 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/18/2007 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 3
DorothyM wrote:
"my dentist recommended that I get the AARP Delta Dental plan when my Cobra dental runs out."

We've had the AARP Delta plan for two years and just paid a steeply higher premium for year 3. I called to ask why such a high jump and was told the first two years you are locked in with an introductory premium; after that it goes up every year.

Peridontal services are not covered during the first year. After that there are strict limits on services, i.e. only two cleanings yearly are covered although peridontal patients usually require 4. Prior to enrolling, we found it virtually impossible to learn exactly what was covered! Once you enroll and pay, a coverage contract is mailed to you.

If you're not in a metropolitan area, finding a participating provider can be difficult. Most dentists will accept AARP Delta, but aren't participating providers, so your co-pay can be much higher.

I suggest you calculate what you would pay out-of-pocket without dental ins. for the services you now use and expect soon. Year 3 insurance with AARP Delta for one person costs nearly $600.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11331 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/18/2007 11:43 AM
I suggest you calculate what you would pay out-of-pocket without dental ins. for the services you now use and expect soon.

While that is definitely useful, I mostly have insurance for the unexpected.

rad

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11333 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/18/2007 3:12 PM
My wife and I are responsible for an elderly person. Our friend has AARP medi-gap insurance and AARP Medicare Part D -- two separate policies.

You can save a buck or two with other companies -- in particularly if you want to comepar the cost of many mediciations for Part D. We started with a Humana plan and after one year the coverage decreases and the premiums went up. At that point we switched Part D to AARP.

It has been our experience the AARP insurances are above average in terms of coverage and have great customer support. It would take a significant cost advantage to consider a move.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11334 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/18/2007 11:09 PM
We started with a Humana plan and after one year the coverage decreases and the premiums went up

We have Humana Part D. My husband takes a lot of RX's. There was no change in the coverage and his cost actually decreased.

It has been our experience the AARP insurances are above average in terms of coverage and have great customer support

We have Plan F Medicare supplemental which I think should have the same coverage with every company. We've had great service and prompt payment. I changed my plan this year to a Mutual of Omaha company and the cost was about half what I had been paying and it was for the same coverage.

I believe the AARP supplement insurance is through United Healthcare. At least that's who used to provide it for AARP.

Carol

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11335 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/21/2007 8:49 AM
I suggest you calculate what you would pay out-of-pocket without dental ins. for the services you now use and expect soon. Year 3 insurance with AARP Delta for one person costs nearly $600.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have another ~16 months on Cobra so with first 2 years of Delta I'm good for 3+ years. I'll keep your warning in mind for cosideration shortly before my 3 years are up.

Two cleanings and exams a year will cost (at today's prices) ~$400 total, just a wee bit more than the current Delta premiums ($38.xx/month, with $1000 yearly benefit so the coverage makes sense. (My Cobra premium is $35.xx/month for $1500 total annual coverage.)

Author: tilnow One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11336 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/21/2007 9:32 AM
"Two cleanings and exams a year will cost (at today's prices) ~$400 total, just a wee bit more than the current Delta premiums ($38.xx/month, with $1000 yearly benefit so the coverage makes sense. (My Cobra premium is $35.xx/month for $1500 total annual coverage.)"

AARP/Delta pays a maximum 80% if the service is with a participating dentist. In remote rural areas like mine, there are no participating ones nearby so a local dentist who "accepts" AARP/Delta is used. Coverage then is much lower.

It's a good insurance. If the dentists office or AARP gives you an access code, you can check the Delta website for participating dentists in your area. Anyone near a city of any size should be able to find a participating dentist.

An interesting observation--we find that the same services we had been paying out-of-pocket before are billed lots higher under the insurance.

P.S. Dorothy, how do you show the message quote in italics for your reply? I use Windows EX and can't figure it out. Thanks.

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11337 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/21/2007 6:25 PM
how do you show the message quote in italics for your reply?

I'm not Dorothy, but here goes. The best directions are given at TMF's Help Center in the advanced features section. You can do both italics and bold

http://www.fool.com/help/index.htm?display=community02

It's the third item down on the list. Some people prefer using >>> before the quote and <<< after it.

Carol

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11341 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/22/2007 10:52 AM
Don't know where you live.

My cleaning charges are $85 in suburban Dallas. If you get Xrays, then it is about $165, but you only need them every year or 18 months if no other problems. If you want the doc to inspect your teeth, then add another $45. In any event, around $300 if managed right.

If you live near a dental school, possibly cut rate cleanings there.

Some folks head to Mexico for discount dental work at the clinics there. False teeth, crowns, bridges, etc....

The killer comes if you need crowns or bridges. That can set you back a thosand bucks, and figure they might need replacing at 10 years - 15 if you are lucky.

t.

Author: adman37 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11345 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/25/2007 4:37 PM
You might want to check out United Concordia for their dental plans. I am retired but my company kept me on the group plan with United. The individual rates might be a bit higher, but they should still be competitive

Author: NoEmotions One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11354 of 19372
Subject: Re: AARP Health insurance Date: 5/31/2007 12:47 PM
have Delta Dental, but I also have a barter deal with my dentist. He provides discounted dental services, I provide discounted investment recommendations. I retired as a Venture Capital Portfolio Manager in October 1995 when I was 51.

Dear Kahuna, CFA,

Though I don't know you personally, I do admire your investing prowess and the fact that in a previous email you stated that you had averaged 24% returns for a number of years. I would say that is "pretty good". :)

I am wondering about your investing strategy. LTB&H works well, but having read "Rule#1 Investor", there is also that concept that states "sell when the technicals signal SELL (and when the price begins to drop), and buy when the techicals say BUY), or when there is potential future value in a company. This is more like trading I would say.

This current run up of the bulls is wonderful and bodes well for us all, but I am concerned about holding on too long. Right now there are no real issues in my portfolio, but I can sense that in time there will be.

What are your thoughts if you don't mind me askin', regarding LTB&H and the philosophy that states sell when the technicals say sell and buy when the technicals say buy.

Right now, I suscribe to both philosophies. For this year, my NYSE stocks are running a 13% growth which is not too above the averages, and my NASDAQ stocks are running almost 20% growth and the NASDAQ has a roughly 5% growth.

Sincerely,
Rhett

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement