Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66  
Subject: About the Board - Procedures Date: 11/4/2009 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
All are welcome to post about Fiber arts. The guidelines for posting on The Fool apply, of course. And there are a couple other things...

* Everyone is equal.

* Everyone has value.

* Recognizing this, we leave our egos at the door along with any
agendas we may have.

* Communication will be open and courteous.

* Flames tend to damage fibers, in whatever forms the fibers may take. So they are not allowed on this board. There are plenty of other boards that encourage such interaction. This is not one of them.

I am knowledgeable about knitting and crochet, sort of. At least, I enjoy them and am interested in learning more. I would love to learn to spin. My grandmother wove (I didn't know this until maybe two years ago. Funny what you don't know!) and I find that interesting, too. I love rich textiles.

So, how about everyone else?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am knowledgeable about knitting and crochet, sort of. At least, I enjoy them and am interested in learning more. I would love to learn to spin. My grandmother wove (I didn't know this until maybe two years ago. Funny what you don't know!) and I find that interesting, too. I love rich textiles.

So, how about everyone else?

Hi Beej! I love the idea of this board, sorry it took me so long to find it. Had a very busy end of the semester and wasn't checking out anything but the regulars:0)

I love working with fiber/thread/yarn/textiles and would love to get back into it as a hobby. Back in the late 80s, when I was very ambitious, I used to cross stitch our annual Christmas cards. I haven't done that in years, but maybe I'll do it again this coming year? Also, I have a cross stitch kit given to me by a dear co-worker in 2001 that hasn't ever been worked. I also have several scarves that I made last year with my knifty knitter. I wanted to learn to knit, but I seem to have misplaced my teach yourself to knit kit!

So far this year I have helped DD#2 with repairing the bag she made in a textiles class last year. Braith got hold of it, but we managed to use mending tape and thread and it's almost good as new.

I'm thinking crochet may be the next thing I work on this winter. We're expecting lows in the 20s this Thursday and the idea of sitting with a project in my lap is appealing:0)

LWW

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 1:42 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hi, LWW -

I really should get cracking setting up the FAQ's for this board.

Cross-stitching Christmas cards??? Can I get on your list?

I've found that pets and textiles of any sort tend to have rather...dramatic...interactions. Braith is too cute to mind any damage she did.

I remember a friend of a friend who had made a hat for one of her kids. The family dog latched on to it, took it out into the yard and chomped on it and slobbered on it and ran all over the place with it (rural Virginia, near Lynchburg), then buried it under a rosebush.

The woman who made it discovered it the next summer while doing some gardening. She thought the color and texture was pretty interesting, so she entered it in a local crafts fair and actually won a prize.

go figure.

;-)

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 1:50 PM
so she entered it in a local crafts fair and actually won a prize.

The finder won a prize? That just doesn't seem right.

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 1:52 PM
I'm thinking crochet may be the next thing I work on this winter

Any advice on how a non-crocheter can fix some raveling on a granny square afghan?

~~ Alison

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:01 PM
The finder won a prize? That just doesn't seem right.

I don't think the dog was allowed in the hall. The finder was the crafter...

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:02 PM
Any advice on how a non-crocheter can fix some raveling on a granny square afghan?

How is it raveling? Is it just coming apart, or is it actually unraveling? Granny squares aren't too hard to do (if you crochet, which I just realized you said you don't).

Can you post a photo? A needle and thread may do the trick...

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:08 PM
The finder was the crafter...

Sorry -- I totally misread the original post -- oops!

;^D

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:23 PM
How is it raveling?

The squares are each 6x6, including the black border, with a total size of 10 by 13 squares.

One center is completely gone, although the thread is still dangling. 3 or 4 centers are starting to go, either the center motif or one of the corners in the next level. One outside corner (well, inside the black border) is completely gone. 3 or 4 corners are starting to go. It's about a dozen, at first glance.

Needle and thread might work for one or two -- I'm living proof of what happens when "a stitch in time" isn't done. <g>

As far as pictures, I can just about manage to download and email, so no, there isn't a link.

We had a knitter visiting over the holidays, but she doesn't crochet. Ah well.

if you crochet, which I just realized you said you don't

Closest I came was to attempt bead crochet, but it wasn't pretty.

;^D

Thanks ~~ Alison

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:39 PM
It sounds as though this afghan has some meaning and value for you.

You're in VA, as I recall. Why don't you contact a local yarn store and ask them about fixing it?

Go to http://www.mapmuse.com/. In the drop-down box for interests to map, pick "knitting / crocheting / yarn shops'. Select your city or region and look them up.

A lot of yarn stores have knitting/crocheting groups and there are usually people there, whether proprietors or customers, who are willing to help out, sometimes free.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:45 PM

Tough one. In a pinch I have been known to take a really large tapestry needle and pull the threads back through so I could place a know to stop any further unraveling, but otherwise, I'd just rework the part that came loose. I found a loose crochet hook in my closet last night and have a sinking feeling that I'll soon be having to rework my latest throw!

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:53 PM
Cross-stitching Christmas cards??? Can I get on your list?

We'll see if I can get any of them done. I haven't seen the patterns for ages. They used to come in little kits that had the piece of fabric, floss, needle, pattern and card. They were really a lot of fun to make. The place I got them from "The Stitchery" went out of business a number of years ago. Maybe I can find some either online or at a crafts store.

I've found that pets and textiles of any sort tend to have rather...dramatic...interactions. Braith is too cute to mind any damage she did.

Yes, Braith was very lucky that she's DD#2s favorite. Otherwise, puppy heads would roll! But when she looks at you with those sweet brown eyes that look for the world like she's saying "What?? You talkin' to me?" you really can't get too upset with her.

The woman who made it discovered it the next summer while doing some gardening. She thought the color and texture was pretty interesting, so she entered it in a local crafts fair and actually won a prize.

Maybe it just needed that aged, antiqued look:0)

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 2:56 PM
One center is completely gone, although the thread is still dangling. 3 or 4 centers are starting to go, either the center motif or one of the corners in the next level. One outside corner (well, inside the black border) is completely gone. 3 or 4 corners are starting to go. It's about a dozen, at first glance.

Just read this, so disregard my previous post. Sounds like it's coming apart from the inside? I'm at a loss for that. As Beej suggested, maybe someone at your local yarn store could help?

LWW

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 3:55 PM
It sounds as though this afghan has some meaning and value for you.

Ummm, tough call <g>. Late MIL made it, but partly in competition to do something MY mother couldn't do. I'm the one who uses it, but DH has never commented about it. I wonder if he even remembers his mother making it over 30 years ago.

You're in VA, as I recall. Why don't you contact a local yarn store and ask them about fixing it?

Great idea -- thanks, beej!

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 3:58 PM
"The Stitchery" went out of business a number of years ago.

I remember "The Stitchery" -- I've probably got one of their old catalogs lying around. They had some beautiful stuff!

And I think I remember cross stitch Christmas cards as well, but not as something I wanted to attempt.

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 3:59 PM
Sounds like it's coming apart from the inside?

Yeah, I guess, but thankfully it's only about 1/10 of the squares.

Thanks for the thought!

~~ Alison

Author: Dafluffernut2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 6:44 PM
Ummmmmmm

http://www.thestitchery.com/

still getting catalogs. :o)

I started life as a crewel fiend and moved on to needlepoint. I was told by a man on a train that needlepoint was "a new thing - for people who are too lazy to do an entire cross stitch".

I chose not to correct him.

Fluff

Author: Dafluffernut2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 6:47 PM
I read the entire thread and had a thought: I'm not sure what yarn she might have used 30 years ago, but the dye and or mordant might be making some of the colors wear out. By any chance are the holes that are forming the same color yarn?

One thought I have is to make a new center and simply graft it on to the one wearing out. Might or might not work, but would be worth a try. The LYS might be able to say whether that would work.

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/5/2010 7:01 PM
the dye and or mordant might be making some of the colors wear out.

I suppose that's possible, but it doesn't appear to be fading.

By any chance are the holes that are forming the same color yarn?

Nope. The threads that are coming loose are black, red, brown, white, gray, orange, multi-browns, light blue -- the whole rainbow, except purple.

I'm thinking the LYS (learned a new acronym, LOL!) might be the best option.

Thanks ~~ Alison

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/6/2010 10:35 AM
still getting catalogs. :o)

Ooh! Thanks for the link! I had no idea that 1) it was a national chain and 2) that they were still in business. The store that was in our area was so tiny, I just assumed that it was locally owned. I am totally going to check out their selections!

LWW

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/6/2010 10:37 AM
I am totally going to check out their selections!

What would we do without enablers???

You do know that you must post photos of any project, right???

...Oh, wait. That's right - I haven't set up the FAQs yet...

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 1/6/2010 10:42 AM
What would we do without enablers???

Have a lot more money in our retirement accounts?? :0)

You do know that you must post photos of any project, right???

I'll do my best. I'm not exactly techno savvy when it comes to the photo thing. I am currently trying to remember my Flickr account info!

...Oh, wait. That's right - I haven't set up the FAQs yet...

Get crtackin' Missy! We need to know the rules, ya know? :0)

LWW

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 2/11/2010 6:32 AM
Recommendations: 2
The squares are each 6x6, including the black border, with a total size of 10 by 13 squares.

I know I'm late to this thread. I know you said you don't crochet, but if and when you do, it sounds like the starting loop was made backwards. The knot part of the beginning loop should be made with the cut end of the yarn and the actual loop should be made with the uncut end of yarn. If it's done the other way around, the loop can come free and the afghan unravels as you're seeing now. I can't help much on fixing it online (I could help in person), but I can help prevent it from happening again.
Kathleen

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50 of 66
Subject: Re: About the Board - Procedures Date: 2/11/2010 11:56 AM
Thanks, Kathleen!

<i.it sounds like the starting loop was made backwards.

That could indeed be a possibility. I don't know that she had ever crocheted before, so this might have been her learning experience.

~~ Alison

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement