UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: larryjee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308365  
Subject: Re: Spouse Could Care Less (long) Date: 8/17/2001 3:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
about the husband that is running up the debt.. I was married to two women, neither of whom could understand my finances nor could i understand their approach to finances. I have since learned, that what to me are among ehe easiest things in life - balancing a checkbook, living within your means, and saving for a rainy-day period, completely confuse and baffle others. There are too hassles, problems and issues related to life in general to screw up your entire life by trying to explain to someone that spending is not saving, even if it was bought 'on-sale.'

my only advise, if that is what you are looking for, cancel ALL credit cards, and DO NOT open any more. If you do, open only under your middle and maiden name with a special password that he'll never figure out, and the statements going to either an email or post office box.

once this is done, publish a notice that you are no longer responsible for his debts, open a separate checking and savings account, and make a decision about serving the papers on him. He will NEVER change and you either must get used to being always frustrated and in debt, or get a fresh start. Even if you move all the debts to him when you separate, if he declares bankruptcy or doesnt pay them off, it will be reflected in your credit rating, so you might have to bite the bullet and accept the debts as yours - they are in your name, and pay them off.

no matter how much you really are madly in love with this guy, the frustration and aggravation that you feel about the debts will over-shadow any warm and fuzzy feelings that you might have and lead to continuous arguements, tension, illness, sleeplessness and other types of symptoms totally unrelated to the debt - such as alcohol, drugs, over/under eating and on and on. Actually if you re-read your letter/posing, i think that you will see that you already are aware that the situation is not going to improve, and there is only one optimal course of action to take.

post how it goes.

good luck .
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement