Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Australopithecus One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27  
Subject: About this board Date: 2/14/2006 12:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Greetings fellow fools!

I requested this board because today's science fiction has a way of becoming tomorrow's reality. Advances in science and technology are constantly creating new industries that often defy categorization under any current terminology - who could have predicted a market for podcasting thirty years ago?

While traditional fields of study (biology, chemistry, physics etc.)
advance more or less incrementally, the truly stunning breakthroughs
often seem to occur at the intersections of these disciplines or from their application in areas hitherto considered to be unrelated - for example, consider that I might soon be able to purchase a movie ticket securely by exploiting quantum entanglement?

I would like "Brave New World" to be a discussion board for looking over the horizon at future technologies that have the potential to change the way we communicate, get around, generate energy, treat disease etc. and what impact they might have on current technologies and industries.

BTW: Like the Fools themselves, Aldous Huxley borrowed from Shakespeare, so "Brave New World" does seem particularly appropriate here.

In the hope that a good time will be had by all.

Best

Gordon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 27
Subject: Re: About this board Date: 2/16/2006 10:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations on your new board.

I found it while looking for new boards on TMFSelena's new and notable boards. It may take a while for people to find your board, I'm not sure how many actually go looking for one (unless they've become a bit bored like me with their usual ones that seem to have a dearth of messages of late).

However, I will mention it to a few whom I think may take an interest.

As for me, I am a mechanical engineer who used to work for various aerospace companies back in the 80's and 90's. My last project was developing the operations plan for constructing a solar power satellite in orbit. (one that makes power to beam it to earth, not that merely uses solar power to maintain it's systems.

I've been "retired" since 94 and have gotten away from the technical end of things so I may lurk until something comes up that I can discuss intelligently. (heck while I know of podcasts, I don't even own an mp3 player so even that type of discussion is out of my league at the moment.

I do watch a lot of tech documentaries and such on tv as well as read science fiction and have always been fascinated by subjects such as paleontology (now to date myself, I loved the Louis Leakey specials on tv when I was a kid), the construction of ancient structures, the development of machines, etc. (hmmm, must be why I went into engineering!).

But you've got me on movie tickets, security and quantum entanglements.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on that one?

:-)

RM

Author: Australopithecus One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 27
Subject: Re: About this board Date: 2/18/2006 12:21 AM
Recommendations: 0
Dear RM

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. With your background, you seem like you would be the kind of person who could contribute to and enjoy this board a great deal. I hope you'll consider sharing some of your expertise with us.

In the meantime, in answer to your question about quantum cryptography, I have posted part 1 of my response (it seemed like it would be too long a post to do in one go so I split it up). I hope you enjoy it and please don't hesitate to start your own discussion threads. I would love to hear more about solar powered satellites that are constructed in orbit.

Best

Gordon

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement