Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2839  
Subject: Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Date: 11/7/2012 3:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I had a bottle of homebrew that I made in 1994 that won 2nd place in the Del Mar Fair (San Diego County Fair) in 1994. Over the years, I had used it as a prop to display the ribbon. Since I'm going to be moving soon, I targeted it as one more thing to throw away. As an afterthought, I decided to put it in the fridge and see what it tasted like after 18 years of storage in less than optimal conditions (to say the least!!!).

Well, as I am sitting here typing, I am halfway through the bottle! I'm shocked, I tell ya! Shocked!!!

I expected it to be flat. It's not! It's still lightly carbonated - pretty much the same level of carbonation that I usually do on my homebrews of dark ale.

I expected it to taste awfull. I doesn't! It still tastes like a quality dark ale!!!

It's a dammed good brew after 18 years at room temperature storage!!!

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It defies common sense!

I don't recommend storing beer that long, but who'd a thunk it!

I have another bottle in the fridge that won 1st place in the Del Mar Fair in 1995. I'll pop that one open tomorrow. I still don't expect it to be any good, but who knows? I still can't believe the one I'm drinking is 18 years old!!!!

OleDoc
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2692 of 2839
Subject: Re: Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Date: 11/8/2012 12:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Do you still remember the recipe?

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2693 of 2839
Subject: Re: Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Date: 11/8/2012 3:48 AM
Recommendations: 2
Do you still remember the recipe?

Me, remember? Well, no! LOL! But, the WAY BACK machine remembers...

http://boards.fool.com/tule-buck-special-dark-ale-11217725.a...

No problem with tweeking it a bit. I've used other yeast and still got good results (e.g. Safale 05 and Nottingham).

OleDoc

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2694 of 2839
Subject: Re: Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Date: 11/8/2012 4:00 AM
Recommendations: 2
I have another bottle in the fridge that won 1st place in the Del Mar Fair in 1995. I'll pop that one open tomorrow. I still don't expect it to be any good, but who knows?

Okay. It was not as well carbonated - not flat - it still hissed a bit when uncapped - but definitely low on carbonation. However, it did not have any "off" flavors that you might expect for a brew that old. It aged well!!! (Wish I could say the same for myself!!!)

I ended up mixing some of it with Bud Light to provide more carbonation. Even diluted, it made an excellent amber ale! Lots of flavor still after all those years!!!

So, that's basically 2 for 2 for aging quality brews for many years. That goes against the grain (pun intended) for aging beer. All that I can think of right now is that, if you use quality ingredients and quality techniques to make a good brew, there is no reason to expect the beer quality to decrease drastically over several years.

I'm still shocked!!!

I wouldn't have believed it if someone else had posted it!!! LOL!!!

OleDoc

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2695 of 2839
Subject: Re: Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Date: 11/8/2012 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 5
I ended up mixing some of it with Bud Light to provide more carbonation.

*faint*

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement