UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884569  
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 10:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Absolutely. I got a kindle last year and I've probably spent way more on books then I was before. Some of the paperbacks that are 5.99 at Target are 8.99 on Kindle!! This pisses me off and many times I won't buy them just for that reason.

I do buy a lot of independent authors and free books, so some of it may balance out. Still. I went to the library the other day because I couldn't stomach the thought of paying 13.99 for a non-physical book. I think ebook pricing is currently WAY too high.

I agree on some titles that prices are too high. (I've paid $14 for an e-book, but those are non-fiction mostly science titles where I figure they aren't going to sell that many copies and years of research went into the work). I think the prices are going to start to drop, or hold steady while inflation goes up (so an effective drop).

First because several publishing houses just lost court cases on charges of price fixing and others are in the process. So the "we tell you what you can sell our books for" is going to go away and places like Amazon can get back to selling certain titles for a loss. Second, as library systems offer more and more e-book titles for borrowing consumers have the decision "do I buy this title or do I get it for free but have to wait to get it until the person in front of me returns it". I think a person is more likely to go ahead and pay $5 for the convenience of not waiting then $10. Third, the rise of smaller "presses" and self-publishing is going to put pressure on it as well. Why should I pay $15 for an ebook new release when I have so many other titles to read for $1-$3 and next year I can get the exact same e-book version for $8? A Possible Fourth, I wonder if Amazon Prime is going to test the waters on for-profit libraries. I'm getting to borrow 12 books a year for $79 (plus the two day shipping, etc). Would I and others be willing to pay an extra $25 for 24 or 36 books a year if they also drastically increased the selection? Especially if it meant getting to borrow books for "free" that library systems probably won't purchase for another year or longer?

A friend of mine is in the middle of getting her Masters in Library Sciences and she's really liking the way libraries are looking to update themselves into "community hubs" instead of "old lady shushing you and driving the kids out". Our library system has completely revamped in the last few years and went from one of the worst library systems in the state to winning a national award in 2010. It has a cafe, a big indoor "quiet" play area for kids, comfy chairs, skylights and nice carpeting. They offer classes and workshops and even "homework hours" for the kids. It feels like a place you would want to just sit and read for a couple hours.

Lara Amber
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement