Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: saintjadee Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 537  
Subject: Abuse of KETRA?? Date: 11/6/2005 8:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Something about this bothers me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ketra_full

Granted I would contribute to ARI just about as much as I would to the so called victims of Katrina (with the exception of the MSPCA special fund), still taking a benefit meant to help disaster victims no matter how undeserving just seems wrong. Of course if I saw that ARI was distributing copies of Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead to victims so they had something to read in the shelters maybe I could see the correlation...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 523 of 537
Subject: Re: Abuse of KETRA?? Date: 11/6/2005 10:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
How is it wrong to have less of your money stolen?

tngirl

Author: saintjadee Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 524 of 537
Subject: Re: Abuse of KETRA?? Date: 11/6/2005 2:42 PM
Since your obviously taking an anarchistic/libertarian stance the question is rhetorical. However as an Objectivist I may disagree with the current system and still understand it is the current system so therefore not theft. I wouldn't pay any more taxes than I am legally obligated to pay and certainly will take all available deductions, credits, etc. but bottom line is I will pay my taxes. I did state however I am having a problem with whether ARI's encouraging people to give to ARI and not to some organization adding value to the recovery from Katrina isn't abusing this one time offer and being hypocritical or at least at odds with it's Objectivist stance.

It's not a question of legality but one of morality. Given ARI's stance must also disagree with the current tax system is it really philosophically correct for them to seek gain from a rule they must from an Objectivist viewpoint disagree with. Is it what's good for the goose is also ok for the organization that claims ownership of Objectivism lock, stock and barrel???

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 525 of 537
Subject: Re: Abuse of KETRA?? Date: 11/7/2005 10:34 AM
Recommendations: 1
I did state however I am having a problem with whether ARI's encouraging people to give to ARI and not to some organization adding value to the recovery from Katrina isn't abusing this one time offer and being hypocritical or at least at odds with it's Objectivist stance.

ARI is providing *intellectual* diaster relief. This is not immoral, hypocritical or abusing the current tax system.

tngirl

Author: saintjadee Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 526 of 537
Subject: Re: Abuse of KETRA?? Date: 11/9/2005 10:43 AM
ARI is providing *intellectual* diaster relief.

Thought we were being rational here...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement