Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: skorthos Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: ACA surcharge Date: 3/4/2014 5:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This may be off-topic for this board and if so, I apologize in advance. Maybe you can head me in the right direction.

My wife and I have our taxes prepared by a financial services company that we have used for many years, Our connection to them came through my original tax preparer from about 30 years ago, and when he joined the company, we continued to do our tax preparation with him. He retired this year and the company hired a new tax guy to replace him.

When we received our tax packages, we found in the bill an "ACA surcharge" of $100 for each of us. We asked about it and we were told by this new tax guy that he had to create a huge, complicated spreadsheet to respond to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Further, his assistant had to take eight hours of courses to learn about the ACA and all of his clients were being charged this same $100.

I said that since my wife and I both had very good health insurance plans through our employers, and neither of us earned more than $200,000, or ran a company with employees, we should not need the benefits of his complicated spreadsheet nor the course work of his assistant. I suggested that he could have included checkboxes on the detailed tax questionnaire that he sent out prior to tax preparation, and those checkboxes would tell him all he needed to know about how the Affordable Care Act applied to us.

Am I wrong about this? Is everyone who uses a tax preparer paying a surcharge for the Affordable Care Act?

skorthos
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement