No. of Recommendations: 2
Accepting it is tiring looks like the only realistic choice.

I look at long flights almost like a guilty pleasure. I get to watch movies that my wife doesn't want to watch (I secretly enjoy the Fast and the Furious franchise which I only watch on airplanes), long blocks of uninterrupted time for reading, and so on. I like to have a variety of choices available to match whatever mood I'm in.

I bring my own food on long flights. For example, sandwiches with high quality bread and high quality ingredients, cut up vegetables for snacks, some charcuterie, etc. Airline food isn't very tasty and usually isn't very good for you either, typically way too salty. So I feel better and enjoy my meal more if I bring my own. I also make sure I am well hydrated. The airlines are pretty good about giving you all the water you want, but I make sure I've got my own bottle.

The jury is still out on compression socks for me. Some people swear by them, and I think they make my legs feel better after a long flight, but I sure like taking them off as soon as possible. One thing I always do is get up every hour or so and do some arm and leg stretches, as well as some leg exercises like calf raises, deep kneebends, etc. And I do a fair number of reps. Sometimes I get funny looks, but there is no question I feel better after the flight.

Which brings me to another point: Booze. Most experts recommend not drinking during flight for a variety of reasons. I disagree. I think a drink really takes the edge off. I always get doubles when I fly in first class or internationally. Makes for a much nicer flight in my opinion.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement