Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
According to the IRS, I must work full-time in the new general area for at least 39 weeks withing the first 12 months after I arrive there. I will have worked a full 52 weeks, but only about 26 weeks per year.

It's 39 weeks in the first 12 months, not in a calendar year.

I have two questions. First, can I deduct my moving expenses.

Yes. See Publication 521.

Second, if so, can I deduct them for the 2002 or 2003 year?

Assuming there's no reimbursement, you deduct them in the year in which you pay them.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.