Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Marxtacy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 919  
Subject: Accounting for used CD sales? Date: 9/21/2002 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm sure most everybody here concedes that declining new cd sales probably has a lot to do with the economy, and the negative effect of file sharing networks on cd sales is dubious.

But, what about the growth of USED CD shops and the availability of used CDs on Ebay, half.com, and similar sites? Here in Columbus, I can think of at least 6 used cd shops next to Ohio State University, and they all seem to do brisk business. Tens of thousands of used cds can be, and are, purchased off the internet.

Unlike file-sharing, this is actual money being spent on music that could have been used to buy a brand new cd. Instead of buying a new cd, there are plenty of times where I've chosen to buy two used cds.

The individuals who have demonstrated their willing to pay for music, but rarely buy a new CD (i.e., newly resleased or opened old release) should be the focus. However, this is not brought up because it makes two shortcomings of the record instdustry clear: 1. There is a lack of newly released CDs (i.e., unavailable used) worth buying; 2. Record labels' back catalogs are over-priced. It makes no sense to pay 14 dollars for Metallica's first album when you can buy it used for 7 dollars (espeically if you can easily return it if it doesn't play properly).

I love music, and I am willing to pay for music that I like. I have purchased nearly 400 CDs over the past 10 years. Yet, these days, I only buy about 8 new CDs a year. These are either CDs difficult to find used, or (less often) new releases. I have a very short list of musicians whose music I look forward to buying soon after it is released. I can easily find 2 used CDs THAT I ALREADY KNOW I LIKE for the price of one new CD.

Actually, I do sometimes buy a new CD even if a used copy is readily available. I doubt money from used cd sales make it back to the artists. This weighs on me because there are truly some great musicians out there that need to be compensated for their dedication, creativity, and hard work.

marxtacy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement