Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5037  
Subject: accused dental molester Date: 8/27/2011 10:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm considering no longer getting dental insurance. It's 45/month, and we got full benefit in only 2 of the past 9 years (my crowns). We would've done better to go bare, but the future could be different...we're 62 now. But I digress..

In doing my due diligence, googling for fees of the dental practice I use, I learned that the lead dentist was recently arrested for child molestation. Must've made a big news splash, but I was in NY at the time and my husband immersed in spring semester, so we never knew about it.

I was never super-crazy about the guy (although my brother, a retired dentist, interviewed him and gave him a thumbs-up) or his female jr partner who just gave me a crown, but they seemed reasonably competent from my lay perspective. I;ve had other dentists I liked much better when I lived elsewhere. The hygienists, dental assistants and office staff are very nice and competent AFAIK.

Would you change dentists? Maybe he's innocent, and he isn't practicing now anyway, though I assume he benefits financially from the practice since he owns it. I might add that I was considering changing practices since I took my friend to get dental implant work--her dentist gently walked her out to my car and went over the instructions with me twice to be sure I knew how to take care of her. He seemed very caring, and also donates a day a week to the free clinic for the poor/unemployed in our county, one of the few dentists in private practice who do so (most are students at the local dental school and their professors). But he has a much fancier office and presumably costs more. My friend has moved away, but I can ask her about the fees.

Sorry I've muddled up this support-the-accused-molester business with other issues...feel free to comment on any of it. Now my tummy hurts...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4438 of 5037
Subject: Re: accused dental molester Date: 8/27/2011 2:04 PM
I would be very uncomfortable continuing to go to a clinic with a similar type situation.

My chiropractor made a comment one day a couple months ago about people nowadays getting upset when adults touch kids' butts. It really threw me! My rational mind made excuses, like "well, maybe some people don't understand that in chiropractic kids butts are going to get touched", but now something else has come up that has forced me to quit going to him. And I'm glad.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4439 of 5037
Subject: Re: accused dental molester Date: 8/27/2011 2:05 PM
By the way, you could google his name along with the word 'arrest' and/or 'child molestation'. There may be some newspaper articles.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4440 of 5037
Subject: Re: accused dental molester Date: 8/29/2011 6:50 PM
First is he a Good dentist. And I think you answered that.

I am not a fan of changing dentists. You lose a lot of history in x-rays and a lot of dentists will not fully release your records unless you make a stink about it.

But this guy may have questionable morals. I might wait until he goes to trial to be certain, but I understand why you would not want to support him if the accusation is correct.

So my though is can you confirm for yourself the charges are justified?
Not really whether he is guilty as charged, but justified. Is someone trying to make a $ killing by suing the dentist? Have a grudge? Any past history?
And those would be the data needed to leave or stay.

On your first thought we decided on a secondary policy which did not include dentistry when my Mom was in her 80's. The direct cost of 2 cleanings per year was much less than the cost of insurance. After 2 years the money saved would equal a filling. So how are your teeth? If you have a lot of fillings, bridges, crowns it might be worth keeping it because they don't last forever.

jC

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4443 of 5037
Subject: Re: accused dental molester Date: 9/4/2011 3:07 PM
a lot of dentists will not fully release your records unless you make a stink about it.
In a lot of states, it is state law that those records/x-rays have to be forwarded.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4444 of 5037
Subject: Re: accused dental molester Date: 9/5/2011 12:38 AM
, it is state law that those records/x-rays have to be forwarded.

True. In my state they worded the law funny to mean "the most recent records" which might be as long as 2 years. Since I have had the same dentist since '95 or so the past history is gone.

jC

ps - palindrome.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4445 of 5037
Subject: Re: accused dental molester Date: 9/8/2011 7:36 PM
You know, I found this guy's picture, and I don't think I'd go back to him.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement